postpartum depression

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by KeriU, Sep 23, 2010.

1. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

As delivery day approaches I am getting rather anxious and nervous. I am absolutly scared to death of dealing with postpartum depression again. I had it so bad with my son who is now three that I actually had to move in with my parents for three weeks just so I could get myself together. I have read that those who have had it previously are even more likely to get it the second time around especially with twins. I was just wondering how many other people have experienced this and was it really bad the second time around or with twins?? I can't imagine any worse than the first time around...my doctor wanted to put me in inpatient care for a while. This time he said he can start me on an antidepressant while in the hospital to get control of it first. I have been on and off of them for years and would prefer not to take them while BFing, but I'm really not sure I should risk not taking them right away. I have done a lot to prepare for what I think would help...like having premade meals that can be thrown in the oven and I have help arranged to stay with us for the first three weeks. Anyone else have any other ideas that may help or how to cope with it better?

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

KerriU, I commend you for preparing for your babies' birth and really trying to do all in your power to minimize PPD before they are born. HERE is a link to Kellymom about the effect of PPD meds on breastfed babies. There is more info at this sticky in the Breastfeeding Forum. Please visit us with and and all questions you have.

As to further preparation, 3 weeks is a great amount of help, but you may want to push everybody back a few weeks depending on your SO's schedule. I think 6 week olds are tougher than 3 week olds. Also, when people ask if you need anything, have them bring a meal or have a grocery list ready to rattle off to them.

:youcandoit: :grouphug:

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am sorry that you went through it so hard the first time around, and here's hoping that you can cope better this time. But it's great to see that you're being proactive about it. I think half of PPD is being blindsided by it... I didn't even realize how far gone I was until I was out of it and looking back. If your PPD was that severe, I would probably consider meds. BF'ing is wonderful and important, but you are too... you need to take good care of yourself first. Talk to your doctor about bf'ing and meds, there may be some drugs that are compatible. Definitely being prepared with food and help for the first few weeks will help. At about 3 or 4 months we also hired a meal service for a while which was a tremendous help if you can afford it. Don't be afraid to talk about how you feel with whoever is around you helping out.. help them recognize when you're getting pushed to your limits. Beyond that, I really encourage you to find other moms to get out to the mall with, at least once a week get out of the house alone, even if it is to just run errands. If there is a twins club in your area, they can be a tremendous source of support.

And of course, check in here as often as you can... this is a great group of people who have been there, done that, for just about anything you can think of.

4. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am sorry for what you went through with your son.
    I do think its good that you will recognize the signs and hopefully be able to address it head on if it were to happen this time around, but hopefully you wont have to! :grouphug:
    We do have a forum specifically for PPD here at TS and it would be a great support for you.
    I would suggest lining up some help if at all possible, just with feedings and giving you breaks and help with cleaning and even maybe so you can spend some one on one time with your son.

Take care!! and get lots of rest, I know easier said then done, right?

5. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

I dealt with some PPD with one of my kids and was on meds for a bit, however, that was 7 years ago and I have taken a much more natural approach to health. Here is some information I have on taking care of PPD naturally. I hope that some of these will work for you , but I would encourage you to think positive now and try not to worry!

You can find all of this at your local health food store.

Lemon Balm Leaves- You can get as a tea and drink 1 or 2 cups a day for several weeks. Add milk and honey to taste.

Blessed Thistle Leaves- Drink a cup or 2 of the infusion daily or get a tincture and use 80 drops a day

Postpartum Depression Brew-
    1/2 oz dried, shredded Licorice root
    1 oz dried crumbled Raspberry leaf
    1 oz dried finely cut Rosemary leaves
    1 oz dried cut skullcap

Mix the dried herbs thoroughly together. Use 2 tsps per cup of boiling water to prepare tea. Licorice favorably affects the hormonal balance and cheers the spirits. Raspberry tones the uterus and and ovaries and increases the available calcium, making life seem a bit easier.Rosemary increases the milk flow, adds calcium, tones the liver and is a favorite for depression. Skullcap also adds calcium and is a superb nerve strengthener and soother. prolonged use establishes emotional calm.

If you do not want to make the entire tea from scratch many health food stores have these teas or a mixture. I drink Red Raspberry Leaf tea through my entire pregnancies. It helps with bleeding after also. I hope that you find encouragement and a way to fight the PPD. Think positive thoughts... You can do this.

6. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

Make sure you communicate a lot with your husband or boyfriend. He can jump in and help a lot right from the beginning with making sure your needs are met. I agree that I would start on meds right from the start in the hospital. My PPD was worse with the twins than with any of my other kids. Good luck to you and make sure you rest often and let people know what you need, even if it's a nap or time to yourself or shoot, even a few hours out of the house alone!

7. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support and ideas! I am sure if I face it head on things will work themselves out. My biggest thing will be letting people know what I need and not feel like I have to do it all myself! My husband will be around more this time around so that is a big relief.

8. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I had PPD with my son and wasn't even sure I wanted to get pregnant again since I never wanted to go back to that horrible place. My husband wanted more kids so I agreed to try for one more and was TERRIFIED when I found out it was 2 more. I felt exactly how you feel now, I had no idea what to expect and had heard PPD is more common the second time around and also more common with twins. I debated going on anti-depressants at the end of my pregnancy just to try to avoid the mess that happened the first time however my care-providers told me to wait to re-evaluate after the birth. I had made a deal with my husband that if I was ever going to have more kids he needed to be home for at least 6 weeks after the birth. Once we found out it was twins he deicded to stay home for 2 months (we saved all his vacation and over-time hours to make this possible).

I am happy to tell you that this time it has been a COMPLETELY different experience. The sleep deprivation sucks and there are still bad days but overall things have been going very well. Iam not on any meds and I wanted to let you know that it can be different the second time around. I bonded with my girls right away (it took over 6 months with my son) and the relationship the 3 of us have is wonderful. I also actually have lots of happy memories from the last 8.5 months (which makes me sad when I think about how the first year was for my son). I understand now why people have more children because I now feel the way you are supposed to feel.

I had major issues BF'ing my son which I think lead to the issues with attachment I had with him. I ended up not BF'ing my girls (we tried for a week and had latch issues similar to those I had with my son) since I decided a happy healthy mommy was better for them than breastmilk and a mommy who wanted to run away (or worse) and my husband supported this decision (my mid-wife not so much but she doesn't even have kids and has never dealt with depression so I just let it go). I still feel guilty about the formula but then I try to remember the alternative and I know for my family I made the right choice. There are meds you can take and BF (I have a friend who did this) so talk to your doctor if this is something that comes up. I think you should do whatever you need to do to stay healthy...your babies need you!

Good luck and I hope that things turn out well for you too!

9. zanetaya

zanetaya Well-Known Member

My twins are now 8 weeks old....I was super-worried about this too. I dealth with it with my oldest. It was awful!!!! Surprisingly with my twins...I didn't deal with any of the hormonal crap that goes on after babies are usually born. I was NEVER weepy or soppy at all. I never had any baby blues or depression at all. Sometimes I would cry just because my babies amazed me so much! :) So, trust me when I say there is hope that you may not even deal with it at all!! Good luck to you.

ps. I made this a serious matter of prayer and think that had a TON to do with it ;) If believe in the power of prayer.... :)

10. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that I've been on Lexapro for it since a few days before the babies were born and I've breastfed the entire time. There are meds that you can take and still breast feed.

11. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Good luck, I haven't suffered with it but know it had be very hard. Glad your DH can be aroune more and you have people you can ask to help. Hope it all goes smoothly.

12. sistersbeall

sistersbeall Well-Known Member

I suffered from PPD after having my twins, and i thought i was doing what i needed to by taking meds early. My problem was that the PPD did not kick in until the girls were about four to six months old. I am proud of you for looking for it to happen. I expected it to happen as well because depression runs in my family, and my mom had passed away ten months before the girls were born.

I agree with one of the prior posts......push back the help for about a week or two. The first two weeks with twins was pretty easy. They eat and sleep. Week three was when it starting getting rougher because they were much more alert. I learned this the hard way....don't be afraid to ask. I felt bad asking my dad and MIL to do things like laundry and dishes, but that was what I really needed.

I don't know about the effects of meds and breastfeeding because i was not able to bf but I was told that there are some that are prefectly safe. GOOD LUCK!!!