Please share with me your 2 1/2 year old's tantrums

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cjk2002, Jul 1, 2010.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

July 5th they will be 2 1/2 and they having been giving me a run for my money for about 2 months now.

They both respond differently to tantrums. If I tell Jake "no" for any reason, he will lay his head down where ever he's at and will start to cry like I just removed a body part. You can't reason with him. He also seems to cry over every little thing.

Josh does the all too famous drop to the ground and stiffen up move. I have to carry him kicking and screaming. This afternoon I took them for a walk in the wagon. Sometimes we go to the park, but today we did not. As soon as we hit our corner, the meltdown began. I had to carry him kicking and screaming the rest of the way home, bring him upstairs, and put him in his crib until he calmed down.

This is just getting really old.

Please tell me I'm not alone. :drown:

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Nope, not alone. Temper tantrums suck! :headbang:

3. luvrkids

luvrkids Well-Known Member

This is daily stuff for me and has been going on for almost a year now, mostly with just one of mine and every now & again with the other. Most days I dont think I can do it another day :headbang: My girls will b 3yrs old in a month Im keeping my fingers crossed that its gonna end soon :laughing: Rylee has that high pitched scream that just makes me grind my teeth and crys,crys,crys flipin & flopin all over. Like you cjk2002 I put them in there bed or time out(the bottom step)until they chill!!! GL & I hope it gets better soon for all that reply :bow2:

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Not alone. My son is our famous tantrum-er. The other day we met up with another TS mom at the Please Touch Museum and he did not want to leave the little water boats area (he had been there forever and decided he did not want to wear a smock). I told him no smock, no water and he proceeded to flip. On the floor, kicking his legs, screaming and banging his fists. I was mortified. I carried him out of that area and to the other side where he calmed down for 30 seconds and resumed the tantrum. Then I moved him to a quiet area, where he finally calmed down & I gave him a drink and some yogurt. He's not too bad most of the time but when he has a tantrum, it's like he's Linda Blair from the Exorcist.

5. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

I agree with Rachel....they suck! The worst is in public. :headbang:

6. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I have one that tantrums daily (Finley) - he just drops to the ground when things aren't going *exactly* how he would like them to. The other one (Sullivan) rarely throws a fit - compared to Finley, anyway - but he still does it. Tantrums suck! :help: :help: :help:

7. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Most of our tantrums come because they're hungry. I've learned that if they're tantrummy or just cranky (pre-tantrum), I offer them some juice (quick blood sugar pick me up) and some cheese or peanut butter crackers and they stop. If it's really bad, I give them fruit snacks :D But sometimes they tantrum just because they want fruit snacks. :laughing:

8. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine throw tantrums all the time. Last week we brought them to my ultrasound, then out for lunch to a noisy restaurant, and then to the playground in the mall. I even talked to them about our day ahead of time and told them how I expected them to behave. Didn't help one bit. :headbang: The tantrums started during the ultrasound b/c they were bored. Lily threw an all out tantrum in the restaurant and had to go a timeout in the car with DH while we ate. Then they only played on the playground for a few minutes and threw a tantrum when they couldn't run wild around the mall. Needless to say, when my parents wanted to take us out for dinner that night to celebrate we politely declined. My girls can't behave in public and we weren't about to go through that again.

9. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

Definitely not alone! :hug: That age was when it really hit a peak for us as well. I can say that the closer they move toward 4 it has gotten tons better. Lauren would cry uncontrollably. At home we had a crying seat. It wasn't the same as a time out chair, she knew she wasn't in trouble, but it was her safe place to go and let it all out.

10. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

:thanks:

I'm so glad to hear it's not just me.

I have found this to be true with Josh. They normally get a snack around 9:30 and yesterday we went to Costco. Got there around 10:15 and I had to tackle him to get him in the cart. He screamed bloody murder for a good ten minutes and then finally ate his snack as if nothing happened. :unsure:

Today I made sure to feed them at 9:30 and he was good the rest of the morning.

It's just so hard when you are out in public and get "those" stares from strangers like you have the worst behaved kids in the world.

11. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

That's why I never went anywhere without the double stroller until they were at least 3. The less distance I have to carry a thrashing, screaming child, the better.

12. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

My DS is also a tantrum expert. He does the fall to the floor, kicking and screaming, rolling, throwing himself backwards, etc. And his scream is so loud and pissed off sounding! He tantrums when he's not getting what he wants and when he's really frustrated. I've just recently started putting him in his room to chill out when's throwing a fit because he's not getting his way. The first time I did this, he was in and out of his room for about a half hour before he was ready to settle down. I really hope this helps curb his tantrums about not getting his way. I understand the ones that come from when he's frustrated and I try to help him work through those. But the ones that are because I won't let him watch Dora during dinner... don't think so buddy!

13. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear I'm not alone! Hailey throws tantrums where she screams and stomps her feet or jumps up and down. Hannah will lay on the floor and bury her head in her arms and sob. Or sometimes she will just scream.

My girls are close to the same age as yours (actually a month apart!). I agree that sometimes they throw fits because they are either hungry or tired but sometimes it's just because they get told no.

14. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

We went through a 6 week Hell. Even with my dh it was just too much to take. It subsided some and they still have them but hers dont' seem to last 40 mins straight. Foaming at the mouth. Oh and trying to get them into a carseat and they stiffen up !!! That is just too much. I agree with the stroller. I think I've lowered my expectations when we go to the mall it is just so they can walk and play on the motorized coin operated thingys and then breakfast out.

Heather

15. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i had one throw an oscar-worthy tantrum at the Shedd Aquarium a few weeks ago. i had to hog-tie her back into the stroller while she was kicking and screaming bloody murder. i know everyone was staring, but i didn't look up at anyone, cuz if i *saw* anyone watching, i would've lashed out at them lol she has tantrums if the littlest thing isn't *just right*. she tends to be more tantrummy when she's tired.