poopy issues

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MichelleL, Nov 1, 2007.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

My girls have had blowouts in their diapers for a good 4, 5, maybe 6 days now. They are very mushy to the point of being almost runny. I have tried eliminating fruits and veggies to no avail. The odd thing is there are no other symptoms (that I can think of) and for Lauren it's only once a day and Emma is twice. But they are nasty and smell real bad, almost sour.

I called the pedi's office yesterday and got the whole "could be a virus". She said it was my choice whether I want them to be seen. Their temperaments seem to be fine. So do I want to bring them into a sick environment or should I just wait it out? WWYD?

2. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

If they like yogurt, I would try some of that. The active cultures help so I've been told. And if no other issues, I would wait. That was the main symptom Jackie had other than a fever with some virus here recently.

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I would treat it like diarrhea. Do mostly BRAT diet include cheese and yogurt. That should help! If you can, cut out milk - you can switch to Lactaid for a few days.

I hope it gets better :hug99: Blowouts are a BIG BUMMER!

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

I would do the BRAT diet for a few days Michelle.

5. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

QUOTE(EmilyM @ Nov 1 2007, 07:30 PM) [snapback]477279[/snapback]
    If they like yogurt, I would try some of that. The active cultures help so I've been told. And if no other issues, I would wait. That was the main symptom Jackie had other than a fever with some virus here recently.

They love yogurt. They each a YoBaby container each day.

I was also thinking BRAT might be a good idea.

6. gatormommy

gatormommy Well-Known Member

I agree with all the pp Michelle. If that is their only symptom, BRAT diet and lots of fluids to avoid dehydration. Hope they get better soon! :hug99:

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree too. :) If that is their only symptom and they are fine otherwise (and acting fine too) I'd probably hold out on going to the dr. Try the BRAT diet and see how things go.

8. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

I might check with your peditrician or at least his nurse...it could be some type of an intestinal parasite....my son had one years ago.....and his only symptom was the foul smelling stool and it was getting worse instead of better..... here is a link to a website about the particular one that he had....

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/gi...sht_giardia.htm

Some of these intestional things need to be treated medically others go away on their own....but since you said it has already been going on for 4-6 days....I would give the dr. a call and see about getting a stool sample taken.

Take care and keep us posted,

Missy

Good luck

9. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

We've been going through the same thing, but it seems to be getting better. I've had them on the BRAT diet all week, with a few other things like jello and plain pasta with a little grated cheese. They are acting fine, so I haven't taken them to the doctor. I've been giving them Pedialyte and water with white grape juice to drink. Hope they get better soon.

10. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hi Michelle. I don't really have any advice you haven't already gotten, I just wanted to show some support. I, too, would go with the BRAT diet & I think the addition of yogurt is a great idea. Hope it gets better quickly, those blowouts are a bummer! Keep us posted. :hug99:

11. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

If it's just the diapers and they don't seem unhappy, I would wait it out. It probably is a virus, but if it lasts another several days, I'd bring them in. (I didn't even think of things like giardia, but I just don't like to endure anything for more than a week without a professional opinion!)