Preemies & Whole Milk

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by laurenlantz, May 11, 2009.

1. laurenlantz

laurenlantz Well-Known Member

I know that my girls are nowhere near needing whole milk, but I still pump for them everyday and I need a goal to look forward to. My girls were born Sept. 1st, but not due until Nov. 20th. I am going on a big trip at the beginning of August and would like to be done with the pump by then. Just wondering for those of you who had preemies what you did as far as whole milk. Did your pediatrician give you the go ahead on their actual birthday or tell you to wait until their adjusted birthday? I can't afford 3 months of formula so I'm hoping it's their birthday. Thanks!

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Well my ds was only a month early but I started him on milk at 10 months old:) My dd was on time and started on milk around 10/11 months. Will probably do the same for the babies and they were a month early!

3. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

Mine gave the okay at their actual age of 12 months. I didn't take them off of whole milk until they were 2.5, they are now on 2%. (we also give organic too)

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(angie7 @ May 11 2009, 03:11 PM) [snapback]1309058[/snapback]
    Mine gave the okay at their actual age of 12 months. I didn't take them off of whole milk until they were 2.5, they are now on 2%. (we also give organic too)

Exact same scenario here.

5. LB

LB Well-Known Member

gave it at chronological age. My guys were 6 weeks early.

6. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

We did it at 1 yr, but did have to add Carnation Instant Breakfast to add calories for my mini men. It was just as expensive as formula but really helped with the transition. Some peds recommend it even before 1 yr, so you may want to ask at your next appt.

7. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

My DD was 7 wks early, and i gave her milk at her chronological 12 mo. I never even thought about waiting.

8. San12

San12 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering about this as well. Our Pedi made us wait until 6 months adjusted to start solids, so I wonder if he'll do the same for Milk.

9. laurenlantz

laurenlantz Well-Known Member

That's interesting because mine had us start solids at their 6 month chronological age, which is why I suspect she'll give us the go ahead with milk on their birthday.

10. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

hey lauren :) mine were born at 30 weeks the the ped. AND wic both told me to start introducing whole milk at 11 months. it was a nightmare with screaming babies and constipation. big mess! now i give them 2oz prune juice with 4oz milk for naps/bed and that keeps things moving okay. mik is soooo much cheaper than formula lol.

11. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My girls were a month early and we were given the go ahead on everything at actual age, not adjusted. They were always healthy and had no problems, so for us, we started whole milk right at a year old actual age. Also, we introduced very slowly. It actually took us almost two weeks to change over and we had no problems. We introduced it 1/4 to 3/4 mixed with formula for the first for a couple of days, and then introduced 1/2 to 1/2 for a couple of days, and so on to give their bodies time to adjust to the whole milk. Our girls never had any trouble with constipation, BM's, or gas when it did it this way.

12. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

I would think it would depend. One of mine has caught up quite well and the other is still a ways behind. I am assuming that one will be able to move on at 12 months actual age and my other will have to wait a bit - but we will see what the ped recommends.