Preschooler, twins and sickness

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Chrissy2010, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Chrissy2010

Chrissy2010 Well-Known Member

UGH my son is in preschool and it seems like since he started the twins have been sick with coughs at least 3 or 4 times!! They are only 5 months today! Im not breastfeeding so that can be why?? My son had even had the pukes a couple times already too..Twis never got it thank god!! Each time I hope no one else gets it!!
    Anyone elses twins always sick because of other children in school??

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My twins were sick with the sniffles it seemed from Christmas to the end of the school year when they went to their first year of preschool. :hug: Evan was sick a lot because (I assume) of what the twins brought home from school. He was sick at 12 months, 13 months... It gets better.

3. Chrijodo

Chrijodo Well-Known Member

Look at it this way, by the time they are old enough for school they will have immune systems of steel and hardly ever get sick

4. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

My oldest, he is 3, goes to daycare once a week. My guys are ALWAYS sick. Even when I was breastfeeding, so the fact that you aren't has nothing to do with it. It's just what happens when you have an older one in school.

5. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

My twins are 4 months (2 adjusted) with an almost 3yo big sis who goes to a morning out program twice a week. They have had the snots a couple times in the past 3 months or so. Nothing too bad tho. I don't breastfeed and proudly formula feed by choice, and let me tell you, in my experience, my older DD (almost 3 who was born VERY preemie at 29 weeks thus being more at risk due to immature immune system) has been more robust and healthy than ANY breastfed baby I have known. All my girlfriends breastfeed and their babies are always sick. BAD sick, like strep throat, stomach bugs, diahrhea (spelling?), RSV, repeated ear infections. Don't get me wrong, breastfeeding is fine and great, but in my personal experience, I have not seen that they are healthier babies. So I don't believe that your babies will be more sickly because of it :pardon:

6. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah I think with having an older child in school, it's going to be hard to keep them all healthy. And I agree, I don't think breastfeeding, or lack thereof, has anything to do with it. If they are going to get sick, they are going to get sick.

I would just have him wash his hands when he comes home from school, if he doesn't already. Other than that, those twins will have quite the immune system when they are older!

7. browneyedgirl

browneyedgirl Well-Known Member

Same here. mine don't have coughs, but constant runny noses. I am breastfeeding, so I think it's just par for the course with kids in school.

8. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My son was in 3rd grade when my girls were born. We made him change his clothes as soon as he hit the door (I did as well, since I was a teacher). He washed his hands immediately and then santized them on top of that. He wasn't allowed anywhere near the girls until all this was done. They stayed relatively healthy with a few minor things until they were about 9 months, and then they got the yuk a couple of times. It's really hard no matter how many precautions you take to keep them absolutely well, because even when someone looks healthy, they could be carrying the bug. This year is the first year for my girls in preschool and we have only had a few days of complete healthy in two months...very frustrating.

9. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

That's exactly how I look at it. The only way to truely avoid it is to stay home all the time. I try not to worry too much about it. It sucks! Believe me. The only time I get scared is if the babies were to get the pukes or one of us had the flu.

10. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

Yes!!!! It has been never ending here since September.

11. ladypotter

ladypotter Well-Known Member

Same here. My girls have had a cough/runny nose for the past month. Their sister is 7 and in 2nd grade, but I think they got it while they were in daycare (I pulled them out a month ago because it was just to hard to get to and from work every day with them)...They have been at home now with my mom and mom in law switching days during the week. I am hoping they finally kick it in the next couple weeks!!