Pets and your twin

Discussion in 'General' started by Twinrific, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Twinrific

Twinrific Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup I'm attempting to get this forum going so I hope this doesn't get moved to the pets forum, lol.

Do you and your twin have similar dislikes and likes in pets? One prefer cats and the other dogs?

Gerda and I both have a dog, I got mine first, 2 years before she got hers. They're both Boston terriers and have completely different personalities. They're each very suited for us though.

We both have always loved animals and although we've had a cat (still lives with my parents on the farm, the most adorable and wonderful cat ever) , birds, hamsters and even a pet pig for a short while we've always preferred dogs. We grew up with pugs (my mom's favourite type of dog at the time although she also has a Boston Terrier now)

My older sister isn't a big fan of pets though but my brother is also a dog lover.

1 person likes this.
  2. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We are a cat family. There is no way I would want a dog and I don't think she would either. Her husband is from a dog family (they always have had retrivers) so at some point she may wind up with a dog but at this point its all cat.

She is actually allergic to cats but has adapted to our current cat. The cat loves sitting on the back of her seat but the cat is all my baby. She sleeps with me and I am the one financially responsible for her. Right now shes sitting on the dest beside the computer.

1 person likes this.
  3. TwinRichard

TwinRichard Well-Known Member

and even a pet pig for a short while

I always wanted a pet pig but our parents would never let us have one :(

1 person likes this.
  4. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Chloe and I have the same taste, we both like our puppy a pomeranium cross maltese who is the most spoilt thing he doesnt think he is a dog! Although we arent allowed to take him when we move out of home as mums claimed him :( lol
    We have two birds, one we both like and the other we dislike as she a alexzandrian and only likes males :angry: lol.

Chloe wants a Lama but mum wont let her :lol:

1 person likes this.
  5. Twinrific

Richard is that all you could think of adding to this thread? :p I seem to remember you had turtles?

Pigs actually become very domesticated and tame and is very easily trained, very similar to dogs. The problem is they also become BIG. There are the pot belly types that don't get that big but they are rare, most pigs that are advertised as small is usually pigs who is born as "scrappy's" as my dad calls them on the farm. They are a lot smaller than the other piglets but my dad has never let them die (as many farmers do) he has a special section where the scrappy's go to get extra milk (given to them via a bottle) they're like premie babies, if you look after them well they grow up just as strong and big as normal pigs. Anyway so when people who don't know much about pigs see the tiny piglets they think it will be a tiny adult as well and that's not the case. Pigs get really very big.

My dad never gave pigs for pet purposes except once, a Down Syndrome boy from town really wanted one and after my dad continuously told the parents and him about how big he'll get etc he agreed to give them one. He did give them a scrappy who was a bit older already and semi-tame since he was fed by bottle already. They named him Stoffel. He flourished with the boy but after 2 years the parents couldn't deal with Stoffel's size anymore, long story short, they gave him back to my dad. He never got over the move, he missed his old home and stopped eating etc. We did all we could, it was very sad but the owners refused to take him back and he didn't adjust to the farm (he was kept in our huge yard not with the other pigs on the farm, we kept him like any other pet) So in the end my dad put him down. I know some people might not agree with that but if you saw how sad and thin he gotten you'd understand. He would've died by himself and we couldn't watch him wither away. He had the best personality and followed commands such as sit, down etc like any dog. I still get sad when I think about him. After that my dad made no exceptions. He says the pigs usually suffer because the owners can't deal with their size so they discard them after a while. :(

:laughing: Code does your sister know llamas spit? They spit these huge sticky icky gobs. Not a pet I'd want so I don't blame your mom for saying no but you sure would be unique if you got one.

1 person likes this.
  6. TwinPeshi

TwinPeshi Well-Known Member

I seem to remember you had turtles?

Yes, we had turtles for a few years.

I don't like animals in the house (turtles and tortoise being the only exceptions) and am against them being domesticated. The only thing worse than dogs are dog owners (not all, but a lot) who think everybody else needs to like their dogs and allow them to do anything :p

1 person likes this.
  7. TwinRichard

I seem to remember you had turtles?

Yes, they kept on trying to escape :p:p

Anyway so when people who don't know much about pigs see the tiny piglets they think it will be a tiny adult as well and that's not the case. Pigs get really very big.

I know they do ;) Didn't stop me from wanting one though :p

The only thing worse than dogs are dog owners (not all, but a lot) who think everybody else needs to like their dogs and allow them to do anything

And the ones who treat their dogs as if they are small children and get offended when other people treat them like dogs :p

1 person likes this.
  8. Twinrific

QUOTE(TwinPeshi @ Jun 7 2009, 02:49 AM) [snapback]1344102[/snapback]
    Yes, we had turtles for a few years.

I don't like animals in the house (turtles and tortoise being the only exceptions) and am against them being domesticated. The only thing worse than dogs are dog owners (not all, but a lot) who think everybody else needs to like their dogs and allow them to do anything :p

I actually put Bruto in the yard whenever I have company because I know not everyone likes animals. I never let him interfere with guests but I do know what you are talking about. I love Bruto to bits but I'm strict with him as well, he is very well trained. I don't think you do a dog any favours if you treat them like humans, Bruto is my baby but he's an animal baby not a human.

I really shouldn't post during my insomnia nights...

ETA:
    We posted at the same time ;)
    And the ones who treat their dogs as if they are small children and get offended when other people treat them like dogs blum.gif

I also believe in treating them like animals but that doesn't mean treating them badly (which I know you didn't mean)

1 person likes this.
  9. TwinPeshi

I really shouldn't post during my insomnia nights...

No, you should post during your insomnia nights. Makes for excellent (free) entertainment :p

1 person likes this.
  10. Code

Code Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Twinrific @ Jun 6 2009, 07:33 PM) [snapback]1344084[/snapback]
    :laughing: Code does your sister know llamas spit? They spit these huge sticky icky gobs. Not a pet I'd want so I don't blame your mom for saying no but you sure would be unique if you got one.

:laughing: yes she knows, she still wants one and a duck so she can sing the Llama song :lol: I don't want one, I love my puppy as noone in the area has one :D he is unique that everyone who comes near my house knows his name as if he is out the front he runs over for a pat :) Such a gental dog

1 person likes this.
  11. TwinRichard

I also believe in treating them like animals but that doesn't mean treating them badly (which I know you didn't mean)

You're right, it wasn't what I meant ;) I don't see putting a dog in a room or out in the garden for a few hours as mean though. Some people think it is mean because they say the dog would get lonely :rolleyes:

yes she knows, she still wants one and a duck so she can sing the Llama song

I knew I couldn't be the only one who liked the llama song! I once changed the settings on our younger brother's computer so that everytime he clicked on something the llama song would play :p

1 person likes this.
  12. TwinPeshi

I wanted a llama too :p I always asked my mother for a cow but she always claimed our garden wasn't big enough :( I like sheep too but don't have anywhere to put one.

1 person likes this.
  13. Twinrific

QUOTE(Code @ Jun 7 2009, 03:05 AM) [snapback]1344124[/snapback]
    :laughing: yes she knows, she still wants one and a duck so she can sing the Llama song :lol:

I knew I couldn't be the only one who liked the llama song! I once changed the settings on our younger brother's computer so that everytime he clicked on something the llama song would play :p

:laughing:

QUOTE(TwinRichard @ Jun 7 2009, 03:18 AM) [snapback]1344136[/snapback]
    You're right, it wasn't what I meant ;) I don't see putting a dog in a room or out in the garden for a few hours as mean though. Some people think it is mean because they say the dog would get lonely

I'm not like that, Bruto actually loves playing outside. I have a great garden for him, lots of hiding places, shades and so forth. Dogs want to be dogs as well and play and have fun. They don't want to be carried in hand bags the whole time ;)

QUOTE(TwinPeshi @ Jun 7 2009, 03:18 AM) [snapback]1344137[/snapback]
    I wanted a llama too :p I always asked my mother for a cow but she always claimed our garden wasn't big enough :( I like sheep too but don't have anywhere to put one.

To this day I have all the admiration for your mom for surviving the two of you :p

1 person likes this.
  14. Code

Code Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TwinRichard @ Jun 6 2009, 08:18 PM) [snapback]1344136[/snapback]

LOL it is a funny song!! May I ask how you did it I may go play around on her laptop :rolleyes: lol

15. TwinRichard

They don't want to be carried in hand bags the whole time

Which I never understood. I hate that airlines are starting to allow dogs to be carried on if they are in a handbag, especially on long flights and when the "owner" lets the dog run around in the terminal. Can you tell that I'm constantly annoyed by dog owners (the dogs aren't generally the problem :p).

To this day I have all the admiration for your mom for surviving the two of you

What are you implying? :p:p

1 person likes this.
  16. Code

Code Well-Known Member

My dog doesnt get to do the handbag thing.. he is too fat! he has his own bed but sleeps on everyone elses as he rathers queen and king size beds as he is greedy! :p

17. TwinRichard

May I ask how you did it I may go play around on her laptop

I downloaded a version of the llama song as a .wav file (I can't remember where, I'm looking for it now).

Assuming you're using Windows XP, go to the Control Panel, then Sounds and Audio Devices. Click on the "Sounds" tab at the top. Then click on "Select" in the list of Program events. Click on browse and select the llama song wav file (wherever you saved it). Then click on "Apply" and it should work everytime you click on something.

1 person likes this.
  18. Code

Code Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TwinRichard @ Jun 6 2009, 08:40 PM) [snapback]1344168[/snapback]
    I downloaded a version of the llama song as a .wav file (I can't remember where, I'm looking for it now).

Assuming you're using Windows XP, go to the Control Panel, then Sounds and Audio Devices. Click on the "Sounds" tab at the top. Then click on "Select" in the list of Program events. Click on browse and select the llama song wav file (wherever you saved it). Then click on "Apply" and it should work everytime you click on something.

I have vista but it should be the same shouldnt it? going to download it and then when she goes out the evil plan shall be put into action :laughing: :laughing:

1 person likes this.
  19. Twinrific

QUOTE(TwinRichard @ Jun 7 2009, 03:31 AM) [snapback]1344157[/snapback]
    Which I never understood. I hate that airlines are starting to allow dogs to be carried on if they are in a handbag, especially on long flights and when the "owner" lets the dog run around in the terminal. Can you tell that I'm constantly annoyed by dog owners (the dogs aren't generally the problem ).

I agree. I think everyone can treat their pets as they wish but they shouldn't intrude on others personal space. I understand owners just want the best for their pets but personally I feel the best for my pet is to still let him be a dog. He is spoiled rotten but he's not made into a human. I know there is many that will disagree with my POV though. Bruto is allowed in my house because one of the biggest reasons I got him was because I live alone and wanted someone with me at night. He has his own bed though and during the day he's always outside by choice (he can freely move inside the house if he wants but he rarely does) I take him running in the afternoons to keep him (and me) fit and healthy and as I've said he is trained very well and I don't tollerate any bad behaviour. He is very loved and I think very happy.

What are you implying?

Just that you're mom is a very strong woman...

We've totally killed this thread again. :p

1 person likes this.
  20. TwinRichard

I have vista but it should be the same shouldnt it?

Yes, it should be the same process (I can't remember off hand if it is exactly the same).

I sent you a PM with a link to a .wav version of the llama song.

I got him was because I live alone and wanted someone with me at night.

I'm sure he makes a very scary guard dog ;) :p

We've totally killed this thread again.

You said you wanted to make this forum active again, and we have!

1 person likes this.
  21. TwinPeshi

We've totally killed this thread again.

No we haven't... we are still talking about animals :p

I am surprised Richard hasn't mentioned his new friend (in his avatar)...

1 person likes this.
  22. Twinrific

QUOTE(TwinRichard @ Jun 7 2009, 03:55 AM) [snapback]1344201[/snapback]
    I'm sure he makes a very scary guard dog ;) :p

Boston Terriers aren't that common here in SA so to people who haven't seen one before he might be a little scary... lol

but no he's not a fierce guard dog :p He is a very good doorbell though. He's not really a barking dog (I don't think he's ever mastered it very well but it's something else I love about him. I hate yapping dogs.) When there is someone in my yard or at my front door he always gives 2 or 3 barks which alerts me to their presence. Earlier this year when they broke into my neighbours house (and went through my yard to get into theirs) he barked and one of the burglars were caught because when he barks at night I immediately press my panic button and my security company obviously showed up. He's barked before with break ins but the burglars weren't caught on those occasions. The biggest thing though was that it helps to just have another living body in the house, it makes you feel safer even if it isn't really safer.

You said you wanted to make this forum active again, and we have!

Well I suppose I can't argue with that. :p

I am surprised Richard hasn't mentioned his new friend (in his avatar)...

Let's not start with that again :p

1 person likes this.
  23. TwinRichard

Boston Terriers aren't that common here in SA so to people who haven't seen one before he might be a little scary... lol

An animal version of security through obscurity?

when he barks at night I immediately press my panic button and my security company obviously showed up.

I'll have to remember that when I visit :p

1 person likes this.
  24. Code

Code Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Twinrific @ Jun 6 2009, 09:06 PM) [snapback]1344220[/snapback]

but no he's not a fierce guard dog :p He is a very good doorbell though. He's not really a barking dog (I don't think he's ever mastered it very well but it's something else I love about him. I hate yapping dogs.) When there is someone in my yard or at my front door he always gives 2 or 3 barks which alerts me to their presence. Earlier this year when they broke into my neighbours house (and went through my yard to get into theirs) he barked and one of the burglars were caught because when he barks at night I immediately press my panic button and my security company obviously showed up. He's barked before with break ins but the burglars weren't caught on those occasions. The biggest thing though was that it helps to just have another living body in the house, it makes you feel safer even if it isn't really safer.

It sounds like you have a very good dog :) :)

25. TwinPeshi

Let's not start with that again

Start with what again? Isn't he cute? :p

1 person likes this.
  26. TwinPeshi

By the way speaking of guard animals, Chicken Licken (third from the right in my avatar) is there to let me know when the sky is falling in :p

1 person likes this.
  27. Twinrific

QUOTE(TwinRichard @ Jun 7 2009, 04:09 AM) [snapback]1344225[/snapback]
    An animal version of security through obscurity?

:laughing: exactly!

I'll have to remember that when I visit :p

Won't you like such a welcome party?

QUOTE(Code @ Jun 7 2009, 04:09 AM) [snapback]1344226[/snapback]
    It sounds like you have a very good dog

I think he is :wub: You're dog also sounds like quite the master of the house. I can think it will be difficult to leave him with your parents.

QUOTE(TwinPeshi @ Jun 7 2009, 04:10 AM) [snapback]1344230[/snapback]
    Start with what again? Isn't he cute? :p

Who Richard? I don't know he hasn't put his photo up yet :p

1 person likes this.
  28. Twinrific

QUOTE(TwinPeshi @ Jun 7 2009, 04:15 AM) [snapback]1344237[/snapback]
    By the way speaking of guard animals, Chicken Licken (third from the right in my avatar) is there to let me know when the sky is falling in :p

:laughing: now that is definitely an important alarm system to have. What does the others do? :p

1 person likes this.
  29. TwinPeshi

Who Richard? I don't know he hasn't put his photo up yet

No, Richard's new friend :p

now that is definitely an important alarm system to have. What does the others do?

The others are there to prevent me from borrowing your taser to use on people that need me to say the same thing five million different times and still can't grasp what I'm saying :p

1 person likes this.
  30. TwinRichard

Won't you like such a welcome party?

No, security guards behind me and Brenda with a taser in front of me isn't really some I would like :p

1 person likes this.
  31. Twinrific

that need me to say the same thing five million different times and still can't grasp what I'm saying

It's much better to play dumb with you than to give in to your tricks :p

No, security guards behind me and Brenda with a taser in front of me isn't really some I would like blum.gif

Then don't drop by unexpectedly at night :p

:laughing: Are you now willing to admit this thread has gone completely south?

1 person likes this.
  32. TwinRichard

Then don't drop by unexpectedly at night

What if my flight is late? :p

Are you now willing to admit this thread has gone completely south?

South of where? South of Pretoria or south of New South Wales? :p

1 person likes this.
  33. TwinPeshi

It's much better to play dumb with you than to give in to your tricks

What tricks? :p

1 person likes this.
  34. Twinrific

QUOTE(TwinRichard @ Jun 7 2009, 04:38 AM) [snapback]1344267[/snapback]
    What if my flight is late? :p

That won't be unexpected sine I assume I'd know you are on your way so if you're late you'd still be expected. Does that mean you finally decided to come for the world cup? :p

South of where? South of Pretoria or south of New South Wales? :p

Don't make me use the slapping smiley!

What tricks?

I don't know, what tricks can you do? :p

You know, it's conversations like this that make me wonder how people could ever think that you are cold :laughing: ;)

1 person likes this.
  35. TwinRichard

Does that mean you finally decided to come for the world cup?

No, it means that when I eventually do go I will probably come by aeroplane :p

Don't make me use the slapping smiley!

:cry: :mellow:

1 person likes this.