Pediatrician - When did you first meet?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Stinkpea, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Stinkpea

Stinkpea Well-Known Member

Hi - just curious about when you first see a peditrician.

I am supposed to meet with mine in the next couple weeks and then he will also be present at the birth to evaluate the babes as soon as they are born.

Is this how it works over there? Just curious as I haven't heard anyone mention it, and I was wondering at what no. of weeks you would have first met?

Am I making any sense? [​IMG]

2. Stinkpea

Stinkpea Well-Known Member

Hi - just curious about when you first see a peditrician.

I am supposed to meet with mine in the next couple weeks and then he will also be present at the birth to evaluate the babes as soon as they are born.

Is this how it works over there? Just curious as I haven't heard anyone mention it, and I was wondering at what no. of weeks you would have first met?

Am I making any sense? [​IMG]

3. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

We met a couple days after we were released from the hospital when we went to the office for a weight check. I had to choose my ped quickly when I went into the hospital with PTL at 29 weeks. Thankfully one of my mom's friends was visiting me at the time and she is a pediatric nurse. She recommended one of her docs so I went with it. She was not the doc in the hospital when I delivered, one of the other docs in the practice was so I didn't actually meet her until K&K were about a week old. I am extremely happy with our choice, no complaints and soo thankful my mom's friend happened to be there at the right second. An unorthodox was to do it but it worked none the less.

4. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

We interviewed three pediatricians about two months before I gave birth or around 30 weeks. We wanted to get to know them and be able to choose the best fit for us, not meet them for the first time in the hospital. Unless you know for sure who you want to go with, it's a good idea to meet with them beforehand. You won't have time to meet more than one after they are born!

5. Merijo

Merijo Well-Known Member

We had an interview set up but ended up going to it while Will was in NICU. I was sobbing away. The doctor was very nice and did come visit us all in NICU. Later in the year though, I old her that we were moving because her office staff was just horrible. Whe was mortified and we had since bumped into each other at the grocery a few times and she thanked me for telling her. She has since had a big number of changes with her staff.

I asked the NICU nurses for an alternative pedi recommendation and we have gone to him ever since. He's a neat guy and willing to talk to us if we have reservations (we had a few vaccine discussions). It's important to be prepared to stand up for what you believe in with things like vaccines and such to both the doctor and his or her staff. We found that not many staff are as up-to-date as the NICU staff was for pain management things like that. We felt like we were practically training them. What also really matters alot to me is that the staff makes over your baby and talks kindly to him or her. I know it seems like it should be a given but it isn't.
    Good luck!! Pediatricians as a whole seem like really wonderful people to me.
    Merijo

6. witmuch

witmuch Well-Known Member

i have been going to the same pediatrician for well over 7 years. i love my children's doctor. i chose their office not just because they have a great staff but because there is more than one doctor that my children see and they meet with each other over each patient. they all know what is going on with my children and they are well known in our community. i also liked that each doctor will sit down with me and and not rush back out the door. they are caring and listen to my concerns and questions and give me ideas about the healthy growth of my children.
    Lots of Love!
    Meshell from Gulfport Mississippi

7. stephsboys

stephsboys Well-Known Member

This was my dd's first pregnancy and she called around. In her case she knew she wanted someone who was affiliated with Texas Children's Hospital.. anyway she picked a pediatric practice that was close to her home and had Saturday office hours. She did a phone interview with the guy who does the "hospital" visits. He was wonderful and was at the hospital by the end of the day they were born and was there every day they were inpatient. She will be taking the boys for their first doctor visit this Thursday.
    So to answer your question, she met him the day the babies were born.
    Lindy, mom to Stephanie and Nana to
    Cameron and Corey

8. Eimear

Eimear Well-Known Member

We had heard a lot of wonderful things about our Ped. but we didn't meet until 1 week check up and weight after birth. Now we have been using them for almost 5 years [​IMG]

9. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

We had our pedi picked out based on recommendations of other moms, since I was on bedrest and could not go interview/meet her ahead of time. But she did not have privileges where I delivered. So we went with an on-call pedi at the time. To make a long story short, we fell in love with that on-call pedi and she became our regular pedi. So the first time we met her, was shortly after our children were born.

10. jcs

jcs Well-Known Member

My OB recommended her own pediatrician to us, along with several other names. I figured if he was good enough for her, he is good enough for me! I met him at about 30 weeks, he was very nice, and I liked that their office is open every day of the week, including
    Sundays, and that one of their 6 group pediatricians is always on call, so we can reach them day or night. He gave me info on vaccinations, jaundice, and asked if I had any concerns. He said he will do their first well-baby check at the hospital unless they are in the NICU under the care of the neonatologists.
    I think it is important to have someone whose personality is a good match for you. He seemed to really listen to me and care about who I was. Good luck!

11. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Some people interview pedis to determine which one they would like to go with. We didn't because we knew we would be moving soon after the girls were born. We just asked for recommendations.

Our pedi came to the hospital a couple of times to check on the girls but was not present at the birth. We also never saw him when he was checking the girls so we didn't actually meet him until we took the girls in for a weight check at his office after they were discharged from the hospital.