Prevacid and sleeping issues

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by JessN, Dec 28, 2010.

1. JessN

JessN New Member

Hi,

Happy holidays!

Has anyone's little one(s) has or had sleeping issues with Prevacid? Or this a phase?

My twin B had been on Zantac since he was three weeks old until 11 months. Then the Dr switched him to Prilsolec which he hated and gave him a rash. He doing good on Prevacid however he not sleeping good. He always been hard to get to sleep but now it's getting worse! Last night he didn't go to sleep until 4 am! And he had only took 1 nap yesterday. I know he was tired but he wouldn't go to sleep.

Any advice?

Thanks.

2. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't have any advice. One of my boys has been taking Prevacid for about 3 weeks now. We were switched from Zantac, which he started taking at about 10 weeks. The Zantac just wasn't helping anymore. The Prevacid helps but hasn't completely eliminated his reflux symptoms. He isn't experiencing any sleeping issues though. Both of my boys sleep pretty well, thankfully. I hope it's a phase for your baby, and he outgrows it soon!

3. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Prevacid should not be the culprit. At this age, sounds like a behavioral phase. Babies often have issues with sleep when they are going through developmental milestones or separation anxiety. Also, the more overtired they are, the harder it is to get them to sleep. I would recommend the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It really helped me understand sleep and get my two to be good sleepers.

4. sghaley

sghaley Well-Known Member

We had the same issue. My dd started taking it when she was 3. She had always been an amazing sleeper. All of the sudden we could not get her to go to sleep. I had to stay in the room for hours to get her to sleep. It was awful. My dh did some research and I guess there's about a 1% chance that it will cause sleep disturbance. Our ped didn't think that would be teh cause, but switched us to prilosec anyway. he's great and does a great job listening to our concerns. As soon as she stopped the prevacid her sleep patterns went pretty much back to normal. Good luck! But, since it is such a rare side effect and if the prevacid is working, you could try a behavioral approach too.

Edited to add that she had been on reflux meds since she was an infant. The prevacid was just a change.