Postpartum bleeding after twins?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Twins08, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Twins08

Twins08 Well-Known Member

Hi ladies, I'm due any day now and have lots of questins running through my mind.

My question is, did you bleed a lot more postpartum with twins than with a singleton pregnancy? I've heard it is much heavier bleeding after twins. Ughh! It seems as though each time I have a baby, the postpartum bleeding is heavier and worse! I can't imagine what it will be like with twins!!!

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Yes, I did and I bled for alot longer on and off too. Congrats you are almost there!!

3. EOMommy

EOMommy Well-Known Member

My doctor said you have less pp bleeding with a c-section.
    I bled for a few days after and then it was merely spotting. By 3 weeks pp I was pantiliner free!!!
    (I had an emergency c-section)

4. jillangel

jillangel Well-Known Member

I too had way less bleeding with the twins but it was a csection where my first was vaginal and I bled a long time.

5. lilly_&_hunter

lilly_&_hunter Well-Known Member

I had a c-section and had spotty bleeding up until 6 weeks post partum.

6. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

I was noticing that I was bleeding more (esp. if I got up and moved around), and then one morning almost two weeks out from L&D (I delivered vaginally), I basically started REALLY bleeding alot more than what I had ever thought was normal. I ended up back in the hospital within two hours with "retained product" (part of placenta left in there). Had to have a D&C to take care of it.

After the D&C, bleeding was noticeably less and stopped altogether about 6 days after the procedure.

I guess I'm sharing this because anyone having too much bleeding or any clotting/bright red stuff should definitely get on the phone with the doc just to make sure it's normal. I lost a lot of blood and almost had to have another transfusion.

7. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I don't have a first pregnancy to compare but they had to give me a second bag of pitocin and then it was 12 hours later before I was able to get in a wheelchair to see them in special care. I was soooo dizzy getting into the wheelchair and we had to try it several times because it just poured out. I used pads for a full 6 weeks after if not longer. I never had major clots though. I also had a c/section.

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I bled for almost 8 weeks after my twins and a c-section.
    I bled for about 4 weeks after my singleton and a vaginal birth.

9. becky5

becky5 Guest

I actually bled less, mostly because my activity level wasn't as high as after my single babies. I was mostly sitting, feeding babies! Good luck with your delivery!

10. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I have only had twins- but after an emergency C, I bled for 12 weeks (I kid you not)- heavy for the first 7 of them. UGH! I talked to my OB and she said that was the far end of normal and if it did not stop by 16 they would look into it.

11. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

I had much less bleeding with my twins, but I also had a c-section with the twins. With my son I had a vaginal birth and bled until he was 10 it seemed.

12. Twins08

Twins08 Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies, I'm hoping it won't be too bad...it just seems like the more babies I've had, the heavier the bleeding after. Sucks! LOL!

13. cduray

cduray Active Member

I'd like to second the previous post about retained product. I had really bad bleeding at 4 weeks, ended up in the ER. I was given meds and the doctor told me it was probably my period (HA). At 6 weeks, they had to do a D&C and two days later I ended up in the ER again and delivered the rest of the placenta that they missed at the D&C.

My point is not to scare you but to make sure you realize that feeling really bad 6 weeks post delivery isn't normal and you shouldn't still be on pain meds and bleeding heavily. If you are...please get medical attention and demand an ultrasound. I wish I had known then what I know now!

14. Azevedo7205

Azevedo7205 Member

I had my girls 11 weeks ago and I bled heavy for 8 weeks and now i have on and off spotting and the doc said it was normal!! I had a c-section and this was my first pregnancy!!!! I was so excited not to have my period for 9 months but i guess i am making up for it now! hahah