postpartum rash

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by melissa8, Jan 11, 2010.

1. melissa8

melissa8 Member

I just delivered my twins via scheduled c-section on 1/4/10 (1 week ago) and I have developped a horrible rash over my arms and legs. I've seen a few forums on this on other websites, but wondering if it is more common with twins, and what to do about it. It is keeping me up at night, which is terrible consdering I only get 4 hours of sleep anyway in my attempt to exclusively breastfeed my girls. How long does it last?

2. evemomma

evemomma Well-Known Member

I had a horrible rash after my ds...it was like hives and INCREDIBLY itchy. My OB tested my liver function just to be safe, but we couldn't identify any actual cause (chalked it up to changing hormones). I was given a very strong antihistamine to help, but it made me so sleepy I couldn't care for my son. It took about 3-4 weeks to clear up. GL!!!!

3. JShardy

JShardy Active Member

You are most certainly not alone. I just had my girls on 1/6/10 and am still suffering from a rash all over my stomach and arms. I just lather on lots of cortizone cream and it helps a bit. I cannot take benadryl because I would not be able to BF the girls and care for my other 3 kids. Did you have a c-section? For me, I think it has to do with having a c-section. This is my second c-section and I had the same terrible rash with both. Hang in there and congrats on the birth of your daughters!

4. evemomma

evemomma Well-Known Member

Eek! I had a c-section too, I wonder if that means I'll have the rash again THIS time with the twins (having a planned c-sec). My doctor prescribed some weird med (like Zantac I think) for stomach issues b/c he said there was another mechanism in the med that could help with the itching/rash without the tiredness...and it was safe for nursing. Wouldn't hurt to ask Dr. about. Also, mine would go away and then come back with skin contact (like my dh would rub my back and it would break out into hives). It ALWAYS broked out around my wrists after I washed my hands. So weird! I thought I was the only one with this!

5. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

I had the same kind of rash after my boys were born- via c section. They never determined the cause but think it may have been some sort of reaction to a medication I was given during the procedure. It was awful, too. All over my belly, arms and legs. It lasted for about 6 weeks and came in waves. They also tested my liver- something about enzymes... They gave me some benadryl but it made me so sleepy (and I was already sleep deprived.) I had some cortizone cream that kind of helped but mostly I just had to wait it out. Sorry you're going through this- it stinks but hopefully it will pass quickly. Good luck and take care! And congratulations on your twins!! :)

6. melissa8

melissa8 Member

Thanks for your help. I called the doctor today and she said she's never heard of a postpartum rash. I may try the benadryl, I just will need someone to latch the babies on as I am sure it will put me into a deep sleep :) It is way worse than anything else about this c-section. Ah well. Sounds like 6 weeks at most!! aargh.

7. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

I had this too. They told me it was a side effect/reaction to the morphine they gave me in my spinal block. They said next time to mention it when I go in for my c-section and they will predose me with a little benadryl to help combat the reaction.

hope you get some relief soon!