Preventing twins from waking each other at night

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jdorourk, Sep 16, 2012.

1. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

I really do not want to separate my 5 mo old twins at night. They are each in their own crib in one room. We are starting to have issues where one twin will wake up crying and if we don't respond fast enough they will wake the other up which totally stinks. Sometimes I'll have to take the crying twin outside of the room until they are calmed down then come back in. We have a white noise maker in between the cribs but wondering if anyone went so far as to put a white noise maker in each crib or something similar.

We are trying to let the twins fuss/cry a little bit more at night before we respond but we are constantly having a balancing act between letting one fuss too long vs. waking the other up.

2. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

I don't have lots of advice, mine would sleep through the other one crying in the night ( and still do!), so I always did my best to get one quickly, but even when we did a modified CIO to go to sleep ( I never did it it the middle of the night, just not my way to parent) one would go to sleep while the other was crying.

Sorry!

3. KLNecaise

KLNecaise Member

I wish I had any advice but I am in the exact same boat as you! My boys are each in their own crib but sharing a room. I have a humidifier going all night for noise and bc it is so dang dry in west Texas. That used to be all the noise they needed to not wake each other up but about a month ago they started waking each other every night. I also do not want to separate them. I definitely need a new approach though, it is way too difficult getting both boys back to sleep in the middle of the night by myself! If you get any good advice or find anything that works for you, please let me know!

4. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

Well we ended up having to separate the twins at bedtime past three nights. DD has been waking crying hard 1-2 hrs after bedtime and has to be rocked back to sleep and has been waking DS regularly, so we put him in the pack in play in the guest room. After the first night feeding around 2 AM I brought DS back to the nursery. Luckily we have a video monitor with two cameras so we can watch both babies on one monitor.