Preparations for a VBAC

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by FGMH, Jan 28, 2014.

1. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I am 24 weeks now and have been thinking about what I would like for the birth of our singleton. I would love to have a VBAC and as natural a birth as possible and I am looking for recommendations for some reading before I talk to my doctor and the hospital about birth plans. Nobody has suggested that I would need a repeat c-section so far but I would like to go into that conversation well prepared. This hope for a VBAC will probably also influence the decision in which hospital I will be giving birth.

Some background: I had a good (although long) labour and birth experience with the twins but ended up with a C-Section. Although I was fully dilated baby b was showing distress as my contractions got really hard and long and we all (DH and I, doctors and midwives) decided that we did not want any risk not knowing how long the pushing stage would be and knowing baby b would have to "bear" it longer. We feel we were right to decide this way - baby b did need some help after birth but she was ok by the time I was out of the OR.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This is a good resource: http://vbacfacts.com/13-myths-about-vbac/

Also PubMed or The Cochrane Library for research. Only abstracts are available to the public but it's still useful info. :)

Birthing From Within by Pam England is a great book for preparing emotionally and mentally for birth regardless of birth method.

And of course, hiring a doula's always a good idea if you are so inclined. ;)

3. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this! I'm planning a VBAC as well. My doctor thinks I'm a great candidate for it and is very supportive.

I'm getting nervous just because I'm not sure what to expect though.

4. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Rachel's link is a fantastic resource and is very inclusive.  I had 2 VBACs with a laproscopic tubal after the second one.  I would be happy to share my experience (good and bad) with you if you need some "been there/done that" information!

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I really loved having my VBAC.  The link is great!  Go into it hoping for a VBAC but being ok if it doesn't work out.  I hope it does!

6. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I'd gladly welcome any and all stories from y'all that have BTDT. 
    And, yes, Jackie, that's how I look at- I'm hoping for a VBAC but okay if it doesn't work out that way. 

1 person likes this.
  7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Yes, even pushing out a 10 lb baby was good.  My C-section with the twins was good too... just not what I wanted.  Just get a doctor who supports you.

8. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Rachel, thank you - the link is a great resource and I feel much better prepared to discuss my options with my doctor now.

Gina and Jackie, yes I agree - I had the same attitude with the twins: a natural birth is what we are hoping for but we are ok with a c-section too.

9. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Update: I had a really good discussion with my doctor last week and he was very supportive of my wish to have a VBAC. Actually, he seemed to think it was a no-brainer that I was going to try for a natural birth.
    He also suggested a supportive hospital which also happens to be close by and has a good reputation of supporting breastfeeding. The choice of the hospital is important to me because here in Germany you will be dealing with the midwives and doctors on call at your hospital rather than your own care providers. In some hospitals you can have your own midwife come in with you, but it is rare.