Pediasure

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by deniseandtwins, Jun 10, 2008.

1. deniseandtwins

deniseandtwins Well-Known Member

One of my friends gave me two six packs of PediaSure. I've never used this before. My friend loves the product, and told me to give the twins some.

I tried my twins on a little. They really love it! But one negative, after drinking it my ds vomited twice. He threw up a couple hours after drinking about 2oz of it.

Now I don't know if it's the PediaSure or something else. He loves finding little pieces of paper & eating it.. :blink:

Anyway, if you use it is it as good as my friend makes out?

2. kstar

kstar Well-Known Member

I gave it to my girls for a little while after they came off formula and switched to whole milk. They are both pretty small for their age and didn't eat much or drink much milk so my ped suggested it to help keep putting on weight.

I think that we only used it for a few months until they started drinking more milk and eating a little better.

3. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

I give it to my boy on my ped. recommendation because he is so skinny and doesn't like to eat. He much prefers to play!? So, he gets a little each day with breakfast.

4. noahandjacobsmom

noahandjacobsmom Well-Known Member

My guys will split a bottle of pedisure in their sippy cups of milk sometimes twice a day. They have had four surgeries for ears and sinus these past six months and lost weight. When they are eating real good I do not supplement with it. When they are going through a lull with eating I add it to the milk cups. I have rarely given it to them "straight"; I usually cut it with the milk.

5. Hillybean

Hillybean Well-Known Member

The girls each get a bottle before bed. They both fell of their curves a bit at their 18 month appointments. The pedi recommended it but I am hoping they won't need it after their 2 year appointment. It is super expensive and we go through about 2 and 1/4 packages a week.

6. aandax246

aandax246 Well-Known Member

Most definitely! I'm always concerned the boys as they get older don't get the vitamins and nutrients they need as they get pickier with what they eat, so I resort to pediasure. Also for juice I will give the V-8 splash or the various type juices that have both fruit and a serving of vegetables. The juice is pretty expensive comparatively, but for some reason Walmart has it on sale 2 for $2.00 this week versus $3.00 per bottle. I checked the expiration and stocked up on it. I pick up a six pack of pediasure everytime I grocery shop.

7. yovanka

yovanka Member

My Pedi also recommended it for my boys because they are having trouble putting on weight but it's so expensive I am in talks with my health insurance to see if they help pay for it if my pedi writes me a RX for it.

8. deniseandtwins

Thank you for your posts!

So if my twins are not eating well, but their weights are ok I should not be giving them Pediasure?

With not well I mean: There are days they'll eat almost anything I offer, but more than not they refuse or only take little bites.

9. aandax246

aandax246 Well-Known Member

Denise, the boys weights were fine but on days when they didn't eat or didn't get a well balanced meal, I would still supplement the pediasure. I know they could probably have done without it and it is expensive, but it was for my piece of mind. I knew it had the vitamins and nutrients in it they needed so I was willing to splurge for my own piece of mind. It definitely didn't hurt them.

10. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

My ped said if my boys dropped from their curve any more or if their diet/consumption became more restricted that she would suggest it (for the extra calories) but otherwise there was no need for it. Perhaps, if you're wondering about it, you should ask your ped and see what he/she has to say.

Remember too, that you have to look at what they eat over a week to get a better idea of how well they are eating. It's hard to evaluate on a day to day basis so my ped recommends that I pay more attention to what they eat overall in a week (some days they eat everything, some days hardly anything but in a week it all seems to balance out fairly well...for us).

11. deniseandtwins

True!

Right now both the twins are cutting more teeth so they're refusing more solid food. Although the yoghurts & puree'd foods they'll still eat.

My dd is cutting all her eye teeth at once! Poor darling! I am constantly getting nipped by her!

Thanks for the replies!

12. Jennie-OH

Jennie-OH Well-Known Member

Mandi dropped from the 25th% to the 5th% (!!!) at her 3yr wcv so the pedi recommended giving it to her. She HATED the chocolate. HATED the strawberry. LOVES!!!! the banana. So, we go through about 1-1/2 packs/wk for just her. We have to have a weight check done in September. Will let you know if it's helping (though I think it is based on her clothes and her cute little belly bulge she's getting).