positive Ffn test..please help

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by twinsontheway09, Apr 17, 2009.

1. twinsontheway09

twinsontheway09 Active Member

So I went to the doctor yesterday for another ffn swab of the cervix and it came back positive today!! my doctor is out of town but the nurse called and said strict bed rest. What are the chances of going into preterm labor within 2 weeks with this test? does anyone know? shouldnt I be getting steroid shots right now for the babies?

2. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I would call first thing Monday morning and demand the steroid shots. I had my shots at 32 weeks and the boys were born at 33 weeks. Their lungs were great. I didn't have a ffn test, but my water broke shortly after I lost my mucous plug. Good luck and follow the nurses orders! Strict bedrest! :hug:

3. sheila185

sheila185 Well-Known Member

I am not too familar with the test but I did look for information (on bed rest too with not much to do) and I foud that babycenter.com had a nice write up on the test and what the different results can mean. I would call as soon as they open on Monday and let the nurse know that you want to speak to the dr or have him get in you right away! Keep us all posted.

4. donnakay

donnakay Member

A negative FFN result is MUCH more reliable than a positive one. A positive result is saying there's about a 40% chance of you going into labor within the next 2 weeks. A neg. result means there's about a 90% chance of you NOT going into labor within the next 2 weeks. I had a positive result almost 4 weeks ago and I still haven't gone into labor (thankfully). I am on bedrest though, so I would think your dr. would at least do that, just as a precaution.

5. donnakay

donnakay Member

p.s. I see that you ARE on bedrest - sorry - I'm a little ADD these days.....I wanted to add that I would definitely ask for the steroid shots - again, just as a precaution. If you were to go into labor they would make a huge difference!

6. sheila185

sheila185 Well-Known Member

did you phone the dr's office today?

7. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I was told by my dr that the positive only meant that there was around a 10% chance that I would go into labor in the next two weeks. It just didn't give the reassurance that I would not. They did go ahead and give me steroid shots though. I had the positive fFN at 27 weeks. I didn't deliver until almost 32 and never went into labor. So, the positive didn't apply to two weeks for me. Good luck!

8. melthoreson

melthoreson Well-Known Member

I just had a positive test yesterday and have been put on modified bed rest. This positive test came after a very positive appointment where everything looked good...

So...I'm trying to learn as much about it as I can, too!

9. caba

caba Banned

QUOTE(twinsontheway09 @ Apr 17 2009, 05:28 PM) [snapback]1278060[/snapback]
    So I went to the doctor yesterday for another ffn swab of the cervix and it came back positive today!! my doctor is out of town but the nurse called and said strict bed rest. What are the chances of going into preterm labor within 2 weeks with this test? does anyone know? shouldnt I be getting steroid shots right now for the babies?

I don't know too much about the ffn, although I've also heard that a negative is more telling than a positive.

I've also heard that steriod shots after 34 weeks are useless. Not sure if it's true, but that might be why they aren't offering them to you. Something about the lungs being close to fully developed, and the shot not doing any additional good. I don't know. Just something to look into/ask about.

10. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

:hug: I had a positive fFN test at 24 weeks, and did not deliver until 28 week 1 day. I was told by my OB and several peri's that a positive fFN was completely inconclusive. There are no statistics stating that you will in fact go into labor within 2 weeks. All it means is that you are excreting a protein found while in labor. A negative fFN test is much more concrete, and the chances are very high that you will not deliver in the next 2 weeks.

I agree with the pp's in that if you have not already got the steroid shots, they are worth getting! I strongly believe that they made a huge difference in the maturity of my girls lungs despite them being so premature.

Good Luck! :hug:

11. orlandojennifer

orlandojennifer Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    I too had a positive FFN.Last night I was on the manufacturers website,and it says that their tests are contraindicated for mulitple pregnancy.So again...yes to bedrest say to to the stress of that test! LOTS of False POSITIVES...I would demand the steriods however I got mine when the test came back positive.

Good luck hang in there! HUGS J

12. erwelch

erwelch Well-Known Member

I had a +ffn test at 32.1wks and got the steroid shots that night. They sent me home on terbutaline and modified bedrest until 35wks (I didn't really stick to the bedrest thing but I did not pick up my DS at all). I was really busy at 36wks putting stuff together for the babies and went into labor that afternoon. I think if I didn't do so much that am they would have waited a little longer but they came out happy and healthy with no NICU time at all (no time in any nursery for that matter). I don't think the test means all that much but I would take it easy to let them cook as long as possible.