Please shar e your complaint about shopping carts!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Sullyirishtwins, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

I would like to gather YOUR complaint on any of the shopping carts you go every day. Please post them here as I will write a letter to the Corporations. And please post any design changes you want with the carts.

Here is my complaint (for example) --

At Target:
    I hate those bulky cart where the kiddies have to sit in front strapped in. They don't work too well for my 14 mos twins because they can't see what's in front of them. They are SUPER hard to manuever around when you have a few items.

Jewel/Dominick's/Kmart:
    I am not a fan of those bulky fun car because you have to bend down to get them squeeze in and having to check on them to be sure they are fine.

Favorite: The 2 seaters carts that can be seen at Sam's Club. They're so easy to manuever around, get to play with them in front of you and etc. I wish those stores like Target, Jewel, Dominick's, Wal-Mart do the same with a few extra carts for Mothers with twins/triplets.

Anyone with me?
    Diana w/Rianna and Justin

2. OctoberBabies

OctoberBabies Well-Known Member

I agree with the suggestion that more stores, other than Sam's - BJ's - Costco, NEED to have the two seater carts.

A local store here - Murphy's Marketplace - has a two seater cart with the car in front. It's great for me when I have all three kids with me.

I don't like to put my girls in the car thing in front of the cart, because (at most stores) they are usually dity with broken straps and I can't see them! I usually use my stroller, which is a real pain in the butt if I have to get a lot!

3. Appymomma

Appymomma Well-Known Member

They are usually filthy dirty, the seat belt straps are broken. They are incredibly hard to manuever empty let alone with things in them!

Why don't most places just have the 2 child cart atleast? And if they do have one it is usally the "car" one that the store only has 2 of. Odds are there are more than 2 parents there with children.

4. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Everyone should have carts just like Costco's!

5. nanhancan

nanhancan Well-Known Member

I agree! Why do most places think that only 1 child should go in a cart?? At Kroger, I have to use one of those stupid "car carts". I barely have enough room to fit our food & one child has to sit with me upfront.
    I really appreciate Sam's Club carts.

6. my2littlebubbas

my2littlebubbas Well-Known Member

I love Sam's Club carts as well. My boys love sitting with their brother while taking in the sights of the store.

7. hanknbeans

hanknbeans Well-Known Member

I agree!

WHat REALLY bugs me most os all is when you are looking for a crappy cart and they are all gone because a mom with a 10 year old is using the cart meant for small children (why can't your 10 year old walk???), or a mom with just one child is using it. GRRRRR! :mad: :mad:

8. Sullyirishtwins

WHat REALLY bugs me most os all is when you are looking for a crappy cart and they are all gone because a mom with a 10 year old is using the cart meant for small children (why can't your 10 year old walk???), or a mom with just one child is using it. GRRRRR!

I have seen that at Target when I had both of my twins in the regular cart when there was a lady with the bulky cart. I have been sending all of your comments attached to the Target Corporation email that I have kept. Please keep bringining in your complaint and hopefully we will have those nice double seaters like Sam's Club or Costco.

Thanks!
    Diana

9. K*D*B

K*D*B Well-Known Member

Costco- love them. They hold the kids and all the food

Our Pavillions- They have smaller car ones that either hold 2 in the car and one at top (which I am not so fond of because my oldest will go in the bottom and then the twins fight who will be in there too) or they have a one seat car and then 2 seats at the top (I like these just fine, the kids never fight when we use those. I think it helps that they have lots of samples in that store)

Ikea- HATE< HATE< HATE them. Thye slide too much and I feel like they will fall over. You have to push them in a diagonal movement to get them going.

I have not used the Target ones that pp was talking about. They just don't look safe and easy to use.

Cari

10. aimeemolloy

aimeemolloy Well-Known Member

the worse carts are TRADER JOES>>>> I never use them when I go there..so difficult to handle

11. Melis

Melis Well-Known Member

Love Costco carts! Hate all the others. Unfortunately I end up having my 4 year old walk, putting one twin in the one seat and carrying my other in a backpack carrier.

12. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

QUOTE(hanknbeans @ Dec 17 2007, 09:43 PM) [snapback]538036[/snapback]
    I agree!

WHat REALLY bugs me most os all is when you are looking for a crappy cart and they are all gone because a mom with a 10 year old is using the cart meant for small children (why can't your 10 year old walk???), or a mom with just one child is using it. GRRRRR! :mad: :mad:

Just to chime in -- I thought of you when I was shopping today with "just one child" (the other was at daycare) and she really wanted to use the car cart. They never get to use it, because we usually shop on Saturdays and they're all in use. So I let her, but I want it known that if a mom of twins (or any two small children) had asked me for it (nicely), I would have forked it over.

And back OT, I just agree that more stores need to have two-seaters. (We love the Costco ones.) It can't be that hard. In fact the car cart today had two seats up front (in the car), and two more seats on my end (where there's usually only one). So if I had been desperate enough to try it, I could have shopped with FOUR toddlers! But the store only has about 6 of those carts.

13. Hillybean

Hillybean Well-Known Member

Love Costco (or Sams) hate all the others.

I went to Target this past weekend and was SOOOO excited that someone had left a Costco cart in front of Target! I snapped it up and actually left the store in a good mood because I didn't have to push a double stroller and pull a cart through 8 million people!!

14. ihavesevensons

ihavesevensons Well-Known Member

the thought process behind the carts with the car looking thing in the front is, it is supposed to be closer to the ground...the kids are not up in the cart setting off the center of gravity. With the kids lower, the center of gravity is lower. The grocery business has done lots of research and have found that MANY, MANY kids fall out of a regular cart head first and get hurt really badly.....head, neck, face injuries, etc........kids have even been paralyzed and in wheelchairs the rest of their lives.

15. bkimberly

bkimberly Well-Known Member

I HATE WALMART! They never have ANY double seater carts of any kind! If they have one the straps are broken and it is useless!

Dillon's grocery store also made me mad when they said I could not take the car cart outside, that I had to carry my groceries and children to the car and leave the cart inside! I was so ticked I never went back!

Publix on the other hand has great car carts and when I complained because they only had three and there were never any available, they ordered more and had them within a few weeks!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Publix!

Kroger has nice carts but they leave them outside and they are always so dirty. They do offer the wipes, but if I wanted to clean something I would stay home and mop my floors!

16. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I have never seen a car cart for one child............just because a child doesn't have siblings doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to drive too!

17. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ihavesevensons @ Dec 17 2007, 08:34 PM) [snapback]538322[/snapback]
    the thought process behind the carts with the car looking thing in the front is, it is supposed to be closer to the ground...the kids are not up in the cart setting off the center of gravity. With the kids lower, the center of gravity is lower. The grocery business has done lots of research and have found that MANY, MANY kids fall out of a regular cart head first and get hurt really badly.....head, neck, face injuries, etc........kids have even been paralyzed and in wheelchairs the rest of their lives.

Then why do they only have 2-3 per store? I do buy that they are safer since the kids naturally have less distance to fall, but if the grocery industry were so concerned for safety, wouldn't they have more of that kid of cart??? I have to say that the car carts make me CRAZY because the girls become super grabby hands and they can reach aaaall kinds of things on the shelves from down there!

Anyway, yes, I too am a fan of the double carts like at Costco. I don't understand why more places don't have them.

18. Pookeysue

Pookeysue Well-Known Member

I LOVE Costcos carts and hate everyone elses except for Lowes. Our Lowes has a cart that is a race car. The kids sit where they usually would, but they are facing towards the front of the cart and they both get steering wheels. They are close to me and they have fun driving the car.

19. K*D*B

K*D*B Well-Known Member

You have never seen my guys in the cars before. Some how they hang over the edges and I swear there has been a few close call to me hitting their heads on the shelves.

have never seen a car cart for one child............just because a child doesn't have siblings doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to drive too!

We have them at Ralphs and Pavillions and I love them.

I LOVE Costcos carts and hate everyone elses except for Lowes. Our Lowes has a cart that is a race car. The kids sit where they usually would, but they are facing towards the front of the cart and they both get steering wheels. They are close to me and they have fun driving the car.

We have these at Home Depot. Our new Home Depot is empty so we get to use 2 of them and we race down the aisles. They are a little wobbly when you put something heavy in the cart part.

Cari

20. Sullyirishtwins

QUOTE(Hillybean @ Dec 17 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]538200[/snapback]
    Love Costco (or Sams) hate all the others.

I went to Target this past weekend and was SOOOO excited that someone had left a Costco cart in front of Target! I snapped it up and actually left the store in a good mood because I didn't have to push a double stroller and pull a cart through 8 million people!!

I'll be damn you got so LUCKY! What a great day for you to shop! <wink>

21. Renald99

Renald99 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ihavesevensons @ Dec 18 2007, 01:34 AM) [snapback]538322[/snapback]

I can't speak to if thats the actual reason or not...but I can tell you that when I was working as a cashier at a grocery store many times I had to point out to parents that their little one was trying to stand up in the top of the cart. One time I caught a little boy by his foot as he tumbled head first. He would've landed squarely on his head if I hadn't managed to grab him. I was pretty shaken up after that one. Please buckle your kids in...and if the buckles don't work, don't use the cart & be sure to complain (loudly) to the store.

QUOTE(kj2racing @ Dec 18 2007, 03:39 AM) [snapback]538495[/snapback]
    I have never seen a car cart for one child............just because a child doesn't have siblings doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to drive too!

Amen. I understand the complaints by those here with twins...but sometimes I think people forget that only kids like the fun carts too...and that sometimes the mother with one kid can be having a hellish day too and just want the nearest cart so she can get the heck out of there. She's probably not meaning to cause you a problem, you know?

22. Sullyirishtwins

I do agree that toddlers/kids should NOT be in front of the cart because of the dangerous getting hurt with head, neck, and etc. What we were actually saying out LOUD is that we needed a 2 seaters at ALL stores that we have shop at -- this is the safest because we are standing right there along with them being buckle in. Of course, I would see buckle are broken where I don't put my twins in there and all mothers should know that too!

Secondly, the "fun car" cart are usually taken up, very dirty, and often see buckles are broken, and NOT to mention they would LOVE the ride but I still think we are better off putting them in the 2 seaters cart. They have so much fun with the open space to look around.

I would USE this fun cart when they are older around 3-6 years old when they don't feel like walking around the shopping center with me. But when you have a 9 to 36 months old you preferably want to be in the 2 seaters cart and being close to you, talking to each other, and showing them items to learn at the store.

No offense but I understand what you are saying -- we are all here wanting a second seaters for more opt choices to pick out carts at shoppng center. We would like to see disability, fun cart, single cart and along with a double seaters. I bet YOU that all mothers are going to pick that double seaters cart up whether it is supposed to be for mothers with twins. What choices would you pick? If these carts available?

23. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Babies4Susan @ Dec 17 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]537547[/snapback]

My thoughts as well! I love their carts! I also agree that some of them are so dirty and gross! It makes me cringe to put my kids in them.

24. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I would USE this fun cart when they are older around 3-6 years old when they don't feel like walking around the shopping center with me.
    Not sure that would be wise considering how many posters we have her on TS that get upset over older children who can walk not doing so.

25. Appymomma

Appymomma Well-Known Member

I right now love the two kid ones that they can just step up into since I can not lift my girlie in now.
    Oh and they should all have the 5point shoulder strap!!

26. dtlyme

dtlyme Well-Known Member

I think my biggest beef is the condition of carts. Some of them really are unsafe. Stores should be held responsible for the safety condition of their carts. Broken straps should be fixed - the arm thing that lowers on the cars should be replaced. My 2 lean their heads out of the darn cars all the time and I have come close to whacking their heads. Here is my solution:

PEAPOD! Grocery shopping on-line :) LOVE it!

27. hanknbeans

hanknbeans Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kj2racing @ Dec 18 2007, 03:39 AM) [snapback]538495[/snapback]

I did not specify a "driving cart". I should have been more specific, I was referring to the "double carts" at Target and such. Reguardless, if it is a busy store and there are moms there with more than one small child, I strongly feel that a 10 year old single child should walk rather than take up a double cart. That is common courtesy IMPO. As far as small only child goes, I have no problem with them using the double carts as long as a a family with many children don't need it. Again, common courtsey, IMPO, but I am that mom of two small children. :)

28. allgood2000

allgood2000 Well-Known Member

I, along with everyone else, LOVE the Costco and Sam's carts. They are wonderful for one child, or two, are super stable and I can fit everything I need to buy in them! It seems that stores would WANT to purchase larger carts - that way we would buy more from them! I also love the race car carts at Lowe's. My new local grocery store (Macy's, for those in UT) also has the Lowe's style car carts. They are excellent!

I HATE with a passion the carts from IKEA. They are a hazard, I swear! You can't steer them straight, and my son tipped one over easy when he stepped on the side - they are extremely unstable. I was in the check out line and distracted, my 3 year old was walking beside me and he stepped on the cart's side. I wouldn't have allowed him to, but my back was turned because I was unloading my items. Thank goodness he was okay, but an employee came over immediately, we had to fill out an accident report, and they had ice packs on hand. It made me wonder how often it happens!

I also HATE those carts, like at Target, with the gigantic plastic seats on the front. Okay, who thought it was a good idea to put 4 little feet in a 12" space.....? - apparently someone without children! Nate and Drew would just fight in those carts. They were too close to one another and facing one another. There was just no personal space for them! I felt sorry for them in those carts! And I felt sorry for myself as their mother trying to buy groceries with that stupid cart!

It also bugs me when I can't put my infant seat in the basket of the cart. I feel uncomfortable putting the infant seat on the seat part of the cart. I know lots of moms do it, but I am too paranoid! Some of the carts (Old Navy, for instance) are too narrow to put an infant carseat inside. When I was shopping on Saturday I had to carry the heavy seat around.

Lastly, the grocery car carts are, IMO, fine. My boys usually ended up fighting in them, but I was usually able to get through my shopping.

Honestly, the good carts GET ME TO SHOP in Costco or Sam's!

29. gregje101

gregje101 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Babies4Susan @ Dec 17 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]537547[/snapback]

ditto

30. coconutdancing

coconutdancing Well-Known Member

Love, Costco carts that's the only place I don't have to use my stroller so do most of my shopping there.
    Luckily we have a mall where are costco is located, so I take Costco shoping cart to Payless Walmart JC penny and others real covenent love that mall only place I really go without DH, so thouse are the only places that are $$ really gets spent.

I do go to Ikea and hate thier carts but that is a two person all day thing anyway.

31. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I did not specify a "driving cart". I should have been more specific, I was referring to the "double carts" at Target and such.
    I didn't say you did, the title of the thread was share your complaints so I did, wasn't directed towards anyone just answering the question.

32. Sullyirishtwins

I want to thank you all for sharing your complaint about "shopping cart". I hope we will someday see those double seaters in the future. I have send a couple of letters along with your comments to every Corporation under comments/feedback.

Have a Happy Holiday!