Please share tricycle/bicycle recommendation for 3.5 year olds

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by SC, Mar 24, 2013.

1. SC

SC Well-Known Member

Hi all! We'd like to get our boys some type of tricycle/bicycle (or similar) each for Easter. They are 3 1/2. Do you have a recommendation? Something that you really like, is age appropriate, skill building, and might grow with them for a while? Also, if you have helmet recommendations please share those, too.
    Thank you.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Any type of balance bike. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Ditto to a balance bike. My boys got their balance bikes right before they turned 4 and I was amazed at how quickly they learned to ride and balance on them, wish we would have bought them sooner and totally skipped the tricycles.

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Ditto on balance bike!

5. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

My kids are 2 and a half - they have tricycles and balance bikes and they LOVE their balance bikes and they don't like the tricycles at all.
    They have the STRIDER ST-3 No-Pedal Balance Bike and they are great. They are height adjustable and they should learn how to balance on these within a week or two if they use them every day. I recommend these, but any other balance bike should do the same thing.

As a fun fact, my friend's 6 year old was still riding his bike with training wheels and after he saw my kids with these bikes he tried to use their bike and he learned how to balance in 10 min, then they took his training wheels off - we couldn't believe how fast he learned.

6. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We have the strider balance bikes, but had to get DD the extension when she turned 4.5 or something.

7. SC

SC Well-Known Member

Thanks, ladies. I wasn't sure and was considering tricycles. But, balance bikes it is!

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

9. justinkerns

justinkerns New Member

For my 3 Year old kid we had strider balance bikes. This is really good one as a starter learner.