Peditrician

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rayceryin12, Jan 14, 2013.

1. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Do you always ask the peditrician before you do something with your kids?.....ie, start food, cereal, etc....

Thanks!

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I did for the most part with my twins. They were my first, the internet wasn't as widely used as it is today. With my third, I only ask about medical issues. For instance, he had an umbilical hernia, so the Peds covered that with me. Everything else I just go with the flow honestly, or do a lot of research. All the "rules" or guidelines are very different now than they were 8 years ago too!

3. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I asked about starting solids but that was because the girls were showing signs of being ready at 4 months instead of 6. And even then it was more of a "speak now or forever hold your peace " type of conversation. I basically said I was starting solids unless she could give me a really good reason not to. I actually have a very good relationship with our pedi and she trusts me to know what's going on with my girls developmentally and I trust her to speak up if there is a major concern. I think it helps that we have had the chance to develop that relationship through some weight gain issues that Vivi had.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I primarily do my own research but ask the pedi at a WC if I have a concern. I use the pedi mostly to check ears and for one particularly horrendous year with Orion, get referrals to a pedi urologist and a pedi gastro.

5. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Nope. I'm the mom, he's a Dr. If I have a medical concern or for well-child visits, I take my kids in. Otherwise, I do what feels right or do a little research if I have a question. Sometimes those kinds of things come up in a WC visit, because the Dr brings it up, asking what we're doing. But I still feel like its my job as mom to make those decisions for my children, based on their cues and my intuition.

6. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Heck no! I'm with Dielle: I'm the mom, I decide. If I have a specific concern that I am undecided on based on my research or whatever, then I will ask for his opinion, but otherwise, I trust my mom instincts and they are usually right :).