poll: mode of conception, age and gender of twins

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by li li, Aug 2, 2007.

?

how did you conceive your babies (non-assisted or assisted) and what are their genders?

1. non-assisted: boy boy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. non-assisted: girl boy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. non-assisted: girl girl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. assisted: boy boy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. assisted: girl boy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. assisted: girl girl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. li li

li li Well-Known Member

Someone I know was saying today that all the assisted pregnancies (clomid, IUI, IVF etc) that she knew of resulted in girl-girl twins. For some reason this annoyed me, partly because I fail to see the relevence of how a child was conceived once they're born (I know it can impact upon pregnancies) - it never really seems important once faced with the actual child. But then I thought maybe I could do a poll to see whether she's right.

I thought I'd also tag on a poll on a pet theory of mine that older parents - like DH and I - tend to have more girls.

Sorry this somehow seems to be underneath the actual poll, I'm not quite sure how to do it the other way.

2. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Well.. we were Clomid and we ended up with boy/girl! :D

3. LanieK

LanieK Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say I voted unassisted and under 35- as I was under 35 when the boys were born- but am 35 now....
    Lanie

4. noahandjacobsmom

noahandjacobsmom Well-Known Member

I was assisted/over35 boy, boy.

5. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

I was unassisted, boy/girl, under 35... I was only 19 when they were born! :)

6. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

When I was pregnant before I found out what I was having, I read stats somewhere that said majority of twins are g/g. Not sure if its true or not and I can't remember where I read it. I just remember this because i thought "yeah, I'm destined to have girls." :)

7. 2girls2b

2girls2b Well-Known Member

I am currently 35 so I voted "over 35 - girl/girl", but I was 33 when I had the girls (11 days before I turned 34).

8. indy2all

indy2all Well-Known Member

My babies are miracles of IVF...boy and girl...I was 36 when I conceived them.

9. MSB1203

MSB1203 Well-Known Member

INTERESTING...well...let me tell you what about all my "twin" buddies:
    I was 20 when I got pregnant, unassisted, girl/girl, but interestingly enough I had a m/c a couple of months earlier and know another lady who also m/c and then got pregnant with twins soon after. Oh, and we haven't had testing done to determine ID or Frat

Next, lady I know was in her early to mid 20's when she got pregnant, assisted, girl/girl, of course frats

Next, 40 yrs old, unassisted, girl/girl, ID's

Next, 20 yrs old, unassisted, girl/girl, frats

Next, mid 20's, unassisted, boy/girl

Next, mid to late 20's, not sure if assisted, but I think so, girl/girl, id's

Next, 21, unassisted, girl/girl, not sure about id or frat

Gosh...I don't know if I know any boy/boy twins! WOW...I have noticed when I am out and run into other twin moms, they are ALMOST ALWAYS, girl/ girl

10. first_time_mommy_2_be_twins

first_time_mommy_2_be_twins Well-Known Member

We have boy/girl they were concieved when I was 22 and we did not have assistance concieving.

11. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

I was assisted with girl/girl and over 35 although I was 34 when I actually got pg and 35 when I gave birth so I may have voted incorrectly.

12. MSB1203

In case you all didn't know I was crazy...I am! Why did I put twin in "quotations" Why?!?!? I meant to put "buddies" in them...like they don't really have twins. I am losing it...I AM!

13. pink and blue mom

pink and blue mom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(first_time_mommy_2_be_twins @ Aug 2 2007, 10:15 PM) [snapback]355166[/snapback]
    We have boy/girl they were concieved when I was 22 and we did not have assistance concieving.

Wow...the exact same thing for me!

14. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I have two friends, over 35, both assisted, one with b/b (frats) and one with b/g. Can I vote for them? :)

15. becky5

becky5 Guest

B/G, unassisted, when I was 32!

16. Tif3

Tif3 Well-Known Member

I didnt expect that there would be more unassisted under 35 twins. I kinda thought the other way.

Tiffaney

17. TwinsItIs

TwinsItIs Well-Known Member

I didn't read all the responses, but I know that from my group of IF friends, there were more boys than girls, or just about even.

18. LouCee

LouCee Well-Known Member

assisted over 35 boy/boy

19. DanaLynn100

DanaLynn100 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MSB1203 @ Aug 2 2007, 06:07 PM) [snapback]355155[/snapback]
    INTERESTING...well...let me tell you what about all my "twin" buddies:
    I was 20 when I got pregnant, unassisted, girl/girl, but interestingly enough I had a m/c a couple of months earlier and know another lady who also m/c and then got pregnant with twins soon after. Oh, and we haven't had testing done to determine ID or Frat

I think it's interesting that both you and your friend had miscarriages and then twin pregnancies soon after. That's exactly what happened to me too. I miscarried at 9.5 weeks in July 2005 and got pregnant again around Thanksgiving, about 4 months later. How long between your miscarriage and twins? I had boy/boy twins, as did my mother - both of us unassisted at the age of 27. We think our boys are ID and I know my brothers were.

20. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

We didn't use any assistance and were under 35 and have g/g twins.

21. twinsohmy

twinsohmy Well-Known Member

Boy/girl here, conceived at age 27... on Clomid :)

22. 2for1

2for1 Well-Known Member

Interesting! We are under 35 and have assisted b/b ID's. Come to think of it, though, we dont' know any g/g twins. Oh, yes we do. One pair...I forgot. But, other than them, I only know several b/b twins.

23. avaoliviamom

avaoliviamom Well-Known Member

Under 35 non assisted id girls for me.. most twins I meet around here are b/g

24. MSB1203

QUOTE(DanaLynn100 @ Aug 2 2007, 08:17 PM) [snapback]355352[/snapback]
    I think it's interesting that both you and your friend had miscarriages and then twin pregnancies soon after. That's exactly what happened to me too. I miscarried at 9.5 weeks in July 2005 and got pregnant again around Thanksgiving, about 4 months later. How long between your miscarriage and twins? I had boy/boy twins, as did my mother - both of us unassisted at the age of 27. We think our boys are ID and I know my brothers were.

I m/c at 6.5 to 7 weeks (i found out I was pregnant and 3 days later m/c, so it was an early one) in March 2005 and found out I was pregnant June 23, 2005 (remember the day...it was my dad's bday)

I can't say whether I think mine are ID or Frat...I really get so many mixed opinions...some people think I'm crazy b/c I say I don't have any trouble telling them apart, and others think people who can't tell them apart are crazy. So...not sure what would go along with the twins after m/c theory.

25. DeLana

DeLana Well-Known Member

Interestingly, I read that b/g is supposed to be the most common combination - and an earlier poll I did (I'll have to do a search ;)) seemed to prove it; however, not this one so far.

In our case, our b/g twins were conceived with IVF when I was 41.

DeLana :) :)

26. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

Unassisted, I was 22 at conception, girl/girl

27. coconutdancing

coconutdancing Well-Known Member

Unassisted at 25, girl/girl, unkown (ID/frat).

28. happy_mumma

happy_mumma Well-Known Member

this is really interesting. non assisted b/g under 35.

29. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

I was unassisted/under 35/girl girl

30. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

I was 25 when I concieved unassisted with ID G/G.

31. betseeee

betseeee Well-Known Member

Of the 4 women I know in person who had assisted twin pregnancies, 3 were B/G and 1 was B/B. I had spontaneous twins and they are G/G. So there, stupid friend of Lili's! :lol:

32. Amanda+2

Amanda+2 Well-Known Member

We were on Clomid and had b/b twins when I was 25.

33. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

IVF, under 35 (at the time -- I turned 35 the month after my twins were born), girl/girl twins.

My SIL, for what it's worth, also did IVF, she was 36, and she conceived boy/boy twins.

Among the "assisted" twins I know, I think it's pretty evenly split. That's a very small sample size, though.

Statistically, all other things being equal, 50% of twin sets should be b/g, with 25% each being b/b and g/g. And any theory about assisted vs. unassisted conceptions could really only apply to IVF, since that's the only type of assistance that means anything from the sperm's perspective! ;)

ETA: Although I suppose you could speculate that the "assistance" has some effect on the woman's uterus which then affects whether boy embryos vs. girl ones survive long enough to be detected... I haven't read anything that suggests this, though.

34. PurpleNurple

PurpleNurple Well-Known Member

QUOTE(first_time_mommy_2_be_twins @ Aug 2 2007, 06:15 PM) [snapback]355166[/snapback]

Me too....1st time unprotected. I Have twin sisters...

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I saw reference to someone having ID girls, but that she may have had assistance.
    I was under the impressions that Infertilty Treatments did not produce ID, only Frats...is this true or am I totally out to lunch...

I have 4 friends with twins:

2 are non assisted b/b frats (close to or around 30, I think)
    1 is assisted b/b frats (the mother who just past away) (23)
    1 is non assisted g/b (24-ish)

35. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I was on birth control and had been for seven years when I found out I was pregnant with my girls.