Pink Eye(what can i do for it till Monday)

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by homewithmy3, Nov 25, 2006.

1. homewithmy3

homewithmy3 Well-Known Member

My son has pink eye. At first I thought got something in his eye. But this morning he wakes up and it is swallen and has gotten worse thoughout the day. Is there anything that I can get in a pharmacy to help with the itching and swelling? I know I will be calling the doctor monday morning but untill then what can I do????

Cherie
    Ramzie 6/8/00
    Malena & Sofia 6/27/03

2. homewithmy3

My son has pink eye. At first I thought got something in his eye. But this morning he wakes up and it is swallen and has gotten worse thoughout the day. Is there anything that I can get in a pharmacy to help with the itching and swelling? I know I will be calling the doctor monday morning but untill then what can I do????

Cherie
    Ramzie 6/8/00
    Malena & Sofia 6/27/03

3. Lovebugs

Lovebugs Well-Known Member

go to a walk in clinic or emerg!

take a warm facecloth and massage his tear ducts to loosen the gunk and keep his eyes clean and yours too after getting close to them..good luck

4. homewithmy3

Weird thing is that he doesnt have any gunk in his eye. It is just red and swallen. Thats why I thought it was perhaps something in his eye like dirt or perhaps he rubbed it too much but after washing eyes with water they are still red a swallen.

I guess I will be going to the doctor tomarrow. Our doctors office has after hour care.

Thankx

Cherie
    Ramzie 6/8/00
    Malena & Sofia 6/27/03

5. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Mine only had the gunk when the woke up from a nap or bedtime. The rest of the time it was just red and swollen. I would call the doc and have them phone in a prescription or go to urgent care. Once you start the drops it clears up in about 24 hours. It's VERY contagious, so wash hands frequently, avoid touching eyes, etc. I hope you get it cleared up soon!

6. Tracy623

Tracy623 Well-Known Member

Emma and Alex got it too on Thanksgiving. Our doctor sent us to the immediate care to rule out cellulitis (sp?) and get them some meds. Just a FYI, the drops we got are terrible and really burn. We cannot get them to use them anymore. The immediate care doctor prescribed them but our pediatrician said she would have prescribed Poly...... something rather than Gentimicin.

Good luck!
    Tracy

7. Angelasbabes

Angelasbabes Well-Known Member

The drops are supposed to burn since it's trying to get the Ph back to normal in the eye. When they don't burn anymore is when you're eye's are back to normal (at least this was what was explained to me by a pharmacist)

I always call the dr's office (or whoever was oncall). Since pink eye is so contagious, they usually will have a prescription called in then have you come in the earliest time available. At least that's been my experience