Postpartum Bleeding 5.5 Weeks After Delivery...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kayleesmama, Apr 7, 2007.

1. kayleesmama

kayleesmama Well-Known Member

Me post...So, my lochia was pretty much almost gone as of Wed., & now it's heavier than it has been since delivery. Sorry if TMI. It's almost like AF or something, but I'm taking BCPs (the generic of ortho-tricyclen). Should I be worried? I also am supposed to have my 6 week checkup for me on Monday afternoon. If I'm still bleeding like this, should I call & cancel or reschedule? What do you all think? A bit worrisome. I know the lochia can come & go, but this makes me nervous. I don't think I should use tampons either, right? At least not until after my appt on Monday? :huh:

2. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

I was still bleeding at my 6 month check up as well, I bled for 3 months after delivery, and the OB informed me that can be normal.

3. MichTrif

MichTrif Member

With my first delivery (2 yrs ago) I bled on and off for 4 weeks. It started back again just before my 6 week checkup. I had to call and reschedule for 8 weeks. My OB told me that it was probably AF since I had been supplementing with formula. I couldn't belive it!

Could you be doing too much too soon? Are you BF or FF?

This time around I only bled for 2 weeks and spotted for 3 weeks. I was surprised since this tie was a c-section.

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

I bled for quite awhile as well. You are most likely overdoing it, causing the bleeding to worsen or hang on longer than normal. I would still go to the appointment, and just tell the nurse that you are still bleeding. :hug99:

5. kayleesmama

Thanks for the replies! I don't feel that I'm really doing too much...just dishes/feeding babies/taking care of our 3 year old dd (who is feeling much better today...thank you all!! :) ) I'm doing laundry, & my dh helps tons when he is home too. I'm not really doing anything differently this week than I have been the last few weeks.

Can I have a period if I'm on birth control pills? I'm also formula feeding.

6. geaemama

geaemama Well-Known Member

I bled with all my kids for at least 12 weeks. Some days it would almost be gone, then the next day it would be heavier than ever.

7. kayleesmama

Did you still go to your appt to be checked while you were bleeding?

8. Alyson

Alyson Well-Known Member

I'd mention it to your dr. I know it can last 6-8 weeks. But can also be a sign of retained placenta especially if you are having pain as well.

9. kayleesmama

No pain, really. Just bleeding.