Practical Christmas gift ideas?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by [email protected], Nov 19, 2011.

1. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

So like many of you we have way toooooo many toys etc. in this house. And here comes another holiday. Of course the families are all asking "what do they need for x-mas?" What I want to say is nothing, plus what about the meaning of christmas! I know they will still get gifts but does anyone have any practical ideas that is not going to take up even more space in this house, LOL?

TIA!!!!!1

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Zoo or museum memberships? Movie tickets. Build-a-Bear gift cards. Arts and craft type things.

1 person likes this.
  3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

That, or magazine subscriptions.

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Music classes, playgroups, swim lessons. Sometimes, when they get money, we put some aside, and keep the rest out for the year-various activities like music, etc, or some new sneakers, etc.

5. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Do your kids need clothes, shoes or coats, bathings suits, cape towels, swim goggles, mitts etc? Those are just a few things that I always seem to need for my kids, and they would be pretty excited to get any of them for a present. My kids also like books, dvds, coupons for the zoo, or play centres (although if they were to unwrap that they would want to go immediately!)

6. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

I have been telling people clothes and build a bear cards. We don't really have a zoo or aquarium very close to us a membership isn't the most practical thing. The girls have been to Chuck E. Cheese twice and loved it so that might be an idea too (gift cards).

Good luck, I know what you mean about too many toys!

7. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Some really good ideas here! Before we had kids, I used to secretly make fun of my MIL for buying snacks as part of her grandkids' Birthday and Christmas gifts... but now I love it!! Cheez-its, Goldfish, Fruit Snacks, cookies, etc... all the boys' favorites! And it cuts down on my grocery bill :)

8. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

That's a great idea!

9. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

How about a day out with Grandma or Grandpa, if they live close enough. I know any of my guys would love a day to themselves with their grandparents. But that will only work for some relatives. How about a class at a science center? We have one near us called Curiosity Zone, they have all kinds of classes. You've gotten some great suggestions! Movie tickets are an AWESOME idea! We can't ever go due to cost. We might see one movie a year, if that.

My older boys actually need some clothing, so that's on our list. Do you have winter gear already, like boots? You could have people preshop for next spring. Outdoor toys are always a good buy in our house. Our guys usually need things replaced for outside, from year to year.

10. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My son asked for a map of the world to put on the wall. He saw it in the TRU magazine and thought it we could have some good geography lessons with it. I am going to hang it on the wall in their toy room.

11. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

stride rite gift cards? old navy gift cards?

My guys Love their Flashlights! go figure.