Possessed toys

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by rensejk, Feb 23, 2009.

1. rensejk

rensejk Well-Known Member

We have a toy that is completely possessed. It's a Spiderman-themed ride-on toy that looks like a fire truck. You press different buttons and you hear different quotes from the movie (such as "New Suit, New Attitude!")... it's so cheesy but the kids love it.

Well, it also has a weird habit of suddenly, out of the blue, playing one of the sounds, even when no one is playing with it. Usually in the middle of the night or when I'm watching a scary movie. The sound is this super scary voice that says, SUPER LOUD, "Flint Marko is gone. Call me SAND MAN." And it scares the bejesus out of me. Every time.

This was a gift from the grandparents, and MIL reports that the whole month or so that it was sitting, wrapped, under the tree, it would occasionally do this. Always the same voice.

Does anyone else have a possessed toy?

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup, we've got several, mostly when the batteries are low. . .but we have one of those laugh and learn puppies that will not shut up, just start going off all of the time, so we had to remove his batteries.

3. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(becasquared @ Feb 23 2009, 12:53 PM) [snapback]1201533[/snapback]
    Yup, we've got several, mostly when the batteries are low. . .but we have one of those laugh and learn puppies that will not shut up, just start going off all of the time, so we had to remove his batteries.

Our laugh and learn puppy did that too!

4. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

LOL!! We have a toy that looks like a fake piano. It's supposed to be a crib toy, and sometimes while you are sitting there the thing just starts playing randomly.

5. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Our Fisher Price Animal train engine will suddenly light up. It is really strange since it never lights up w/out playing music when the kids play with it. Most of the toys get scary sounding when their batteries are low.

6. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

We had a small stuffed duck (perhaps 2 inches high) that came as part of a farm set. All of the animals in the set made noises, but the darn duck would quack LOUDLY at random times. Sometimes it would not stop for upwards of three or four minutes. And it would start quacking in the middle of the night and freak me out because who expects to hear a duck quacking downstairs in the middle of the night?

7. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I think my guys have shorted out a few toys with their excessive drooling. :)

8. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

Oh, yea! The Laugh and Learn Puppy started talking one night WAY after the boys were in bed. DH was out of town for work and it really scared the crap out of me!

9. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

Yes, our activity table would do that when the batteries are low. One of the nursery rhyme talking books sounds horribly scary when it's batteries get low.

We also have a sesame street steering wheel toy that isn't possessed, but the buttons are pushed easily. The other morning before getting the boys out of the crib the thing went off and I went running in there thinking one of them had finally figured out how to escape. DH found the offending toy in the other room once we found them safely in their cribs. That'll wake you up in the morning though!

10. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

We don't have any toys with batteries (yes, really!), but we've had some haunted appliances. The VCR would sometimes try to eject a tape when it was empty and the power was turned off. The refrigerator was haunted for a while: a single hard-boiled egg came out frozen, and all the rest were normal. Oh, and occasionally the bathroom light turns itself on.

11. my2littlebubbas

my2littlebubbas Well-Known Member

We have a wooden animal sounds puzzle (Melissa and Doug) that goes off randomly when the pieces aren't in it. And most of the time it does this is at night. And the funny thing is that usually it is the rooster and it's quite loud and annoying. My husband keeps telling me to just toss the thing, but my boys like it too much.

12. nadana77

nadana77 Well-Known Member

Oh.. DD has a Doll that when you push a button on it's back it crawls and says "MaMa" then it'll fall down and start crying. It is soo creepy because sometimes it'll just start by itself. So now I have the button switched to off :)

13. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

Yes, as I posted in the other thread the Laugh and Learn Puppy is possessed. I will hear it through the baby monitor at night saying "Hug me".

DS had the Little People garage, and it would also start making noises at random times. That one freaked me out so much I through the whole thing away.

14. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I took the batteries out of the LP garage because it kept going off while it was hiding, before Christmas (when they were two). Usually it's because the batteries are low that causes toys to freak out, or the sensors are too sensitive. Some toys I just don't put batteries in, and they never know the difference.
    On a related note, we have had the Laugh and Learn House for at least 2 1/2 years now, and have NEVER changed the batteries, and it still works fine! That one goes off sometimes if a cat walks through the door and I will hear it from upstairs.

15. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

This isn't really a possessed toy, but we used to have the LeapFrog Magnetic Fridge Farm, and I would set it off all the time when I accidentally bumped my knee against it while opening the freezer. Scared the bejeezus out of me every time! ("HI! I'M FARMER TAD! LISTEN TO MY BANJO!")

16. LanieK

LanieK Well-Known Member

We have 2 Melissa & Doug puzzles that sound off at night as well! The fire truck and train! Normally when you turn off the lights to go to bed-- scares me to death! Thinking about taking the battery out but the boys love them!
    Lanie

17. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

QUOTE(my2littlebubbas @ Feb 23 2009, 01:53 PM) [snapback]1201722[/snapback]
    We have a wooden animal sounds puzzle (Melissa and Doug) that goes off randomly when the pieces aren't in it. And most of the time it does this is at night. And the funny thing is that usually it is the rooster and it's quite loud and annoying. My husband keeps telling me to just toss the thing, but my boys like it too much.

OMG we have the Melissa and Doug wooden alphabet puzzle and the thing is also possessed. Out of nowhere it would start saying "P is for pretzel" "p is for pretzel" "p is for pretzel." it was exremely unnerving. I finally had enough and took out the battery since my girls already know their letters and sounds I felt there was no point to having to hear it.

18. mandylouwho

mandylouwho Well-Known Member

Many of my Paranormal investigations start off this way. The call comes in "My kid or baby is laughing at the walls", or "My appliances and toys go off". Well the toys do that because they do, fault batteries, short fuses, etc. But the appliances...Fridge, lights, that are all connected to electrical outlets are an indication.

But we have this wagon that was free with our Mega Incrediblock (For use with those peekablocks). Well, there is music when you pull it with the blocks in it. Its the same music over and over too, just one song. This thing will do this ALL day if I left it on. I had BIL and SIL stay over once, and it was on. They slept on the futon in the play room. My SIL ran out of the room with the bejeezes up her spine. I told her it was just sensitive and whacky. LOL, Turned it off.

Yes, Laugh and Learn Puppy too.

"That Tickles!" "YAY!!!"

19. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mandylouwho @ Feb 23 2009, 06:27 PM) [snapback]1202260[/snapback]
    Many of my Paranormal investigations start off this way. The call comes in "My kid or baby is laughing at the walls", or "My appliances and toys go off". Well the toys do that because they do, fault batteries, short fuses, etc. But the appliances...Fridge, lights, that are all connected to electrical outlets are an indication.

Dont leave me hanging! So when the call comes in, you do what? I remember you telling about how you have a sense (is that the right word?) but I am really interested in what happens in the investigations!

20. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

This thread is hilarious! (Except for the part about the paranormal investigations, which is just plain intriguing.)

QUOTE(LanieK @ Feb 23 2009, 11:17 PM) [snapback]1202160[/snapback]
    We have 2 Melissa & Doug puzzles that sound off at night as well! The fire truck and train! Normally when you turn off the lights to go to bed-- scares me to death! Thinking about taking the battery out but the boys love them!
    Lanie

Yes! Maybe they all do this? I didn't realize I could take the batteries out...and the boys couldn't care less about it so I'd love to make it go away...

21. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

Seems the laugh and learn puppy needs some sort of mental help! I HATE ours! That's the most annoying, random singing toy they own!!!

22. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Lol, seems like everyone despises that poor puppy! It made DH mad the other night because Hailey had just started to fall asleep and it got bumped and woke her up for another 30 minutes of whining and not wanting to sleep.

I don't think we have any possessed toys but we have what sounds like a digital thermometer that I keep hearing beep. I think it's in our bedroom mixed in with a bunch of stuff that we had to clean out of the bathroom while we redo it. We have a bunch of digital thermometers (from the hospital) so who knows. Every time I hear it go off I'm busy or have my hands full and by the time I can get to look for it, it has stopped. It's like it's taunting me.

23. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

we have a sesame street garage thing that has elmo, oscar, cookie monster, bert and ernie voices. but the one that always goes off without anyone moving anything is cookie monster saying "HOO HAH!" and then a car beeps. it has freaked me out a couple of times in the middle of the night, now i always remember to switch it off before bed. but it goes off several times during the day, too.

24. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Minette @ Feb 23 2009, 04:13 PM) [snapback]1202153[/snapback]
    This isn't really a possessed toy, but we used to have the LeapFrog Magnetic Fridge Farm, and I would set it off all the time when I accidentally bumped my knee against it while opening the freezer. Scared the bejeezus out of me every time! ("HI! I'M FARMER TAD! LISTEN TO MY BANJO!")

Glad I am not the only one this happend to! LOL!! That thing drives me NUTS!!!!! :crazy: Well that one and the Leap Frog ABC one on the fridge...it gets bumped too...

25. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(becasquared @ Feb 23 2009, 11:53 AM) [snapback]1201533[/snapback]

Ours too! I am sitting on TS one night and everyone is asleep and I hear "hug me, your my friend" it took me a good 5 seconds to figure out who the heck was talking in the living room...talk about my heart racing!

26. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(becasquared @ Feb 23 2009, 08:53 AM) [snapback]1201533[/snapback]

oh my god, we had to get rid of that thing, it creeped me out like the clown in Poltergeist.

We have a baby that gurgles and says mama and she seems to be light sensitive, of course the kids always leave her on.

27. becasquared

Oh I totally forgot about the creepydoll! Creepy (what I've named her) was a present from my grandparents for xmas for Alice. She's not posessed, but just totally creepy and not in a good way.

What I say about her, "you punch her in the breadbasket (her pelvic area) and she starts spouting off, 'iluvuuuuuuuuuuu, iluvuuuuuuuuuuuu,**KISSSSSS**" but what makes her even creepier is that her voice isn't a normal toy voice but a very metallic, hard to understand voice. And she's uglier than sin. I usually have her leashed by her neck to the kids' stroller.

28. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

what would be even scarier is if you took the batteries out and the toys still kept talking :D :p

the girls have this like boombox thing, and it was sitting in the middle of the room on the floor all by itself one night and just started playing, i grabbed it and put it under a bunch of sofa pillows and thought, "if i see that thing back on the floor in the morning, i'm moving out!"

29. andrew/kaitlyn/smom

andrew/kaitlyn/smom Well-Known Member

Most of our toys with batteries come in the front door and go right out the back door, but we do have one or two hanging around. A few weeks ago DH was in the living room late at night, and something went off and totally scared the pee out of him; he couldn't sleep the rest of the night :)

30. hikerkira

hikerkira Well-Known Member

We used to have the cutest duck that would sing "You are my sunshine" when you pulled the string. However eventually you didn't need to pull the string, it would go off any time. Scared DS so much! Scared me more. I hated to get rid of it b/c it was so cute and DS really did love it, but there were too many nights where I would hear it go off through the monitor.

My mom had a Big Bird that was on a motion sensor. "Peek a boo! I see you!" FREAKED me out when I walked through the house in the dark! I finally convinced her to put that thing away!

31. becasquared

QUOTE(becasquared @ Feb 24 2009, 07:46 AM) [snapback]1202815[/snapback]
    Oh I totally forgot about the creepydoll! Creepy (what I've named her) was a present from my grandparents for xmas for Alice. She's not posessed, but just totally creepy and not in a good way.

What I say about her, "you punch her in the breadbasket (her pelvic area) and she starts spouting off, 'iluvuuuuuuuuuuu, iluvuuuuuuuuuuuu,**KISSSSSS**" but what makes her even creepier is that her voice isn't a normal toy voice but a very metallic, hard to understand voice. And she's uglier than sin. I usually have her leashed by her neck to the kids' stroller.

Creepy spends her days in my car attached to the stroller. I'm not sure what happened (she's probably squished somehow) but she's been talking to me all morning on my way to work.

ILUUUUUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

edited to remove duplicate posting

32. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

We have a Bob the Builder play cell phone that goes CRAZY! I know that you just have to hit buttons to reset it & it's fine, but one morning I got home from work to find a huge mound of blankets & pillows on the floor. When I questioned DH about it, I found the Bob phone under the mound...still going crazy! Believe me, even new batteries haven't helped it, but the boys love it...so it stays.

We also have the VTech art easel that would sing fragmented songs over & over when it's batteries were low. It's actually starting to do it again, so I need to get new batteries. I used to ask the boys to go find it & turn it off...they always knew because that thing was nuts!

I'm glad I've never heard any toys over our monitor! I'd freak out!

33. korie99

korie99 Well-Known Member

Add me to the list of people with posessed Melissa & Doug puzzles. I have definitely noticed they are light sensitive (turn off the lights only to hear the sound of a train coming...) Or even if the sun shines in the window the right way and hits the puzzle, all of sudden we hear "CIRCLE!!! PENTAGON!!! SQUARE!!" coming from the kids' rooms. We also have an annoying Thomas push train with NO OFF BUTTON (damn you toy manufacturers!!!) that is very sensitive and goes off in the middle of the night. There I am at 2am, half asleep and running from room to room trying to track down the train whistle before it wakes the kids up!!