potty training...baby bjoern potty chair vs. baby bjoern little potty

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by alexafaeh, Dec 17, 2008.

1. alexafaeh

alexafaeh Well-Known Member

we are starting to potty train our twins (thanks to hardwood floors ;) and I was wondering if anybody has feedbacks on the 2 different baby bjoerns? they got both good reviews but I am not sure which one to try first.

regular potty:
    http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDeta...?productId=6534

little potty:
    http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDeta...?productId=6538

also, I am looking for any other tips or ways how you handled potty training at an early age like that, our twins are 9 1/2 months old and crawl, stand up and cruise very well.

thanks!
    alexa

2. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We use the regular sized Baby Bjorn potty. The little one seems, well, too little. I highly recommend the Baby Bjorn potty though, it works great for us.

I have no advice on training 9 1/2 month olds, mine were not even remotely close to being ready at that point. We started in earnest at 2 1/2, that's when they showed signs of being ready.

3. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We have the potty chair and I highly recommend it. It's very easy to clean. I agree that the little one looks too little. It might do in a pinch (or be good for keeping in the car), but as an everyday potty, I think they'd have a hard time feeling comfy on it since they couldn't really lean back.

But I also have no idea about training babies that young. Can they even sit on the potty or do you just have to hold them over the toilet?

I guess I share the opinion that it isn't the babies who are being trained at that age, it's the parents. You can learn what their patterns are, and you can teach them to signal that they are about to go, so you can get them to the toilet.To me, potty training means that the child can a) know when she's going to go and hold it till she gets to the toilet, and b) deal with the process by herself.

But you didn't ask that :D -- so however you're planning to do it, I wish you luck! Let us know how it goes.

4. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

We used the little one and had great success with it. It was super easy to clean, and worked well with two boys (for which you need the little splash guard).

Our routine went like this:

In the morning after breakfast, I'd take their diaper off and sit them on their potty in front of the tv. I would leave them there until they peed or pooped in the potty (that was their usual pooping time so that's why I chose that time). Once they did that, I praised them, cleaned them up and dressed them for the day in big boy underwear.

During the day, especially the first week or two, I took them to a bathroom every hour to hour and a half. This meant we had to stay either close to home or a park with a bathroom. We had a few accidents, and it was a lot of work for me to keep track of things, but it only took about a week or so for them to get pretty much potty trained.

I only put them on their potties for about a week. That seemed to be long enough for them to get used to the sensation of pooping in a potty, as opposed to a diaper, and for them to begin to recognize their body's signals. After that they began telling me they had to go pee and eventually poop.

On a side note, my boys didn't become night trained until closer to 5, and stopped having night time accidents altogether at around 6 1/2. But, the daytime training went really smoothly and quickly.

5. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we have the Bjorn big (regular sized) potties and my kids don't mind them - of course my DD will tinkle anywhere - she's not particular...DS has not yet started to train (although he likes to sit and tell you he went - he really doesn't!)