Preschool, Pre-K, K graduation gifts

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MichelleL, May 26, 2011.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I LOVE the teachers at the school where my girls are. I'm so comfortable dropping them off there and think they do an amazing job.

BUT...I am super duper bummed that the school did no special events this year, aside from Valentine's. Nothing for Halloween, "winter" holidays, St. Pat's Day...blah blah blah. And it's in a church. Okay, whatever.

My husband, who is much less of a holiday person than myself, is very annoyed that they do nothing for them for the end of the year. No moving up ceremony, graduation, nothing. :( So he wants to have a party for them and get them a present. Who am I to say no? :D I know a Preschool/Pre-K graduation isn't as big a deal as K, but DH is insisting.

The girls just agreed to give away a few boxes of their younger toys. I was SO proud of them for agreeing to let go. So I was thinking a new more age-appropriate toy would be a great idea right now.

Did you get your kids anything? If you did, what did you get?

2. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

WOW!! Our school is as non denominational as they come (they don't allow holiday parties or halloween costumes etc.) but even they are having a graduation party!

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

There are no graduation parties for the younger kids here either. All my girls got was a cap and got to walk around the hallways while the kids and teachers cheered and clapped for them (which they thought was great). I am making them little graduation cap cakes as a treat, but no gifts.

4. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:( I don't get how they don't celebrate ANYTHING! :gah: Parties are so much fun for these little people!

You know, until I read this I didn't even think of getting them anything. :pardon: So now I have until 12 pm tomorrow to think of something... couldn't you bring this up last week? :slap: :p

5. MichelleL

Exactly. :grr: It really breaks my heart because we all know how I feel about holidays and celebrations. :(

MUCH more than my girls get!! I think we get to join them the last day or something. :pardon:
    Love the cupcake idea!

I know. :cry:

Ummmm...you can blame Anthony. :lol: He's the one that just brought it up. We still have 2 weeks to go. :D

6. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Our church based (non-denominational) PreK does do a graduation (going on to K so 4/5s), our preschool (age 3/4) does not.

Both classes have a last day picnic--- kids sing a few simple songs, make a craft, eat a popsicle, and take pics with friends. It fun and low key.

The PreK class does do a ceremony with songs, a slideshow, and a presentation of PreK completion. It was cute and fairly short- no cap and gowns, but lots of cookies afterward!

If I were you, I would make a note on a year end evaluation about changes you would like. I know we do read them (I teach 3s) at our preschool and we try to consider reasonable ideas/changes.

We do not have many parties....a Christmas concert, Open House, and small birthday celebrations. No Halloween (church does not do Halloween), No Valentines Day, No Spring (it is more Easter religious focus).

No, I did not give my girls anything except a hug and a high-five. They did dress up fancy and loved it! But are fairly low key (no space apartment) types, so that probably plays into it.

If you were to get something, maybe a special dinner, a visit to a special place (zoo, science center, ladies day?) or a small K prep-thing like personalized pencils/notebooks/folders/backpacks,etc----unless they have something in mind that is bigger (easel?dollhouse?scooters?)

What fun!

Our last day was today-- wow, I am envious you have 2 more weeks! I wish we had a longer school year (both for my own kids and for my classroom!)

7. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Our previous daycare/preschool did a graduation for the kids entering Kindergarten. They got a cap and gown and had a special ceremony, they sang a few songs and got their names read to get their "diploma". It was really cute. We didn't give them anything for the graduation, but we did out for a special ice cream treat afterward.

8. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Marcus' preschool had an end of year program, but no graduation. They have a number of 4 year olds who continue into their 4+ program, many because they just miss the cut off, and a few due to redshirting, so they don't want it to be a graduation that would be confusing for those kids.

Jonathan's school does do a Pre-K program which ends with a graduation for the kids going onto K. Since they are mixed ages, no one feels left out if they aren't graduating.

9. MichelleL

GREAT ideas!! Thank you!! :Clap: I didn't even think about getting them something to prep for K. Love it!

I imagine we probably start a lot later than you though...?? We don't start until the week before Labor Day and we get 2 weeks of vaca...one in Feb and one in April. 6/10 is last day of preschool but I know public around here is going until June 20something.

10. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Here in Mexico they have total over the top K graduation ceremonies. PreK and K is a separate school, primary starting in grade 1. There was an elaborate dinner-dance and the kids all had matching formal dresses and suits. It was a private K and most parents gave their kids expensive gifts too--we gave them each an age appropriate encyclopedia type book. They really liked it and I think since it was an academic related celebration it called for an academic related gift.

11. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Ditto (and I thought our preschool was the only one that didn't do holidays!). But they do have a pre-K graduation ceremony. It is all very age-appropriate and mellow (I don't think they even do caps & gowns) but the kids will sing a few songs and everybody will cry, and then we eat cupcakes. :ibiggrin:

I like the idea of getting them a new toy or something to replace the ones they gave away. I wish my kids would do that!

12. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

No, we start last week of Aug too. We did not get a week in Feb--- but had two in Dec and one week in March. Public here got out today and starts mid Aug (preK starts a week later).

We are doing ''Count down to Kindergarten"-- the week before K (my girls will start late July due to attending an alternative calendar school) we will do a K prep gift each morning that week. I already have them! A lunch tote, a backpack, pencils, new outfit, fun erasers, new socks (my kids love socks!), a new water bottle (they get to take to school), new pillow and blanket (for rest time), and a stack of new books!

So - I guess that is our graduation gift, we are just doing it late.lol. I was worried they would loose all the stuff or 'use' it before school started!

* with donating stuff---- we drop of a bag (s) of stuff and Goodwill and then they get to go in and get *1* thing (new to them). I figure one small item is worth tossing a bag full--- plus at Goodwill it is cheap!

13. MichelleL

LOVE this idea!! :wub: I might just be stealing it. :lol:

Sooooo...I specifically asked the director if there was anything special going on the last day of school. She said "well, you get to come and join us at 10 to share their last day with them", making it sound like there was nothing special. I asked if there was any sort of graduation/celebration and she said no. Whoop dee doo. :blush: This was a couple of weeks ago.

Today I pick them up and there's a big letter to the parents explaining that on the last day we're invited to a program where they will sing songs and those graduating will receive a diploma and they will all receive their "portfolios" (not a clue what that is), and after all that we'll have a celebration. :woah: I was in SHOCK. I mean, after all, the director is the one that told me nothing was really happening. I was so super excited to read this!! :Clap: So I wonder if DH will still want a party. :lol:

14. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

We dont buy the kids anything but we do allow them to pick a restaurant to celebrate their special. They REALLY enjoy going out to dinner so this is alot of fun for them!

15. MichelleL

Oh! That's a good idea too! Why haven't I thought of any of this simple stuff? :pardon: I'm usually better at it. :lol: