Presents question - how do you do presents for the xmas holiday?

Discussion in 'General' started by kim01, Dec 11, 2015.

1. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

So how do you do presents for the xmas holiday? being diabetic my mom was always told i would be blind by time i was 6. so she went way over board at every holiday, taking hours to open gifts type over board. i didn't go blind but they were still very causious of me not keeping my eye sight. i have continued the over board presents with all my kids. again hours to open gifts lol. my parents set a limit theres were 500 for me and my sister. for me its the same number of presents. alot harder now that we have several younger and teens. so how do you do it? only stuff on their lists? matching amount of gifts, a dollar amount?
    i'm curious to see the answers we get here.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have 5 in our immediate family. We each draw a name and whoever we get we purchase one present for, usually between $50-$100. In addition, Justin and I purchase each child an additional gift from us. The kids also usually get gifts from grandparents on both sides, and their aunts and uncles which is more than enough.

I'm actually feeling pretty overwhelmed with the amount of stuff we currently have in our house. After the holidays I'm going to have each child pick their top 5 favorite toys. Those will be the items that are staying for sure. Everything else will be up for grabs in terms of donating/tossing. I'd like to reduce the number of toys in the house by at least 3/4.

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I completely agree with this... and that is why we spend the weekend after thanksgiving going through toys, books, and clothes for donation.  I get overwhelmed with too much stuff and we are trying to live small and simply.  I feel like we went a little overboard with presents for christmas this year, but they are things that the girls will use for years... To the OP: we try to keep it similar in terms of amount spent and number of gifts...

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Ugh, we have SO much stuff already, and my kids have a birthday (Dec. 28) AND Christmas coming up.  We get them the things they really want.  They asked for a new Leapad, so we got that since it's way cheaper than a tablet.  Plus a few toys they really wanted, a movie each, a couple of books.  For birthday we got them a set of Legos and 1-2 more toys.

They get WAY too much from grandparents - my parents, DH's mom and DH's dad (they're divorced).  Plus birthday, too.  I try to encourage money for birthdays for their savings account, or gift cards we can save and use later, but the grandparents don't usually listen and just buy tons of junk that they don't want or play with.  It's so frustrating because we end up a few months later taking piles of stuff to Goodwill.  Most of the aunts and uncle try to do money or gift cards.

In my family, I have just 1 brother.  He has 3 kids, so we buy for each others' kids, but not each other.  In DH's family, every family takes a name of one kid and buys one gift of $20-$25.  That really cuts down on the billions of gifts.  For the adults, we do a white elephant exchange, which is fun.  We buy for our parents and our parents buy for us.  DH and I don't usually exchange gifts on Christmas.  We got a new HDTV in November and a BluRay player, so that was our gifts to each other.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have to second Rachel, I feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff in our house and we also donated stuff at Thanksgiving.  As for us, my kids are the only grandkids on my husband's side of the family so they are well taken care of by aunts and uncles and my mother.  We do try to keep our presents and present amounts even as well.  And we try to keep it within budget.  I'm still pretty fortunate that the kids don't ask for too many expensive things.
    Like eagleswings216, my kids birthday is also right after Christmas (12/26) so I feel like it's two holidays we have to keep in line because there is also part of me that feels like I need to make their birthday more special then Christmas because I always feel like it gets kind of overshadowed a bit.