Preschool? Poll

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Trish_e, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

I got into a debate with a friend of mine about preschool. She thinks every child should go no matter if theres a SAHM or not. I believe that its necessary for every child and every family. I'm one of the lucky parents who get to say home and look forward to teaching them instead of sending them to preschool. This whole conversation has got me thinking and was wondering what other parents think.

2. rens

rens Well-Known Member

I am a full time SAHM but am sending the girls to Pre-school this coming fall. It is only a couple of hours on T and Th. They do know quite a bit already and will 3 in April. They know most of their colors and the Alphabet all the way through... but one is very very shy and the other pretty out going so doing it for both to get more interaction with kids their age and also to give them more time out without me. Debated but decided it was a good fit for all three of us. Shall see...

-Kristi

3. Ellensgirls

Ellensgirls Well-Known Member

We currently can't afford to send them, but are planning on it sometime when they are 3 even if they don't go everyday.

I think preschool is very important for the socialization. Some kids need to learn their numbers, colors, shapes..., so preschool is great for that. Other kids will come to kinder with a huge amount of knowledge (reading, math...), but very little understanding of how to sit still, work nicely with others, join in circle time, and finish a task in a reasonable amount of time. With the amount of info that little kids need to know in K now, they also need to be fairly independent and able to tie their own shoes, button their jackets, open their food at snack... Lots of these little things are covered in preschool and will help them later in their schooling. Honestly the biggest part of preschool is the peer relations.

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I think most people have the impression that preschool is about academics--the truth is, a good preschool is about everything but. Yes my children have learned academics in preschool, but that is not the main focus. The main focus is what Ellen said, it is about learning independence, cooperation, taking turns, sharing, paying attention to someone who is not mom/dad, imaginary play, etc. And if your preschool is pushing academics and worksheets, then maybe you need to look around.

I am a SAHM, and a certified teacher, and both my boys will have attended 2 years of preschool before starting K.

5. mom of one plus two

mom of one plus two Well-Known Member

Yes, I am sending them. I feel it is important for them to learn how to learn from other people, learn how to act in a social setting and to learn to be away from mommy.

Sherry

6. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Like the others have said, I sent K&K not because I don't look forward to teaching them but because I wanted them to learn to take instruction from someone besides myself, interact with their peers and learn to be away from me. I have never been a SAHM but they did come to work with me and were with me all day (which didn't allow for any playgroups or anything). I felt preshool was important because of the schedule (only a couple days a week for a few hours) as opposed to them being sent right into K which for us could be full day 5 days a week. I think the slow transition will help them, the first year of preschool they went 3 days, the second year 4 days and now Kindergarten will be 5 days.

7. micheleinohio

micheleinohio Well-Known Member

I also believe that preschool is more about independence and learning to follow social and classroom rules than about academics. My sister is a pre-school teacher and spends lots of time teaching my kids, my mom is also home all day with them. They know plenty, I am sending them to gain self confidence being away from family.

I guess some kids may not need this, I never went to pre-school and was a "ham" and a pleaser so I fit right in. My sister on the other hand had such anxiety being away from my mom for the first time that she threw up every day which certainly affected what she was learning in school. After seeing my sister go through this I was determined to help my boys gain confidence in a classroom setting and for me that means sending them to preschool.

8. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I definitely believe in sending them to preschool, more for social skills, school readiness and independence than for academics. Mine currently go 1 morning per week for 3 hours and will go 2 mornings per week next year. Mine won't go to kindergarten until they are almost 6, so I think preschool is important for them. I also really like the little break I get every week [​IMG]

9. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

We're planning on sending them in September, a couple mornings a week. For all of the reasons stated -- social skills.

10. 3sweetps

3sweetps Well-Known Member

In FL it is a requirement to go to pre-K and the state pays for that year before kindergarten. I think it's very important.

11. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your insight and opinions. I know if I put them in preschool it won't be until their 4 yrs old, and it'll only be half days. Thankfully I have a couple yrs before I have to make a decision. I'm such a planner its ridiculous [​IMG]. Thank you all, I will definitly take your opinions into consideration when I make my decision.

Leila - WOW! I wish our state payed for preschool. Its expencive here, $30 a day x 2.

12. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

I'm a SAHM currently and we're sending the boys to 3yr old preschool this fall (2 days/week for 2.5hrs) We have visited the school for a day and the boys are very excited to go. They are ready for it. I'm with others....the most important element I hope for them to extract are the social skills. While they interact with many other children (via playgroups, group classes) they have never been without me.

Every situation is different. Whatever works for you and your family is the best decision. Home schooling works for some families preschool to grade 12. My DH and I feel that are children would benefit the most from going to school outside the home....just our preference.

13. Jill R.

Jill R. Well-Known Member

I'm in MI too, and you should call around to find out where Head Start is. It's state run, and it's totally free, even the food. Ally goes M-F, 8-3, but they have 1/2 day programs too. One of my friends sends her son to MSRP, Michigan School Readiness Program. I don't know any specifics about that program, but it's something else for you to look into.

14. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

Yes, mine will be going to preschool this September. I'm fortunate enough to live in a town that provides a year of preschool for free. Mine missed the cutoff (in NJ Oct 1) do they'll be just shy of 4 yr 10 months when they start. The program is 5 days a week but half days. They are really looking forward to it.

15. Whoa Mama

Whoa Mama Well-Known Member

My son went to preschool last year at age 3 and this year at age 4 and he completely thrives there! It's only 2 days per week, 2 hours last year and 3 hours this year. I'm a SAHM but I feel it's important that he learns how to be in a class and to listen to and follow the instructions of a teacher, etc. His class has 13 kids and 2 teachers.

He starts Kindergarten in the fall (M-F 3 hours per day) and he's sooooo excited! I'm a little sad that my baby is starting Kindergarden though [​IMG]

16. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I'm a current SAHM who is going to go back to work part time but family will be keeping them. I do think when they get up to preschool age they need to go for the social experience not the teaching, I can teach them at home but I can't show them how to socialize with only them there.

They were around their older cousin, Jordyn, the past 2 days and at first all they wanted to do was kiss her [​IMG] though today Jessy bit her but she was being mean to the girls. They interact pretty good luckily they have 6 cousins who are withing 3 years of their age.

17. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

haven't decided.

I want to send them to the one I sent my first two to but can't afford it. It is spanish immersion, something I can't teach them at home.

18. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am a SAHM and a former teacher (for 10 years) and I plan to my twins in preschool when they are 3, well they will be 3.5 by the time it starts. I put my older DD in it too and it was wonderful. Like PP said it is not very academic, but it is so nice for the social aspect. It was nice for her to be able to socialize with other kids her age in a classroom setting where she had to follow the classroom rules and schedule, and follow directions from someone else besides me. I think that alone really helped prepare her for kindergarten. Everything academically she knew before entering kindergarten this year she learned at home. I didn't expect preschool to teach her that but to just be a learning enviornment socially for her, which it did. And that is why I will put my twins in it too, that is something I can not teach them.

19. **Sandy**

**Sandy** Well-Known Member

Our girls go to preschool and it has been great for them. They have learned a few things like colors and shapes, but they probably would have learned them around the same time anyway. The biggest thing for us has been the increased independence and their social skills have greatly increased. Before starting preschool in January, they had never been away from DH or I except for 4 hours with my mom when I had surgery. It was a little difficult for them at first, but they really love school now. They missed a week because they were sick and Grace kept asking to go to school. They also play with other kids much better now. They seemed to be afraid of all the kids in my family whenever we had family get-togethers, but now they join right in.

20. sharon_with_j_and_n

sharon_with_j_and_n Well-Known Member

I will be sending my girls to preschool because in Ontario, Canada it is "built in" to the school system. They start Junior Kindergarten at age 4 and go 2 days per week. You can opt out of this but few people do. I am not sending them to preschool prior to this time. I am not a SAHM, but the girls are cared for in our home by DH's and my parents (alternating days). They go to organized activities like the library, swim classes and tumblebugs and I think that will be more than enough preparation for them to start JK in the fall.

[​IMG]

21. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I am not a SAHM, but I do work FT from home and have a nanny here who watches the girls. So I want to send them to preschool for the social interaction more than anything else. In the end, it will cost me more money monthly to pay for pre-school and a part-time nanny, but I think it will be worth it.

22. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

As other have said, I believe preschool is very important. Not fort he academics but for the socialization and "real life" skills they will need to make it in today's society.

We started going to a Parent and Me class 1 time per week when the kids were 18 months and I am amazed at how my 2-year-olds interact and converse with others and how they try to solve issues themselves now.

23. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

I'm a SAHM and I sent all my boys to part time preschool starting at age 3. They knew their letters, letter sounds, numbers, colors, etc., already, but it was important, IMO, for them to learn to listen to teachers, follow directions, share, behave in a group setting, and be away from me for a while. Kindergarten will be a rude enough awakening for them. I can't imagine how awful the transition would be if they hadn't been to preschool.

24. chattwins

chattwins Well-Known Member

WOW, I knew a lot of people send their kids to preschool, but I was really surprised that when I took the poll it was 81-7!

I am not sending my kids to preschool. They get plenty of chances to learn how to get along with others. They have brothers and sisters, cousins and friends they interact with all the time.

They are in Sunday School every Sunday and have the opportunity to learn to sit still, listen, follow directions and obey their teachers. We go to story time at the library fairly often and they have another chance to learn some of these skills.

Anything they don't learn they will in kindergarten. Five years old is plenty young enough. My oldest is in kindergarten this year and hasn't had any trouble.

I only have four or five short years with my kids at home. I am not anxious to cut that short. Kindergarten will come soon enough and I will send them off to school begrudgingly.

As a former third grade teacher I can tell you that I saw no advantage in the kids in my class who had been in preschool over those who had not. There may be some temporary differences observed in kindergarten, but I would have a hard time being convinced there are any long term differences.

That said, I also believe that in every family things are different. Different kids, different parents, different situations. What is right for me in this regard isn't right for another family.

Some things are black and white - clearly wrong or right when it comes to raising kids, but this is one area that isn't.

25. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I was a SAHM till the girls were 18 months old. I sent them to preschool at 2 and they still go. It is a 2 hour program twice a week. Even if I was a SAHM I was still going to send them to socialize with other little ones. It has been the best thing we have done for them.

26. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

yup the boys will go at 3.5. Dd went at 2.5. Ditto all its for the socialization, independence etc. I think ALL kids should attend atleast one year pre K, preschool whatever you want to call it. VT is trying to get on the band wagon and have it free like FL and other states. That is how important it is!

[​IMG] Kids matriculate to K much easier with atleast one year of preK.

27. valentinetwins

valentinetwins Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by chattwins:

I am not sending my kids to preschool. They get plenty of chances to learn how to get along with others. They have brothers and sisters, cousins and friends they interact with all the time.

Anything they don't learn they will in kindergarten. Five years old is plenty young enough. My oldest is in kindergarten this year and hasn't had any trouble.

I only have four five short years with my kids at home. I am not anxious to cut that short. Kindergarten will come soon enough and I will send them off to school begrudgingly.

My thoughts exactly!!! [​IMG]

My kids get plenty of social interaction without having to go to pre-school. They are taught by me to sit quietly, follow directions, and whenever we go anywhere church, friends or families homes I 'm always getting comments on how well behaved they are. They know their ABC's, 123's, colors, shapes, and we are now working on letter sounds and putting them together to read a word. They listen to me, as well as any other adult that is in charge.

There have been studies done here in California that showed that kids who went to pre-school had no lasting advantage past kindergarten readiness than those who did not go. All children studied were caught up at the same level when they entered 1rst grade.

All that said I know it is a personal choice for each family and what is right for one is not right for another. Whatever you decide to do I'm sure is going to be what is best for you and your kids. You sound like a great mom.

28. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

But is preschool about US or them? Wouldnt you want to do whatever you can as a parent to ease them into school the best? I think sometimes we forget to think of what THEY might want/need rather and OUR wants/need. [​IMG]

29. chattwins

chattwins Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by 1girltwinboyz:
    But is preschool about US or them? Wouldnt you want to do whatever you can as a parent to ease them into school the best? I think sometimes we forget to think of what THEY might want/need rather and OUR wants/need. [​IMG]

I'm guessing you were referring to my comment about me only having them at home for four or five years.

I want to be careful how I respond because I don't want this to become inflammatory as these topics can often become because people have such strong feelings about them.

As I said before, this is something that should be decided on a family by family basis and there is no clear right or wrong.

That said...

I could ask the same question...

Is preschool about US or THEM? I have seen people choose to send their kids to preschool for selfish reasons and I have seen them keep kids at home for selfish reasons.

In our case, we feel like we know what our children need and we feel like we can supply that for them. We are not ready to "turn them over" to some one else when they are so young. These are very impressionable and important years in their developement. If they are home we know they are safe and loved and we am in control of the training they are receiving. We take our responsibilty as a parents very seriously. (not to say that parents who send their kids to preschool don't)

Our kindergartener is a star student who hasn't had any trouble adjusting or easing into school. We did everything we could to make that transition easy and healthy for her, thankfully we succeeded. I don't think preschool is the only way for that to occur.

My kids will be in school for 13+ years of their life. I don't relish beginning that any sooner than is necessary. I think it is healthy and good for them to be home in a safe, loving environment where they are getting plenty of "training" academic and social.

Of course I am a parent who could easily be convinced to homeschool well into elementary school too. If we hadn't had a great choice in school for my oldest and if I felt like I could have done her justice as her teacher, I would have kept her at home even for kindergarten.

But because we am making choices based on what is best for our children, we chose to send her to school because knowing my personality and my limitations I am not a mother who can juggle four younger children while homeschooling my oldest although I know there are many parents who can and do.

30. stinabina

stinabina Well-Known Member

My DD went to preschool and if she hadn't we probably wouldn't have caught her developmental delay and AS as quickly and she would have suffered because of it. Also, I believe the kids need that social stimualation AND mommy needs a break, hi oh the dairy-o mommy needs a break...

31. greatexpectations

greatexpectations Well-Known Member

I haven't read all of the responses here ... I have been co-teaching preschool once a week with a friend with twins. We take turns "teaching" and this activity once a week helps our girls learn to sit in a circle and listen. Well, we hope. My girls are still young and hers are only turning 2 this week. Still, it's a great way to feel in control of the situation while still teaching them the socialization skills needed for school.

Her girls will start real preschool next fall, though, so I hope to pick this back up with another mom of twins closer in age to mine.

With that, I'm sure that when the time grows closer, like when they are 3 or 4, we'll put them in preschool two times a week to start. Unless we're advised otherwise, I feel that 2 is way too early to start preschool. I think I was 4 years old when I went through it.

32. valentinetwins

valentinetwins Well-Known Member

How is it doing what is best for US instead of them by choosing to teach them ourselves for a couple more years. I was not sent to preschool and neither were my 4 other siblings and we are just fine. I can understand the need to prepare them for the transition to kindergarten if you are going to put them in an all day Kindergarten versus 1/2 day. My cousin teaches Kindergarten and she says that at age 5 the separation anxiety kids go through is almost non existant when compared to the kids who are 3-4 in preschool. She also tells me that she can tell which kids went to preschool and which kids did not by how they behave in the classroom. I don't want to turn this into a heated discussion about who is right and who is wrong etc....I just thought I'd give my humble OPINION on the topic. I believe we are all doing what we think is best for our children.

33. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

undecided but leaning strongly toward keeping them at home another year. I have a teaching degree and I have great community programs - free- that I can take the girls to... these programs resemble a preschool environment. the programs provide take-home ideas as well, so I feel I can provide an order to their learning.