Preparing for help after births

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Thatmomwith6kids, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Thatmomwith6kids

Thatmomwith6kids New Member

Does anyone have any helpful tips for organizing help after babies arrive? I've had a lot of people tell me that they want to help, and I'm trying to figure out how to best utilize their time. I know that if I don't have a plan, I'll spend their 'help' time chatting. Neither productive for me nor them. Would it be completely nerdy to have the interested people fill out a little survey of sorts, asking what they'd PREFER to do? Maybe they'd rather make a meal than do light housekeeping? Maybe they'd prefer folding clean laundry to running little errands? What're your thoughts?

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you can, hire a postpartum doula and leave the delegating to them! :)

I also found it helpful to keep a running list of tasks that needed to be done so whenever anyone asked what they could help with, I'd just hand over the list and let them pick.

3. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I like the list idea. Maybe you could get a small whiteboard and keep a running list on that.

And I think being very specific is helpful too. Instead of just laundry, say "I need xyz washed and dried."

And don't forget about pets if you have them. When our youngest was born our dog was in the middle of rehabbing from ACL surgery. So I had a family member completely in charge of taking her to 2 vet appts. It was so helpful! Also, you might need a pet sitter or boarding option for when you'll be in the hospital.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think a running list of tasks is a good idea...you know (and remember) what you need done and they can choose what to do.