Poop issues are ruining our sleep!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mrsfussypants, Jan 2, 2008.

1. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

For the past week or so every morning the babies will wake up an hour earlier than usual with poopy diapers. After changing them they will not go back to sleep, so they're up for the morning by 6am, and are napping at the time they usually woke up! Of course that throws everything off for the day, but the worst part is that they are waking up waaaaaay too early from their naps with poopy diapers as well! Just like in the morning, they won't go back to sleep once they are changed. It's like a timer goes off, and they poop mid-sleep all the time now! What's the deal with that? Will they ever poop at convenient times again? Just when I thought we had this whole schedule thing down, of all things, poop thwarts me!!

Reyna

2. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Lots of sympathy and empathy here! For almost a week running now, DD will go down peacefully for her 3rd nap, then start wailing 15-30 min into it. Poop is the culprit, of course. I go and change her and soothe her and try to put her back down, but whether she falls back asleep or not is a real...crap shoot.

Jeez, why can't they just do the pooping when they're awake?!

3. mrsfussypants

QUOTE(fuchsiagroan @ Jan 2 2008, 11:56 PM) [snapback]555043[/snapback]
    but whether she falls back asleep or not is a real...crap shoot.

Crap shoot....you kill me.... :rotflmbo:

Reyna

4. SusieQ

SusieQ Well-Known Member

Oh ladies - you are going to love this - check out askmoxie.org - her blog today is on this very topic. She mentions a "sleep regression" in the 8-9 month range that is digestive related.

Happy reading, and good luck! My boy always always wakes up poopy at 5am, and good luck getting him back to bed after that. He doesn't seem to mind wallowing in his dirty diaper, but when I check on him and smell it, I just can't leave well enough alone!!

Suzi

5. mrsfussypants

QUOTE(SusieQ @ Jan 3 2008, 12:27 AM) [snapback]555091[/snapback]
    Oh ladies - you are going to love this - check out askmoxie.org - her blog today is on this very topic. She mentions a "sleep regression" in the 8-9 month range that is digestive related.

Happy reading, and good luck! My boy always always wakes up poopy at 5am, and good luck getting him back to bed after that. He doesn't seem to mind wallowing in his dirty diaper, but when I check on him and smell it, I just can't leave well enough alone!!

Suzi

I'm going right now to read it! Thanks! I wish mine would wallow in their poop more! The second they poop they act like a squirrel got in their pants!

Reyna

6. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

hope askmoxie had a good tip for you! we went through this and it was SOOOO frustrating! It lasted a few months for us and then they just seemed to rearrange their regularity for us and it worked out. I always wondered if it had to do with the changes in their diets because it seemed to start when they were taking babyfood regularly and seemed to improve when they started eating more table foods. It was like the change in diet corresponded with a change in bowels, logically, and some phases were more lucky than others! good luck!

7. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

Have you tried leaving them up a little longer before naptime to see if they will poop first?? I had to start doing that around that age....and even now my kids get "Camping out" time on the potty before naptime and nighttime if I know they haven't pooped in a day...just to catch it before they go down for nap, otherwise they might wake up needing to go.

8. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Have you tried leaving them up a little longer before naptime to see if they will poop first?

If only I could! DD is absolutely maxed out after 2 hrs awake, and if you push it longer, she'll either skip the nap screaming or have a really short one anyway. ARGH. Just going to have to ride this one out...