Pregnancy Brain-short term memory loss

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Specky, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I copied this clip from another group I'm on and thought it was funny, especially what's been happening to me lately:

http://www.epinions.com/kifm-review-698-41...-39D15C95-prod1

I couldn't for the life of me the other day remember the color 'red'. I'm always forgetting words...BASIC words!

I have been driving and forget where I was supposed to be going and end up somewhere where I wasn't supposed to be; so much lately...

And Dr.s appts...forget it! missed 3 in the last week, just because I spaced it! I HATE THAT!

AND THE KICKER...

I prepaid for gas this morning...and forgot to pay, ok that happens...I did it TWICE! went back after the first time to tell the cashier that I fogot to pump, and then drove off again....by the second time I swear there was an audience peering out the window as I slunked to get my gas! needless to say I was late for work! (hey at least it made a good story).

Anyone else have a good story or two??

gotta run, forgot what else I wanted to say! LOL!
    reb

2. angelf

angelf Well-Known Member

I also forget basic words and I feel like such an idiot. The other thing that I do is forget midsentence what I'm talking about. Very frustrating.

The silliest thing (that I can remember!) is that I will go to the grocery store, and instead of using a basket, I'll just put the items in my reuseable grocery bag. Then I put them up on the belt to get rung up, and lo and behold, I don't remember to give the cashier my reuseable grocery bag back until all my groceries are in a plastic bag. I do this like every time I go to the grocery store, so you would think that I would have learned my lesson now.

Now that I'm on bedrest, I think my coworkers are secretly glad that I'm gone... I was starting to become more of a liability than an asset! :rotflmbo:

3. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

I am also forgetting what I am talking about midsentence. I also misplace everything-my keys when they are already in my hand, my cell phone when it is in my pocket. I usually have my DH and DD running like crazy around the house looking for the stuff and then they are like "look in your hand!!!". Now those are some of the first places they start to look when I lose anything :)

4. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mstofko21 @ Jul 30 2008, 11:19 AM) [snapback]904426[/snapback]
    I am also forgetting what I am talking about midsentence. I also misplace everything-my keys when they are already in my hand, my cell phone when it is in my pocket. I usually have my DH and DD running like crazy around the house looking for the stuff and then they are like "look in your hand!!!". Now those are some of the first places they start to look when I lose anything :)

I've turned the house upside down looking for my cell phone while I was talking on it. Seriously. Sad, I know.

5. msamoyedny

msamoyedny Well-Known Member

In my first trimester I thought I was losing my mind. We went to the mall one day and I bought something at Macys and then had to go across the mall to return something at the GAP. I didn't realize until I got to the counter at the GAP that I didn't have the bag. I left it at Macys. Another day I put a baked ziti in the oven and never realized the oven wasn't on until the timer went off 30 mins later. Recently, I have been putting all sorts of things in the fridge that don't belong there. A few days ago it was the english muffins and last night it was the Chips Ahoy. I thought it was my DH at first and I was so confused as to why he was putting these things in the fridge. Then i realized that it was only things I had used that ended up in the fridge. I do not remember doing that at all!

6. Kimani

Kimani Well-Known Member

Haha good thread!
    Its nice knowing I'm not the only one. This happened with my son while I was at school. I'd go into the wrong classrooms all the time.

Now I have speech problems, no comunication problems in general. When talking I slur words and mix up sentences or loose thoughts. My dh thinks its funny and copies me cause I used to make fun of him too.
    I'm also on another online forum with all my friends and dhs from my hometown. Typing there has become a challenge, I mispell things or as I'm typing I'll say it out loud and talk faster than I type and miss every other word in my sentances. Its funny because I'm such a "spelling nazi" as my friends say and now they point these things out to me. It drives me crazy when I go back and see all kinds of errors!
    We call it placenta brain.

Thank god I don't really leave or lose things because my dh has become so bad at this lately so I have to remember where the keys, phone, wallet , credit cards, ect are.

I did put the remote in the fridge for a week though. o_O

7. clb8899

clb8899 Well-Known Member

I don't remember any specific stories from pregnancy, but I wanted to give you a warning. I thought it would get better after the babies were born, but I'm still waiting. The girls are over 3 months old & I still have trouble remembering things!!

8. muscaria10

muscaria10 Well-Known Member

I sure do!!

I asked my best friend where she held her wedding banquet at, and if I attended it!! I was her bridesmaid!!!! Now, that's what you call brainless question!! She got so upset with me!!