Pre-K question for teachers or school district employees

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by JoyX2, May 27, 2009.

1. JoyX2

JoyX2 Well-Known Member

I'm one of the ones who really thinks it stinks that public pre-k programs are only open to 4-year-olds on a qualification basis. At least that's how it is here in TX. You have to be under a certain income, homeless, or considered educationally "at-risk" to get in. We consider ourselves low-income, but still make way too much (surprisingly enough) to qualify on the financial basis, which really disappoints me. My boys are so ready to start school. They are getting really bored at their day care and are ready for a more structured learning environment. I would love to put them in pre-k, but like I said financially we don't qualify, even though we feel poor LOL. Is there anything else that would qualify us for pre-k? What exactly does "educationally disadvantaged" mean? Do they have to have some sort of learning disability to qualify based on that?

I called the local elementary school in our district and all i get is a voice mail and they don't return my calls or e-mails. Are there any teachers/school personnel here who can answer my questions?

Sorry for the rant...While I do think it's a good concept to give low-income kids and kids who's parents don't really work with them to prepare them for school an advantage, I just think that we average, middle-class parents who do want the best opportunities for their kids should have a shot at attending pre-k if they choose to as well.

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sorry you didn't qualify. In my school district, the Pre-K is by a lottery. So as long as the budget passed that is where my girls are going to Pre-K for free next year.

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Every town has different offerings. In our town, the preK program through the schools is run by Catholic Charities, mostly to create a peer group for the special needs students, and actually costs way more than the local preschool programs. I would look around your town, there may be a program out there that is affordable. I know Marcus' 4 year old year was something like $1400 for the year.

As for disadvantaged kids, they are looking for kids who basically aren't getting the skills at home that will help get them ready for school. One example is that they aren't getting read to at home--that is a HUGE disadvantage! There are many other factors that work into the formula. You may feel that you are poor, but the fact that you make too much probably says that there are people who are in a lot worse shape than you are. They only have so many slots that they can fill, and they probably keep the income requriement so that it allows them to fill the slots.

4. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Our local program is funded for 'at-risk' kids and you have to have at least 2 out of 25 'risk factors' to apply- low income is only 1 risk factor. AND the low income bracket is considered less than 300% of the poverty level (below $66,000 or so for a family of four).

others are: health issues (asthma, allergies), low birth weight, premature, multiple birth, single parent, divorce/death/move recently in the family, sibiling with a disability,large family, history of medical issues, incarcerated parent, teen parent,family history of low academic achievement, developmental delay of any kind, speech delay, disability (minor or you get services through more specialized programs), behavioral concerns, family medical problems (heart disease, asthma, cancer,etc), frequent moves, and a few others.

My girls 'qualify' due to multiple reasons--but then they take all the kids that 'qualify' and choose the 64 ( 4 classes of 16) kids that are 'most' at risk and place them in the program. It is free- but due to the high number of applicants, you may or may not get chosen. We will find out if the girls got spots in June.

They also have Head Start for 3s and 4s, but that has a much lower income requirement (less than $30,000 or so for a family of 4)- it is also free.

I wish there were more options-- if we dont get into the program we can not afford preschool for next year- it would be between $400-$800 a month for both of them to go to a M,W,F morning program (depending on where)! We dont qualify for HeadStart either.

Have you called around other places?? Our program is NOT highly publicized and it took some digging to get the info for it. It is federally funded and is part of the local school district---but not really, it has its own director and staff. The district has its 'own' Preschool that is completely tuition based.

Our COUNTY also has a free program that is totally independent from the school districts, but has similiar requirements (for at risk kids--- low income is not madatory)---check your county area and see if they have anything? I found ours through our local education state website.

Hope you find something!

KC

5. AliPaige717

AliPaige717 Well-Known Member

To qualify for Pre-K in my school district the school first needs to be awarded a grant from the State. Depending on how much they get for the grant depends on how many kids they can take. Once they know that it is a lottery for who gets into Pre-K and who doesn't. And if you make it in you have to accept which ever of 5 pre-schools in the area that are not district schools.

Due to all the above factors I am keeping the girls in the school they are going to now for Pre-K. The biggest reason for not putting the girls in the lottery or even finding out if the district is doing Pre-K this year is that I had no choice in what pre-school they would go to. Also, the pre-K program was 5 days a week for 2.5 hours per day. My girls go 3 days a week now for 5 hours a day. Our school district is full day Kindergarten so I don't feel the district run Pre-K will prepare the kids enough to handle a full day of school. I love where they are now so to keep them there another year is not an issue and they will goto the public school for Kindergarten.

6. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that you didn't qualify.
    "Educationally at risk" would mean they have had some learning/developmental delay, or come from a non-English speaking home.
    Have you looked around for another preschool? You might be able to find a private preschool that doesn't cost any more than their current daycare. The reason why pre-k was established for low income families was to level the playfield for those kids who come from families that can't afford any kind of private preschool, or other enrichment activities.

7. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

Here in Fl all 4 year olds are offered FREE PreK. This is not income based, but something voted on by the people and put into practice. Another program offered is headstart or early intervention. At the school where I teach, PreK is offered for 3 and 4 year old students who have been identified with a specific delay or impairment. This program takes about 2-3 model students from the *not at risk* students. The program at the elementary school is 8-1, while VPK (free prek) is 3 hour block program offered at most local preschools.

8. JoyX2

JoyX2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Meximeli @ May 27 2009, 05:01 PM) [snapback]1330373[/snapback]
    I'm sorry that you didn't qualify.
    "Educationally at risk" would mean they have had some learning/developmental delay, or come from a non-English speaking home.
    Have you looked around for another preschool? You might be able to find a private preschool that doesn't cost any more than their current daycare. The reason why pre-k was established for low income families was to level the playfield for those kids who come from families that can't afford any kind of private preschool, or other enrichment activities.

I'm only paying $180/wk for both of them in their current daycare. if anyone lives near me (Fort Worth, TX) and knows of a private pre-school comparable to this, PLEASE let me know! I haven't found any and I've been looking for a year.