Preschool Shock!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dfaut, Jan 25, 2008.

1. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

So, I have begun the search for a preschool!! EEEEEK and OY!

Yesterday, I went to the frou frou preschool (Creme de la Creme -the name gives away the prices!)
    It was REALLY COOL!! Tons of great bells and whistles and super cutely done. Like a little city and really clean and bright and well structured. Awesome curriculum etc. etc. The facility is fantastic and large and just a cool place.

BUT, I DID NOT FALL IN LOVE WITH IT! (IMAGINE my shock!)

It's (wait for it.....) $462 PER child, PER month!!! FOR 2 - half days a week!!! :rotflmbo:

The KICKER - The kids MUST wear THEIR uniform and buy it FROM THEM! No, their shirt cannot be paired with ANY pair of pants, has to be THEIR pants, shorts, skirts, dresses, t-shirts etc. and Backpacks!! (They can use their own outer wear!) I was UNBELIEVABLY turned off by this! I'm sorry, but 3 yr. olds don't need a dress code. :nea:

There is a church preschool that Becky444's son goes to and she attends church at that she raves about. I am looking at that next week and it's $140/mo. for 2 half days. I like that it comes recommended from a friend (former preschool teacher)!! We'll see if I can get in!! (Starting to consider full days).

I had to share with you guys since a lot of us are in the preschool trenches!

2. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

I hear ya, Diane!

I had preschool sticker shock last week. :icon_eek:

I can't believe the price of some schools. Some average out to a monthly car payment.

I'm looking at another school next week.

PS. Embarassing story: I didn't realize that I had a hole in my sweater when we went to check out a school last week. DH noticed it when he got home later that day. Jeez, you'd think the Director would have given me a discount. My clothes were a mess. You'd think she would have given a charity case like me a discount! :lol:

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:crazy: That is just insane!! Ours is $135 per child per month.

4. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

OMG!! Our preschool gave out bags, but they are little nylon bags, nothing special. Uniforms, get real!!
    We go to a little rinky-dink preschool and like it just fine.

5. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

QUOTE(Juj @ Jan 25 2008, 03:03 PM) [snapback]589860[/snapback]
    I hear ya, Diane!

I had preschool sticker shock last week. :icon_eek:

I can't believe the price of some schools. Some average out to a monthly car payment.

I'm looking at another school next week.

PS. Embarassing story: I didn't realize that I had a hole in my sweater when we went to check out a school last week. DH noticed it when he got home later that day. Jeez, you'd think the Director would have given me a discount. My clothes were a mess. You'd think she would have given a charity case like me a discount! :lol:

That's too funny!!! :laughing:

6. Saiynee

Saiynee Well-Known Member

Geez, that' nuts! Uniforms in pre-school?? Our pre-school is $155 a month per child with a 10% discount, 2 half days a week.

7. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

Yikes. That's a bit much (both price and uniforms).

Thanks for the reminder, though. I need to get going on our search for the fall and it's pretty competitive around here so I'm actually expecting everyone to laugh in my face and tell me to get on the waiting list for the 3-4 class.

8. Safari

Safari Well-Known Member

We live in SF bay area calif. We've been searching for a 3 day per week program. Prices range from approx $600-1200 per month for one child. Most calculate out to atleast $60 per day ~ which is the avg cost of daycare around here too. So that makes sense. But some of them are just plain insane. Plus we have to still pay for holidays, vacations, "teacher days", etc, etc.

Although I must admit..... this is the first time I've heard of uniforms! that's crazy!

It's crazy to think that'll we'll spend more thousands of dollars on them for 3 yrs of preschool than it cost me to go for 4 yrs to an expense private college (10 yrs ago). My tuition then was $14K per year. We'll likely be spending 18K per year on preschool.......... and that goes up about 6% per year. And that's assuming you can even get IN. the waiting lists are months, years long........

there is one even crazier more expensive preschool in our neighborhood. no wait list. You have to camp out overnight in line (like we did for concert tickets!). It's ridiculous!

9. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Safari, it's like you want to ask if they can take College Invest Funds for preschool!!!

You have it pretty bad in the Bay Area!! YIKES!!!

10. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

The KICKER - The kids MUST wear THEIR uniform and buy it FROM THEM! No, their shirt cannot be paired with ANY pair of pants, has to be THEIR pants, shorts, skirts, dresses, t-shirts etc. and Backpacks!! (They can use their own outer wear!) I was UNBELIEVABLY turned off by this! I'm sorry, but 3 yr. olds don't need a dress code.

Can they wear their own underwear!!!

11. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ Jan 25 2008, 05:01 PM) [snapback]590033[/snapback]
    Can they wear their own underwear!!!

Nicole, I KNOW!!!

What's funny is my SIL LOVES this place! It didn't bother her at all about the uniform. Funny what strikes us as too far!

12. avaoliviamom

avaoliviamom Well-Known Member

Uniforms!!!! That is crazy. My girls would never wear that!

Our preschool in the fall will be $140 each, it is a coop and I am expected to "help" out on a monthly basis like (2 times)

They go to a 2 1/2 year old program now at a local college run by nuns. That is $215 per month each, I am looking forward to the price break

13. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

Preschools in my immediate area (within a mile of my house) range from 105/mo to 285/mo for 5 hours a week (2 mornings/wk). I am going with the new program at a Catholic school my sister teaches 4th grade at. I think the boys will like going where their big cousins go. It is 120/mo per child, and that is just about gonna kill us. Honestly, I don't know where we'll find the money, let's hope the tax rebate comes through!

I can't believe some of these prices, ladies!

I will say that I would LOVE uniforms, I think it would make my life much easier. But only if they are the cheapie Target cords and polos. ;)

14. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

Oh! and not to hijack but does anyone else think it is insane that programs have $40-80 "non-refundable registration fees" per child? So that means that for them to even consider putting me on their list I get to pay $100?

Also I love that we have to think about this now...9 months beforehand. I'll pay the $100 registration fee and maybe that will be enough motivation for me to get them potty-trained by September! ;)

15. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

you know what, diane - a woman i work with lives in chicago and she sends her two girls to that school (it's a chain, right?) - anyway, she loves it but man is it intense! personally i think it's total overkill on all dimensions for little kids, but it's apparently a great education.

16. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

WOW! Ours is $95/mo per child for 2 mornings/week. The tuition is being raised for next year though. Not that much though! The only dress code requirement here is sneakers or shoes with a sole that is appropriate for playing.

17. EJ

EJ Member

dfaut, I am also in CO and am looking for church daycare/mom's day out....are you in the Denver area?

18. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

WOW - that is crazy! DD's is $100/month for 2 mornings a week. Next yr she will go 3 days a week & the cost will go up to $165/month (increase from 50/day to 55/day plus adding an extra day). Their only dress code is socks & close toed shoes - even in early fall/spring. There were more expensive programs in the area but all under $200. I think the most expensive was 165 for the 3 yr old/2 morning program.

I think it's great your kids could wear their own underwear & coats!! :lol:

19. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Diane, we have Creme de la Creme here, too -- I looked at it for my older DD, and had exactly the same reaction as you. I loved the facility, but it was all a bit too sterile, too posh....too elitist.

I am totally pro-uniform for regular school, but for preschool? :rolleyes:

I wanted the best place for my DD, and didn't mind paying for it -- but geesh, the place really turned me off. We ended up going with a local church program, and have been very happy with it...

Unfortunately DD's preschool isn't much less in terms of cost -- I think preschools in our area (northern burbs of Atlanta) are just outrageously expensive.

20. Safari

Safari Well-Known Member

Wow, I can't believe how inexpensive some of your preschools are. SF bay area is insane. The only thing that is lower cost is the coops. But we are doing a pre-preschool coop this year and it's too overwhelming for me (I have 2 chronic illnesses and i just can't handle being in a loud room w/ 20 toddlers). so we've got pay!

LOL Who knew I should be investing for PRESCHOOL and worry about college later. Basically, DH & I have decided that we won't put any $ away for their college over the next 3 yrs. Until they go to public Kindergarten. We are struggling to cut costs everywhere to be able to put them in preschool. It's crazy.

21. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

QUOTE(twindependent @ Jan 25 2008, 06:18 PM) [snapback]590165[/snapback]
    Oh! and not to hijack but does anyone else think it is insane that programs have $40-80 "non-refundable registration fees" per child? So that means that for them to even consider putting me on their list I get to pay $100?

Also I love that we have to think about this now...9 months beforehand. I'll pay the $100 registration fee and maybe that will be enough motivation for me to get them potty-trained by September! ;)

Renee! I know! Our fees are $150 for some that are NON-REFUNDABLE!!! GULP!

QUOTE(EJ @ Jan 25 2008, 10:51 PM) [snapback]590542[/snapback]
    dfaut, I am also in CO and am looking for church daycare/mom's day out....are you in the Denver area?

I am in S. Denver, Highlands Ranch - where are you?

QUOTE(Safari @ Jan 26 2008, 03:37 PM) [snapback]591023[/snapback]
    Wow, I can't believe how inexpensive some of your preschools are. SF bay area is insane. The only thing that is lower cost is the coops. But we are doing a pre-preschool coop this year and it's too overwhelming for me (I have 2 chronic illnesses and i just can't handle being in a loud room w/ 20 toddlers). so we've got pay!

LOL Who knew I should be investing for PRESCHOOL and worry about college later. Basically, DH & I have decided that we won't put any $ away for their college over the next 3 yrs. Until they go to public Kindergarten. We are struggling to cut costs everywhere to be able to put them in preschool. It's crazy.

WHO KNEW Safari! YOU NEED PRESCHOOL INVEST!!! Not funny ha ha, but funny!

22. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

You are brave to go to visit a place with a name like "Creme de la Creme". you guys are scaring me into sticking with my current routine... or maybe I should open my own "Chocolad de la Chocolad"?!?!? LOL

So 1300/year per child for 2 days (5 hrs)/week is about $145 month. 1600/child/year for 3 day week is 180, So this is average?

23. debid

debid Well-Known Member

OMG!!! We have a private school near our home and I looked up some information on their website. They put their tuition rates right there for the world to see (and I also noted that they have a dress code but they only require their special logo shirts be worn for field trips and events so you only need one per child...) Fasten your seatbelts, ladies... would you believe it's $5435 for the school year PER CHILD?! For preschool!!! And yes, they want a $50 non-refundable application fee (I presume per child there as well).

The local La Petite Academy doesn't share their tuition rates online so I'd have to actually call and ask which makes me think it's going to be high as well.

Those of you with the lower-cost preschools, are these daycare-based, church-based, or affiliated with the local elementary school?

24. Safari

Safari Well-Known Member

QUOTE(p31heather @ Jan 27 2008, 03:04 AM) [snapback]591327[/snapback]
    So 1300/year per child for 2 days (5 hrs)/week is about $145 month. 1600/child/year for 3 day week is 180, So this is average?

that sounds way below average to me....... but again I live in California where simple 3 bedroom 2 bathroom houses sell for 1 million dollars. I think it varies WIDELY depending upon where you live. And if you choose coop versus church/community versus "big name" chain versus halfday/full day versus parttime/fulltime. And don't get me started on the types: play, academic, montessori, etc, etc, etc. So many variables.

My advice, visit a few different types.... ask other local moms... really consider how far you are willing to drive... get on waiting lists early if you live in an area like mine. My kids have been on a waiting list for many months for our first choice place and that's WITH priority status since it's affiliated with my husband's company.

25. Safari

Safari Well-Known Member

QUOTE(debid @ Jan 27 2008, 04:22 AM) [snapback]591430[/snapback]
    OMG!!! We have a private school near our home and I looked up some information on their website. They put their tuition rates right there for the world to see (and I also noted that they have a dress code but they only require their special logo shirts be worn for field trips and events so you only need one per child...) Fasten your seatbelts, ladies... would you believe it's $5435 for the school year PER CHILD?! For preschool!!! And yes, they want a $50 non-refundable application fee (I presume per child there as well).

Those of you with the lower-cost preschools, are these daycare-based, church-based, or affiliated with the local elementary school?

How many days/hours per week?
    Our first choice (assuming we ever get in) will cost us about 18,000 per year for both kids. That's 3 full days per week. The avg cost around her is approx $60 per day per child for full day.

the only true lower cost preschools here are the coops, where you must spend volunteer time in the classroom, plus maintenence days, fundraising, working a "job", etc. So depending upon how much your time is worth, it's not necessarily "cheaper". Also, it's obviously not an option for most working moms.

The highest cost ones tend to be the big name places that are chains. Merry Moppet is the most expensive and most academic. Oh yeah, and they don't have a "wait list". You have to camp out overnight to get a spot! I'm so NOT doing that!

26. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

QUOTE(p31heather @ Jan 26 2008, 10:04 PM) [snapback]591327[/snapback]
    You are brave to go to visit a place with a name like "Creme de la Creme". you guys are scaring me into sticking with my current routine... or maybe I should open my own "Chocolad de la Chocolad"?!?!? LOL

Ours is $108/month per child - 4 hrs a week, it does not run in the summer, just Sept - June. Yours sounds on par with the one we go to. We don't go to a "Creme de la Creme" school, it's just a little local place that shares space with a dance studio.

27. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Well, I live in CA, and although there are lots of places that run $600/mo. for half day programs, there are also lots of other wonderful programs that cost $160/mo. There are city programs, church programs, private programs that offer a stimulating environment at 1/4 the cost.

28. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

That is really outrageous. Our daycare, which is a very nice daycare that goes from newborn through pre-K, is about $1000 a month per child for 40 hours a week. And they don't care what they wear. :icon_biggrin:

I agree, with a name like Creme de la Creme, they should be feeding them their organic free-range goldfish crackers on platinum plates.

29. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Minette @ Jan 26 2008, 09:26 PM) [snapback]591485[/snapback]
    That is really outrageous. Our daycare, which is a very nice daycare that goes from newborn through pre-K, is about $1000 a month per child for 40 hours a week. And they don't care what they wear. :icon_biggrin:

I agree, with a name like Creme de la Creme, they should be feeding them their [SIZE=18pt]organic free-range goldfish[/SIZE] crackers on platinum plates.

:rotflmbo:

30. bkimberly

bkimberly Well-Known Member

QUOTE(~* dfaut *~ @ Jan 25 2008, 04:56 PM) [snapback]589847[/snapback]
    So, I have begun the search for a preschool!! EEEEEK and OY!

Yesterday, I went to the frou frou preschool (Creme de la Creme -the name gives away the prices!)
    It was REALLY COOL!! Tons of great bells and whistles and super cutely done. Like a little city and really clean and bright and well structured. Awesome curriculum etc. etc. The facility is fantastic and large and just a cool place.

BUT, I DID NOT FALL IN LOVE WITH IT! (IMAGINE my shock!)

It's (wait for it.....) $462 PER child, PER month!!! FOR 2 - half days a week!!! :rotflmbo:

The KICKER - The kids MUST wear THEIR uniform and buy it FROM THEM! No, their shirt cannot be paired with ANY pair of pants, has to be THEIR pants, shorts, skirts, dresses, t-shirts etc. and Backpacks!! (They can use their own outer wear!) I was UNBELIEVABLY turned off by this! I'm sorry, but 3 yr. olds don't need a dress code. :nea:

There is a church preschool that Becky444's son goes to and she attends church at that she raves about. I am looking at that next week and it's $140/mo. for 2 half days. I like that it comes recommended from a friend (former preschool teacher)!! We'll see if I can get in!! (Starting to consider full days).

I had to share with you guys since a lot of us are in the preschool trenches!

HOLY CRAP! I pay $940 for both of mine to go every day, all month! No uniform required...that is just plain silly!

31. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

QUOTE(p31heather @ Jan 26 2008, 08:04 PM) [snapback]591327[/snapback]
    You are brave to go to visit a place with a name like "Creme de la Creme". you guys are scaring me into sticking with my current routine... or maybe I should open my own [SIZE=12pt]"Chocolad de la Chocolad"?!?!?[/SIZE] LOL

Heather!! That made me laugh!!! You could call it Chocolat Goldfeesh! LOL!!!

QUOTE(debid @ Jan 26 2008, 09:22 PM) [snapback]591430[/snapback]

The local La Petite Academy doesn't share their tuition rates online so I'd have to actually call and ask which makes me think it's going to be high as well.

I KNOW DEB!!! NUTTY!!! It's like you needed 'preschool invest' before College Invest!!! GULP!!!

QUOTE(Minette @ Jan 26 2008, 10:26 PM) [snapback]591485[/snapback]

I agree, with a name like Creme de la Creme, they should be feeding them their organic free-range goldfish crackers on platinum plates.

I am sure they are serving then EXACTLY that way!!! :rotflmbo:

32. EJ

EJ Member

QUOTE(~* dfaut *~ @ Jan 27 2008, 01:51 AM) [snapback]591226[/snapback]
    I am in S. Denver, Highlands Ranch - where are you?

We were in Evergreen but have recently moved to Colo Spgs to sell my mom's house...she passed away last year. I think
    I found a good Mom's Day Out at a church here-yeah