Potty Training Help

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by haleystar, Aug 21, 2012.

1. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

The boys are getting closer, I think but I'm worried that I will have to keep them in diapers until I can get them over this horrible fear of public restrooms. Whenever we go to one to simply wash our hands they scream frantically and it's because of the loud noises from the fans or someone using the blower to dry their hands.

Anyone have any suggestions???

TIA

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Kristine, my son (who is almost 5) is just overcoming his fear of public restrooms and he has been PT'ed for 2 years. He would just hold it while we were out and amazed me with his determination not to use a potty outside of a home environment. I suggest ALOT of patience and many trips for as long as they can stand to a public restroom. You might only be able to do 30 seconds at first, but with my son, I would make a point to have to go to the bathroom while we were out so he could see that public restrooms were okay and he would be okay. It took him a long time. He still is not fond of potties with the automatic flush and I still bring post it notes to cover that, so he can flush the potty himself. Hopefully your boys will get over their fear faster then my son did, but it took a lot of work on the part of myself, my Mom and my husband to get him over the hump. He had a hard time with the loud noises in the bathroom as well.
    I think another thing that motivated him was me telling him that he is not going to be able to go to big school with his sister unless he starts using the public restroom.