Plus sized and Pregnant with Twins...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kerina313, Nov 27, 2009.

1. kerina313

kerina313 Well-Known Member

Is anyone out there plus sized and either carrying twins or have had twins? I'm starting to feel stretched (it's still early in my book) but my back keeps twinging and I keep thinking I should really look into some sort of belly support aparatus. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

I am considered plus size. I am about 5'6" and I weigh about 220 lbs. Right now I'm a little over 12 weeks and I'm "showing" but I have a feeling it's just all my fat being pushed up as those babies are growing, so it's probably just my belly.

Anywho...I don't really have any twinges in my back yet, but I do get a pain in my rear end when I walk sometimes. Seems to be there when I step down. I figured it was just a combination of my weight and my body balance shifting a little.

Let me know if you find something that works for you! I'd be interested to hear what you find.

3. rebeccah

rebeccah Member

I am plus size at 5'6" and 245 pre-pg. I wear 18/20/22 I am 9 weeks and I have gained 6 lbs. To be honest, I was already lamenting being bigger for this pg (my second) when I found out that I am having twins. Now I have even more motivation to be healthy and I have found that it is working. Aside from the second slice of pumpkin pie that I had tonight, I am eating more fruits and veggies and less carby snacks. I am honestly worried about how big I will get by the end. Not because of my vanity (though that sucks) but because I want to stay healthy and have healthy babies. I also feel like I'm starting to show. I only have one pair of jeans that I can still wear. I agree that it is probably just my fat being shifted up and out. But that still counts. :)

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was considered plus size when I was pregnant and still am. When I got pregnant with the twins I was 188 lbs (5'3") ...I did attempt to eat well during my pregnancy, eating more fruits and eventually veggies (at during the 1st trimester, veggies made me ill) I gained about 35 lbs during my pregnancy and the only issues I had was sciatica in my lower back and swelling of the feet and hands. My recommendation is just to try to eat well, get plenty of rest, and take care of yourself.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was a size 18 ppg... & had a HARD time finding clothes that fit. I bought the size I was supposed to go into & it stopped fitting somewhere in the 6th month. (Before I found out about the twins I needed maternity clothes. I was like 8 weeks pregnant.) I gained 70 lbs (dropped 50 in the hospital- just lost another 10 or so by breastfeeding). I had to go up to a 3x size and not from Motherhood Maternity. I found that some of my stretchy clothes that weren't maternity fit better- at the end- it was all about a size 28/30 or so plus sized shirt. I just went to Target & found the absolute biggest clothes I could. Oh, & b/c it was summer, I wore TONS of dresses- things that were loose and just hung off of me were the best.

I won't lie- it sucked. I had to find the absolute biggest underwear that WalMart carried... it was HUGE.

Good luck!

6. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I didn't have much luck finding a belt that helped. I would look at your local maternity stores and see what they have. For me they just weren't comfy and ended up hurting more but I never did try the one that is like suspenders with a belt so perhaps that one would work. Also if you are comfortable I would suggest going for massage, chiropractor and physio. I had to do this with both of my pregnacies but the twins were the worst. I had terrible back/hip/pelvic pain and I let it go to long before trying to get it under control so I ended up seeing all three once a week for five months before the boys were born. It was pricy but the only way I could even get around. Best of luck

7. IVF TWINS

IVF TWINS Well-Known Member

I am plus sized and short (5'3) and I never found anything that worked. Even at almost 36 weeks and stuggling to carry all this baby around (only gained 13lbs) I STILL haven't found anything to give me a tiny inch of relief except for laying in bed all day. Sorry I'm not much help but I do have to say I didn't get any "real bad" back pain until about 30 weeks.

8. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Im not plus sized, but I used a Prenatal cradle that worked wonderfully. They come in different sizes and their largest fits up to a size 20 pants & 250 pounds. If you meet that criteria (or under) check out the site.

Id also recommend the chiropractor- honest! Have you tried one or read about the benefits of chiropractic adjustments in pregnancy?

9. kerina313

Thanks for the replies.. I'm 5'7 and already at 257. Due to the acid refulx issue - I'm not eating "healthy" nor "unhealthy" - right now due to what I can have and how much (overeating can cause heartburn too) I'm maintaining right now. I'm 13 weeks and showing more than I did with #2. She had issues due to T-18 and I ended up carrying extra amnio fluid. At the end I was 35 weeks and measuring 50 and when I delivered she was 3 lbs and they vaccuumed out 4 liters of fluid. So I figure I'm going to get at least that big again - but this time will be babies, so more pressure.

I'm looking trying out this: http://www.bellybra.com/index.htm

I haven't found a lot that goes to my size or what my size will be later - but this has been the closest I've been able to find.

As far as maternity - I usually don't have much luck there - they just don't fit me right. I ended up going to a local Fashion Bug and buying "bigger" stretchy things that looked cute on while pregnant and would look cute when not pregnant. Worked well for me last time :) I just have to find a few more things because I'm a trainer and the dresses I have won't be fitting me much longer :)

10. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oops... I forgot the original question earlier. I agree with busymomof3- chiropractor once a week, pregnancy massage every month... the chiro also gave me exercises to do at home to improve things. The hip pain was debilitating- don't let it get that bad!

11. kerina313

I'd go and get a massage - but we're a bit tight on money right now. I had very bad experiences with chiros in the past - so that will be out as well.

Guess we'll just have to see how things progress as time goes by :)

12. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

We are in the semi-same boat being strapped for extra cash. My husband got laid off last month. However...do you have a massage school in your town? We have a couple and they always offer super discounted massages and I've checked with them and they ARE up to date on how to do the pregnancy massages. At least the big one here is. That may be an idea. :)

13. sonyagward

sonyagward Member

I am 5'4" and was a little over 200lbs pre-pregnancy, wearing a size 18. I got the bellybra early on to help with the back pain and it has worked. Ended up getting a much bigger size than they recommend because of the twins I had to ship my XL back and go with the largest size, XXXL (I think). That has some extra room in the tummy still and I always wear it when going out, or going to work. I am in week 24 now and about 245lbs. I decided against the prenatal cradle because of a couple twin moms on here mentioned it was hard to sit down in, that it was better for standing and walking. I would recommend the bellybra, that along with adding heel supports in my pregnancy shoes made it much easier to get through the day at work without the back & heel pain I had before.

As far as regular clothes, it is hard to find plus size maternity. Most of my clothes I got at Motherhood Maternity. Some I had to order from them because they did not have the bigger size in stock, but if you buy it at the store and have them ship it, there is no shipping charge.

Good luck & Congratulations! :panties:

Sonya (I can't figure out how to get the lilypie banner on here)