Pregnancy Weight Gain and Weight at Birth

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jennaenglish, Oct 22, 2009.

1. jennaenglish

jennaenglish Active Member

I was just curious how much weight you gained total and also what the birthweight of your twins was? I was wondering if there was a direct connection. Having small babies has been a worry of mine as I only weighed 124 when I got pregnant (I am 5'8"). I am 29+4 weeks now and have gained 30 lbs so far.

My son was born at 38.5 weeks and weighed 7lbs 2 oz. Oh and I gained 35 lbs with him.

Educate me, ladies! :crazy:

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

LOL as far as I know I don't think there is any connection. I gained 35lbs and delivered at 34wks...there weights are listed in my siggy:)

3. IVF TWINS

IVF TWINS Well-Known Member

I gained 3lbs with my singleton (was very overweight to start) and she was a perfect 50th %tile for every u/s and has been ever since. She was 5lbs 10oz at 35w 5d. She is now a 27lbs 26.5 month old (57th %tile). The twins where 2lbs 13oz and 3lbs 2oz at my u/s on Mon. which puts them at the 47th %tile and I've only gained 10lbs @ 30 weeks. So I really don't think there is much of a link between gain and birth weight unless you a very very underweight.

4. Zevy

Zevy Active Member

If you look at the research, there is a correlation between weight gain in the second trimester and fetal weight gain/fetal health for multiple pregnancy. But that is also controlling for maternal weight: obviously if you are overweight you can gain less and if you are underweight you should gain more.

But no set numbers...its all correlational.

5. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I weighed 120 lbs. pre-preg and am 5'6". Here's my birthweight/gestation history:

DD - 38+1 - 7 lbs. 4 oz. - I gained 24 lbs,
    DS - 38+6 - 6 lbs. 14 oz. - I gained 27 lbs.
    ID boys - 38+5 - 5 lbs. & 6 lbs. 11oz. - I gained 55 lbs.

I ate way more and exercised way less with my twins, per my OB's advice (I am a runner and logged nearly 800 miles while pg with DD - my OB told me to cut that out).

6. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I gained less (though was a heavier starting weight) with each successive pregnancy. But my babies got heavier. 1--gained about 35lbs, baby was 7#4, 2--gained 25lbs, baby was 7#14, 3--gained 15 lbs, baby was 8#1, 4&5--gained 25 lbs (then packed on 20lbs of water in the last week), babies were 7#9 & 5#3, 6--gained 15 lbs, baby was 8#8

7. Aimless

Aimless Member

I gained 16 pounds, I delivered at 38w1d, and the boys were 6 lb 10 oz, and 6 lb 12 oz.

8. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

DS 1 - gained 40lbs, delivered at 38w 2d, he weighed 7lbs 1oz

DS2 and DS 3 - gained 50lbs, delivered at 35w 1d, Baby A weighed 5lbs 7oz, Baby B weighed 5lbs 11oz

9. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I gained about 70lbs and my girls were 2lbs 10oz and 3lbs 1oz.

10. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I was similar to you... 5'8" and I gained about 1 pound a week - 20 pounds by 20 wks etc. I ended up with 52 pounds at 39 wks and they were born at 5'12oz and 6'1oz.. Mine are still pretty small. Sounds like you are doing a great job at 30 pounds for 30 wks!

11. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Im 5'2" and 105 pre-pregnancy.

I gained 45 pounds with the twins and had them at 37weeks exactly. They were 5#4oz & 4#13oz. Small but healthy 37 weekers with no nicu. I'd lost 30 pounds by my 6 week check up.
    Im having a singleton this time, Im currently 35 weeks pregnant and have gained 30 pounds. At my last ultrasound the baby was measuring in the 90th percentile!

I have not figured out the rhyme or reason to weight gain = birht weight yet...

12. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I gained 50lbs and baby A was 7lbs 14oz and baby b was 6lbs 4oz. :good: I don't think there is any correlation.

13. jennaenglish

jennaenglish Active Member

Well, my goal is 50 lbs. I think I will get there. :) Heck, I'm only 4 lbs away from weighing as much as my husband as of last night! WOO HOO! :rotflmbo:

14. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

I gained 35 and carried to 36 weeks and 4 days. My girls weighed 5 lbs 7 oz and 6 lbs even. I lost 30 by my 4 week appointment.

My BMI was 21 when I got pregnant :)

15. mholmes07

mholmes07 Well-Known Member

I gained 28 lbs total with the twins. I delivered at 37 weeks. They weighed 5lbs 7oz & 6lb 2oz. With our first son, I gained 27 lbs total and he weighed 8lbs 2oz. My friend gained 50lbs and her daughter weighed less then 7lbs. My sister gained 65lbs and my nephew weighed 7lb 5oz, so I do not think theres a connection...and I lost it all by my 2nd week post-op check up.