Post your Potty Training Stories here!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sharongl, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Samantha C

Samantha C Member

Well, I thought I would update you...we had to stop with the potty training that week we started. Joe was not ready!!! We put him on the potty every 15 minutes for 3 days and it just wasn't clicking. So we decided that this should be a positive experience and we would wait. Aba would have been fine but since she saw her brother go in pull ups then she wanted hers too.

But....it was not all a waste of time.

Abbie has been telling us more that she needs to go potty and then she is waiting and going in her potty chair!!!! Each time she does it so does brother. We are seeing her frequency increase each day.

I also moved one of the potty chairs into the bathroom and converted it to be on the toilet. The kids were unsure at first but then thought this is great with the toilet paper right there!!! They have each tried more than once today.

I really think we are heading in a good direction. The three days clued them in enough as to how this is going to work.

Have a great Labor Day!!!

Take care,
    Sam

Abigail and Joseph - 02/04

2. FAE1470

FAE1470 Well-Known Member

I need help... Kennedy (girl) has been going to the potty like a champ. She stayed dry at daycare all day. Kaleb (boy) can careless about going to the potty. We are using the reward system everytime they go potty they get a sticker and a treat. Daycare has stated that if Kaleb doesn't get potty training in two weeks or so that we should put him back in pull-ups. I feel that I will be giving up on him if I put him back in pull-ups. Any and all suggestions needed..

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Faye, they are still on the young end of training. We had many starts and stops until it was done. My guess is that Kaleb simply isn't ready yet. I would just stop for a while and try again in a month or so, you may find that he is more ready then. Neither of my boys trained until they were over 3--and Jon was closer to 4. I found that they trained when THEY were ready, not when I was [​IMG]

4. Samantha C

Samantha C Member

We had to stop too because my son was not ready. We still work on it but both Abbie and Joe are back in pull ups. They tell us they want to use the big potty periodically so the idea is still there. He just is not ready to be in underwear and be aware all the time!!!

Good luck!

Take care,
    Sam

Abigail and Joseph - 02/09/04

5. pttwins03

pttwins03 Well-Known Member

Hi My name is Dawn and I've been away from twinstuff for about a year. We moved to florida, hated it and came back to new york. Then just getting my son in school and getting adjusted to our surroundings again has been crazy but now I'm back. My girls are still potty training. I started when they were 2 and 1/2. They turned 3 in july. They got the poops down completely but the pee-pee is just out of the question. I have pull-ups on them because they just have way too many accidents. If I constantly get on them every 20 minutes then they will go on the potty but if I get occupied with something and forget to mention it to them then they go in their pants. I'm very frustrated considering that my son was potty trained at 2 and it took 3 days. My daughter took 2 weeks, she was also 2. These two just won't let me catch a break. I bought them elmo undies because they wanted them for their birthday but I haven't let them wear them because I keep telling them that until they constantly do pee-pee on the potty they can't wear them(thinking that this would work and that they would so they could wear them) This doesn't faze them either. Hopefully this will all pass and they will go on the potty and all will be good.

6. thompsontwinners

thompsontwinners Well-Known Member

I never thought that I would be posting here. It seemed so far off but always right in front of me.
    Both my girls from a little before 2 were telling me that they had dirty diapers. I bought potty chairs. One of them had success and the other didn't. From 2 years on, the need to take off the diaper after every pee and poopy was necessary. They had to tell me.
    So after a busy summer, I found 5 days to stay at home and potty train them 24/7. I used the Dr. Phil method. My girls were 32 months.
    We started with the Big Day, taking away diapers and putting on big girl panties. We had the doll that peed. Got rewards and m&m's for potty practice which was every 30 mins or so. If they had an accident, there were 10 practice runs from places in the house to the potty chair. Well, day 1 was exhausting. I stopped the runs after day 1 because I was doing too many. I stopped offering them tons to drink since they had to pee all the time. I had some successes but no initiating from either one of them. I almost broke down by one week of soo many accidents and was told to go back to diapers and they weren't ready. But I hung on!
    Around 9 days into it, I posted a Dora sticker chart, got a toy box and a timer. Dora, Boots, and Swiper were on the chart and I told them that if they went peepee or poopy in the potty chair, they would give them a sticker and a toy. So we started the timer at 20 min intervals instead of 30. And I had success from the very beginning. To this day,(I am in my 3rd week but 2 weeks into the chart, I might have one accident a day from them). I am trying to drill the potty practice into muscle memory so that they learn to stop playing and try to go.
    When we venture out, they usually hold it until we get home. They love having success! I have made them clean up their accidents if in fact they are messy.
    Naps and Bedtime they are in pullups but everyday at naptime, the pullup is staying drier.
    The only thing that I am hoping for is the continued initiation on their part. I have only had one or two times where they said they had to go peepee. They usually don't put up a fight if it is potty practice and they have to go. Because we practice so much, I am thinking they don't need to say it because I usually give them an opportunity to go.
    As I go into the 4th week, I am going to begin to hold out to see if they will in fact ask to use the potty or just run there if they have to go.
    I think in my experience with potty training is that there were all the signs to go for it. But when we were actually doing it, they weren't connecting all the dots for almost a week. But I kept being consistent and just when I was about to break, they got it. Maybe my rewards at the beginning didn't entice them enough-who knows. But my advice is that as soon as you decide to do the big day and get rid of diapers, do it and don't go back! All they need is practice and consistency!
    I know this doesn't apply to all kids. But if you are in my situation, I just wanted to add my experience to the group.

7. I have a new potty story. Just the other day both my girls were in the tub taking a bath. When it was time to get out my little Madisen said she had to go poop. So I said would you like to sit on the potty, and of course it was a yes. So naked she sat on the potty and didn't go. So she started to run around a little. Next thing I know (while I was on the phone of course) she sat down on the potty and went POOP! We were so excited! We gave grate PRAISE and she was so proud she started taking the potty to everyone in the house to show the poop to. It was so cute. She even wanted a picture of the potty with her poopy in it, of course we did (saving it for later you know, boyfriends and stuff)!!!

8. Sarah Parker

Sarah Parker New Member

Help!! I am frustrated & don't know what to do. I feel as though I am compounding problems & would like an outside perspective. My girls are 2.5 & we have started & stopped potty training several times because of outside influences. For example, they were pooping & peeing in the potty (off & on, on their own, with out me saying "do you have to go potty?)& I started a daycare in my home. I decided to hold off on potty training until they were well ujusted to the daycare. I know, I should not have looked back, but I did. We started again & they were accepting it o.k., but then underpants threw them off. Currently, they wear underpants all day (through nap -dry). My technique was to let them watch tv & sit on the potty. Now, I am encouraging them to sit on the potty not in front of the t.v. One of them has no problem, but the other hates it. She will be doing the pee dance & I will say, "do you need to go pee-pee?" She will always answer "pee-pee?" I then say, "let's sit on the potty." You would think I was asking her to jump off a bridge. She freaks out. No potty!!! she yells. If I talk to her, & calm her down (which takes quite a while) then she will sit on the potty & go. If I don't see her doing the pee dance, she will go where she is. She won't tell me when she has to go & she has fights it when I realize that she does need to go. The hitch is that if we are out of the house, she will usually, not always, hold it until we get to a potty & she doesn't fight it when we do get to it. I carry a potty in my truck & they have no problem going in there. My new theory is to just back off. I am not going to put her in diapers again, but instead let her have accidents. When she has accidents, I just say oh-oh, you had an accident. Let's get cleaned up. No big deal. What do you all think? I am going in the right direction? Any new suggestions?

9. momtotwo

momtotwo Well-Known Member

I think you are headed for the right approach, just leave her in panties, not pull ups. And ask her when you think she has to go just as a reminder. Other then that both of you getting upset over it will not help a bit. She will catch on and start using it again soon I am sure.

My ds regressed after 3 or 4 months of no accidents he started to wet and mess his pants. It was the middle of summer and he was a little over 3. I took the oh well lets get changed deal a few times, then continued that but started to tell him he could not do certain things and go certain places because he was not trained and had accidents. Boy that was the end of that. No problem since. I should say the whole thing started with a very loose bowel movement and he thought he was going to toot and messed instead. Good luck and remember she will not be going to high school with wet panties.

10. Samantha C

Samantha C Member

Good Morning,

I thought I would update all of you on how we are doing on potty training. We decided to try again last Sunday. We are putting their underwear on while we are home and awake. Well it is a week later and we are still making progress. [​IMG] When the kids get up they immediately ask to take off their overnights.

During the day we may have only 1 or 2 accidents between the two of them. Yesterday we didn't have any and we even went over to my mom's house for a better part of the day. I was brave enough to leave them in their underwear for the trip over and while they visited.

I'm hoping things will still progress. We still have several hurdles to overcome.
    1) making it through a nap or overnight without their pull ups
    2) going on errands without the security of pull ups (a positive note there is often by the time we get home the pull ups are still dry!!!)
    3) they have only gone pee in their potty chairs (they usually only have stinky diapers when they nap so I haven't caught them yet)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really feel we are progressing on a positive note.

Have a great day!!!

~Sam
    Abbie and Joe - 02/04

11. 2blessed

2blessed Well-Known Member

My girls turned 3 the end of Aug and have still NOT done anything on the toilet!
    They will tell me when they have pooped or even when its coming but it seems to happen too fast to get to the toilet in time.
    They sometimes tell me when they are peeing but usually not.
    They have just been able to pull their pants down easily now.
    They ask to sit on the toilet prenap but do not do anything and want off after about 5 mins. Alot of the times, within 10mins into their nap, they poop!

I have been told to just wait, that as they get older it will happen easily and faster...but nothing seems to be really advancing...very small baby steps and we sort of have been stuck in this mode for a few months now....I just wish that once they would actually pee or poop in the toilet!

Any suggestions or encouragement?

12. sharongl

My boy's birthday is at the end of August, last year at this time was when Marc finally trained, and Jon didn't train until March. And, Jon has fewer accidents and stays dry at night, Marc is still in a pull up. Believe me, it will come when they are ready. Good luck!

13. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

quote:
    For the longest time I blocked potty training out of my head. If anyone ever talked to me about it I would basically ignore them and if there was a thread here on TS I avoided it like it was the plague.

quote:
    Boy do I agree with the statement that they will train when they are ready.

I really could have written these sentences! My best advice is DO NOT START UNTIL THEY ARE READY!!

We tried to PT the boys at 3 1/2 and they were obviously not ready yet. We took them out of diapers and pull-ups and put them in underwear and we used a sticker chart (big [​IMG] for poops and little [​IMG] for pee) and treats (jelly beans--5 for poops and 2 for pee) for rewards. I was taking them to the potty every 30 mins-1 hr and all we got out of this was 2 extra loads of laundry a day and a VERY VERY frustrated mommy!! After a month of this I gave up and put them back in pull-ups.

I continued to take them to the potty every hour or so and they would go sometimes, but nothing regular. And they still had LOTS of pee accidents and several poop accidents a day. I still used the treat, but stopped using the chart, eventually tapering down where they were getting fewer and fewer treats until they were getting none at all. After another 6 months or so they were peeing on a regualr basis in the potty, but still I could not get them to poop in the potty. Finally in June when I signed them up for pre-school, and they HAD to be pt'd, I took them out of pull-ups again and that was the end of it...for almost 3 months straight they didn't have a pee or poop accident. [​IMG] They did finally each have a pee accident and Isaiah had a poop accident, but it was mostly b/c they could not get upstairs fast enough.

Since school started in August (when the boys were 4 1/2), they have had an occasional accident (but only at home, never at schol or while out of the house), but again mostly b/c they don't make it to the bathroom in time. Both have peed on the floor in front of the toilet b/c they could not get their pants down fast enough [​IMG] And both have had 1 or 2 poop accidents, but for the most part they are doing great!

AS far as nightitme goes, as of June, I still put them in pull-ups at first, but after they stayed dry for a couple weeks and I was jsut re-using the pull-ups each night (bc they were still clean and dry) I just stopped and they did fine. Isaiah has had a couple night time accidents, which REALLY upsets him, but not recently.

Again, don't start until they are ready, and all should be fine! Happy Potty Training!!

14. mummy-jess

mummy-jess Banned

my girls are just starting, its really hard, we tell them that they HAVE to go to the toilet when they need to and they seem like they understand but they just keep wetting.

15. valentinetwins

valentinetwins Well-Known Member

I honestly cannot believe I'm posting this. This is the one thing that I have dreaded the most....I kept making excuses as to why they were not ready to my DH etc..until the week before Thanksgiving. I had been reading pottytraing books to them and letting them sit on the potty for months with no progress then one day Audrey just went! I was so excited for her and kept jumping around the house and clapping. She decided then and there that she no longer wanted diapers. She has been in underwear since that day. Even Aiden cheers her on. I still put a diaper on her at night since she has always been a deep sleeper and is always wet in the am. but during the day, even on outings she is in underwear. Now I'm hoping that Aiden will follow. It really was painless and alot easier than I had anticipated. I think waiting until THEY are ready is the key. Good Luck to all you moms and I'll let you know how it goes with Aiden.

16. ryanandnate

ryanandnate Well-Known Member

Potty trained for 2wks now [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I still can't figure out how it happened. We just stopped putting diapers and pull ups on all together. We just used big boy underwear and after a few accidents, volia! The boys will be 3 in March and we have been tinkering with it since Last christmas! Good luck everybody!! Wouldn't ya know that the weekend before I just bought a $26.00 case of diapers? [​IMG]

17. Sarah Parker

Sarah Parker New Member

Hi everyone!
    This is kind of an update & another cry for help. The last time I wrote, my girls were having a hard time grasping the potty training concept. Currently, one is completely potty trained (YEAH!!!) & the other is totally pee trained (YEAH!!). However, I cannot get her to poop in the potty. She will always pee in the potty, but no poop. She has pooped maybe 3 times in the potty over a period of 4 mos. I have tried rewards (stickers, charts etc.), bribary (candy) & not letting her wear underpants. The last one is the most effective, but she is in daycare & can't run around w/no underpants on. I am so frustrated. If I ask her where she is supposed to go poopy she says in the potty, but will go in her pants. I have tried to have the no big deal, she will get it attitude, but it is starting to wear thin. I know it is not helpful to put pressure on, but what do I do? She is not afraid of the potty or of going poopy in the potty. Help! Any tips?

18. 2blessed

2blessed Well-Known Member

I await suggestions for you Sarah, but your far beyond me! My girls are not interested at all, they tell me when they are pooping but do not want to sit on the toilet.
    They will be 3 1/2 at the end of Feb!! I have read that when they are ready, it just happens...not sure if that means I do nothing in the meantime???

I am now waiting until spring when the weather is warmer and there are less clothes involved...then I may just try panties under their diapers and go from there!

19. sharongl

The biggest key on getting them poop trained is to really watch for when they need to go, and pop them on the toilet--even if they have already started. Jon trained at 3 3/4 years, and since he was into the v-smile, we would put a cartridge in the batroom--couldn't get it, but could see it. If he went poop on the toilet he got the cartridge. (I stocked up when they were on sale at Wal-mart). The first 2 times, he got one, and then we said he had to go a few days, then a week, and that was it. The first cartrige stayed there for 2 weeks, and then the others went quickly. I would definately go with underpants, more of a pain to clean, but they need to get away from the "safety" of pullups and diapers.

20. momof2hansens

momof2hansens Member

i need help! i am a SAHM who is halfway through (?) potty training. Please please share your thoughts or suggestions.

this is the story. i started potty training my b/g twins in early september 2006 (they were 2 in july). they requested their own potty chairs, were interested in "going like mommy and daddy" and stayed dry during the night.

my DD took to it on the very first day, we had a big potty party etc and she has been in big girl underpants since.

my DS is doing well when we go out in public. he tells us when he has to go (numerous times) and holds it until we can get to the potty. at home however, he is STILL going in his pants. i feel like ive tried everything to get him to consistantly go (even monitoring his visits with grams who think she just isnt physically ready yet, so she puts him in pull ups if im not there)

he even wakes up in the middle of the night and goes by himself, likewise first thing in the morning. it just seems that he is too busy to go during the day.

im so frustrated ive thought about putting him back in diapers but its been so long without them, i feel like im on the verge of going either way. one more big puddle on my carpet and i dont know what i will do.

help help help!!

21. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Well-Known Member

This may be a very ignorant sounding question...but what is a v-smile cartridge??? I have no clue what you are talking about and it sounds like it really motivated somebody!
    Thanks for the help,
    Rhonda

22. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

*sigh* I thought I'd already posted on this thread.... about Rachel. I was going to update it to include Alexis.

I started training rachel when she was 15 months... after she'd been telling me all summer, AH PEE DIE PEE. Finally i realized that meant, I've peed in my diaper. We had some wonderful successes on the potty. Then something happend and we both got frustrated and I put the potty away for 6 wks. Then I brought it out and if she wanted to sit there I let her but I didnt really try to train again until 18 months.

Sometimes she is dry from naps, sometimes not. For a while, it seemed she was peeing in the bed on laundry day, after I'd already put a clean sheet on! So I started putting her back in diapers for naps. Now I just put a pull up on her.

Alexis I waited with her. She didnt want to sit on the potty. I thought she might be pulling an independent thing on me, so at 20 months I let her just run around half naked for a morning. When she "freaked out" and began backing away from her own pee, I knew for sure that she was clueless and not ready to train.

Well just before they turned 21 months, Alexis started grabbing her diaper and telling me when she had peed. So I decided to start putting her on the potty everytime I put Rachel on. On days I was busy or stressed, I just put Alexis in a pull up. On "easy" days, I would put her in panties.

Thanks for all the ideas I've gleaned from everyone asking quetions. The best thing that worked for Alexis was "practicing" the "right thing" to do. We took her from the site of the accident and ran into the bathroom 5-10 times. Now she says, "Potty" and I say, "Run" and she says, "RUN! Run RUUUNNNNNN!!" and into the bathroom she goes.

Now If I could just get them both to start pulling their own pants down... They also have trouble puling them up.... they get them up in the front but not in the back. The only reason I keep doing what I'm doing is that I need to save the diaper money for something else.

23. AZmom

AZmom Well-Known Member

Here we go!!! My dd has been interested in the potty for a bit. We have a story by Karen Katz that she just loves. Today we purchased 2 different potties. Dh was so excited she took all of her clothes off and pooped then again. She was so proud!!! Then my ds could care less that he had his own. He asked briefly if I would take his diaper off, then dropped it. The next adventure begins. I am looking forward to reading the potty training thread. But first, I must conquer the dishes!!
    LH
    [​IMG]

24. Jobaby

Jobaby Active Member

My boys are almost 3. I've tried everything I can think of try and get them to use the "big-boy-potty" and they just aren't interested. They would much rather wear a diaper! They've been wearing training pants some, and we go through those just like diapers. HELP ! !

25. manyblessings

manyblessings Member

I used the book potty trsining in less than a day. It worked for my daughter. DShe was literraly potty trained in a half day besides in the evening which onyl took her one more month. My other twin girl took a little longer however they were both trained by two years old. one of my girls struggled at night and that took a little longer. she is now three and does wonderful. I have just started pott training my youngest 20 month girl. I have tried the same method hoping for success. However she has a different personality and it appear it will take some more time and patience. she showed signs early and will go on the pooty at least 4 times today. So this isi exciting .

26. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Well, they aren't night trained yet but they are day trained. I'm still unclear on how it all happened. Both were naked trained around 18 months (not my first choice for methods, they just like taking their clothes off). I didn't think they were ready for underpants because they would only remember to use the potty if they were naked and they wouldn't communicate their potty needs... they were also peeing frequently. Gradually, they started going longer between potty visits and the volume increased. If they wet in a diaper, they wanted to be changed immediately and it was very wet. One day, at 28 months of age, both went into the bathroom, removed their diapers, and used the potty. So, I went ahead and put them in underpants and made a big deal about it. They had a couple of accidents each the first day, one each the next couple of days, and now we've gone days without a whoops. The last accident each had was small because they stopped themselves mid-pee and called for help. They then finished at the potty.

I'm still in shock. Everyone says how boys train later and I really expected it to be more difficult. I guess they were just very ready. Our biggest challenge was pushing them to stay clothed. It took a couple of rough days but oh, what a difference! My favorite thing (aside from how cute they are in their big boy underpants) is that they cheer each other on. They will literally clap and congratulate each other on using the potty. :friends:

27. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

I was one of those moms who just didn't bother. Well, maybe that's not entirely true. I bought two Baby Bjorn potty chairs when they were about 18 months old, and tried to get them to sit on them -- but mostly they wore the bowls on their heads! Twice early on Melissa made pee in it. Later they both absolutely refused to sit on it. So the potties gathered dust. We tried panties, and they liked them, but just peed on the floor. When they turned three I really knew I should be doing something, but whenever I tried to convince them to sit on the potties, tantrums ensued. So I didn't push it at all. Every now and then I'd bring up the idea. Well, I even mentioned that after they started using the potty maybe we'd get a swing set...but I don't think that helped.

So, that third birthday was in August and I said "by Christmas" but when Thanksgiving rolled around and very little progress had been made, I just really figured it wasn't happening. I had a sticker chart and they each had like five stickers on it from September through Thanksgiving. I also was giving them M&M's but clearly it wasn't enough. But then suddenly out of nowhere they just started doing it. Using the potty and demanding their M&Ms too. Seriously within five days they were 100% pee trained with no accidents.

And poo came easily after that for us too -- a serious concern since they both have chronic constipation. Definitely by Christmas they were just done. Night trained too. Jade would sometimes ask for a pull-up but was consistently dry in the morning.

Now the whole diaper thing suddenly seems like a long time ago and the concerns that they would never potty train so silly.

28. jpartlan

jpartlan Active Member

Here's my potty training story. On Dec 31st 2008 we decided to start potty training our 2 year 4 month old twins. We had heard about the 3 day potty training and were very skeptical but thought we would give it a try while I was home during shut down. Well 5 days later we have no accidents during the day and are working on one of them through the night time. One I believe is pretty much trained during the night time. I'm and thoroughly impressed. I can't believe it. I didn't think it was harsh at all which I have heard some people say about the 3 day potty training. And it is totally worth taking 3 days of your life to do this and get it over with. Yes there will be some maintenance and there is some prep work before you start. But on the whole I totally think it is worth it.

We completely went from diapers to underwear. No pull ups were used I truely believe this only confuses the child that they are allowed to pee their pants sometimes but not others. It should be unacceptable all the time. We do use waterproof training pants at night for now just in case and to hopefully have less laundry to do though it appears one of my twins will not need these soon and the other one is well on his way.

Some prep work we did was allowing them to play potty and obviously watching us use the potty. We also talked to them about it for a few weeks before we started to let them know what was going to happen so they wouldn't be surprised. You also need to make sure they have plenty of fiber in their diet prior and during this training so they are not constipated so it will be easier for them to poop on the potty.

On the first day we did a diaper throwing away ritual. Each of them threw away a diaper (I still wasn't convinced this was going to work so I didn't throw them all away.) And they then understood that they didn't have any diapers left. The first day had a lot of accidents. However, by the end of the day they were usually already at the potty when they wet themselves. The next day Trevor had no more accidents and hasn't during the day since. Alex was having a little more difficulty but he only had 2 accidents on the second day and 1 the next day. I'm telling you this is amazing.

We did get a book on 3 day potty training and are now using the techniques for night time potty training. I anticipate that we'll be completely finished potty training by the end of January 09. With continued maintenance.

As for the maintenance...I'm not sure if that is a good word it's just the word I'm using. We still have to put them on the potty at regular intervals. It can't be expected that they'd be able know every single time but they will know to hold it until they are on the potty.

I just wanted to let everyone know that this was an awesome technique for us and that we have 2 90% potty trained 2.4 year olds. They aren't even talking yet but they can use the potty regularly. The worst is behind us. I would totally take this over months of frustrations. I had 1 day of frustrations and I was really tired but it is WELL worth it. If you have any questions I'm not hear regularly but you can send me a message and I'll get it soon.

29. twomore

twomore Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just wanted to brag about my girls!!
    I tried toilet training when they were almost 2 years old, I put them on the potty every 1/2 hour, but to no avail, they would not pee in there, so I gave up. Tried again 3 weeks ago,(now 26 months) and they are trained, one day and night, the other day and almost everynight.
    I started with putting them on the potty every 1/2 hour (I know a pain), I did this for about a week. Nap and night time they have a pull up on since I really am not to worrried for at night just yet. In about 3 days time, Haylee did not have any accidents during the day, and the odd time during naps and night, it ccompletely blew me away. Hope did very well in the beginning, and then started to slack off, since I knew she could do it, I did show her that I did not like it. That lasted about 2 days, and she has no more accidents during the day, she does'nt do as well during the night,(but I don't care about that yet) but is also dry during her naps. Now they will tell me when they have to go, it is stil quite often, but a lot less than last week.
    I guess we just don't give our kids enough credit, they are capable of a lot more that we think.
    Figured I would share my story with you!
    Dineke

30. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

I am excited to say that my family is officially [SIZE=24pt]POTTY TRAINED!!![/SIZE] Yes all 3 kids are out of pull-ups and diapers and on to underwear. Garrett just recently (in the last month) showed interest..and is doing awesome. In fact he will not wear pull-ups anymore. LOL
    I was just excited to say we are parents of BIG KIDS now. :)

Brandy

31. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

1 down, 1 to go!! Abby (for all intents and purposes) is potty trained...it took less than a week and she did it on her own - on her terms when she was ready....it just clicked and that was it!

32. happybearsfan

happybearsfan Well-Known Member

Ryan is SO day trained. I feel so happy typing those words.

Matt is pee trained. Poop is going to be the death of me. Dear God, please help me.

33. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We are finally 100% potty trained!! I was so frustrated when I tried the first time last summer when they were 2 1/2. We trained for three days and both girls just held their pee all day, I was going through meltdown. But, I just put away the pottys, brought them back out during my fall break which was around October. This time, I decided to have some sticker charts so they could see how good they were doing, and wouldn't you know it, Sarah had success and started peeing consistently. Allison...well, she refused, so I decided to leave her alone and focuse on Sarah. Another month or so went by and I gave Allison another shot and it worked! She just decided to pee and did fine ever since then. I really thought about just giving up, but I'm so glad I kept pulling out the potty every month and trying it again, because they did eventually go!

I have to say for us it was the sticker charts that made all the difference. I got cute, different colored, glitter star stickers and charts, and everytime the girls pee'd they got to choose their sticker and put it on their chart. For extra motivation, they wanted a big girl bed so bad that I printed out pictures of big girl beds and taped them above the charts so they could see what they would get when they filled up their chart. It really motivated them to pee in the potty. Pooping was an instant success for Allison, but Sarah was almost 8 months later. Finally, I again pulled out the sticker charts for her, and it worked again. Although Allison was pooping, she would only do it in the "little" potty, so I also put up a chart for her to encourage her to go in the big potty, and put away the little potty. After 8 months, I can now say we have no need for the little pottys and no need for pullups. We're done!!

Great job girls!! Mommy's proud of you!! :wub: :banana: :clapping: :yahoo: :woohoo:

34. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

I am half-way through the 3 Day Potty Training method from 3daypottytraining.com with my DD Addie. Yesterday we had about 3 pees in the morning that I caught in process and that she finished in the potty. Before her nap, she sat on the potty and peed before she got on her "princess sleeping panties" (pull ups). When she woke up, she sat on the potty and peed before she put back on her big girl underwear. Between waking from her nap (1:30) and bedtime (8:00) she went through 9 pairs of underwear. Most of them were full-on peeing on the floor accidents that I caught and had her finish in the potty. A few times, her underwear had a wet spot only so I had her sit on the potty and then she peed. She didn't poop at all, which is not unusual as she tends to be a little constipated.

Today, she has had no pee on the floor accidents. I checked her underwear every 30 minutes or so to see if it's dry. If it was, she got praise. If it's wet, she sat on the potty and went pee. She had wet underwear 4 times this morning so she peed in the potty 4 times. She peed before putting on her pull up as well. When she pees in the potty, I've been giving her an M&M or a sticker. She is digging the M&Ms!

I'm not worrying about naps or nighttime yet, so I plan to keep her in the pull up until she starts waking dry.

I'll update again when the 3 days are up. I'm a little skeptical that she'll be fully 100% trained in just 3 days, but I do think she'll be telling me when she has to go and that she'll be accident-free the majority of the time.

35. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

End of day 2 update--Addie had several pee on the floor accidents this afternoon and evening. I think 3 total. I caught all of them, but by the time I got her to the potty, she was done peeing. She peed on the potty several times though after I noticed she had slightly wet panties. And during dinner, she started squirming and whining in her high chair so I took her to the potty and she peed. We'll see how day 3 goes...