probiotic drops

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by AKilburn, Dec 12, 2012.

1. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

What are y'alls thoughts?

I saw a commercial for that new good start soothe with probiotics and it got me thinking.

Jackson has been having major tummy issues lately, terrible gas, he'll be asleep an then wake up screaming and then pass gas. The last few nights we've been trying to get him to go to sleep and he'll be laying in our arms, peaceful, and then tenses up and starts kicking and screaming, nothing we do seems to help, we've tried gas drops, bicycling his legs, foot ball hold, laying him on his tummy, warm baths, etc ... Then he seems to pass gas or has a bowel movement and he's okay for a little bit. Its breaking my heart.

So I started doing some research on gas drops, honestly they don't seem to do anything to help him, and now they're worrying me. And I'm wondering in the probiotics would help and be beneficial to him.

We have the twins 4 month check up next week and I'm going to talk to the doc then but I wanted to get y'alls take on it.

TIA

2. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

i gave my DD probiotics when she had diarrhea at about that same age (with Drs approval). You can get them at a health food store in powder form.
    I still use them occasionally when i feel like they might have something intestinal going on.
    It can't hurt.

I didn't think gas drops helped either.
    Could your DS be constipated? I only ask because that sounds like how my DS acted with mild constipation. Probably most intestinal discomfort shows with similar symptoms.

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The good start with probiotics in made my son's constipation/gas issues even worse. The only formula I could use was the regular good start in the orange can. Even so, I had to use karo syrup daily. Otherwise we'd have the crying/screaming fits, usually in the evening. I used karo with my 3 youngest kids in every single bottle, I just mixed it right into the pitcher of formula.

4. AKilburn

Honestly he acts like hes slightly constipated however when he has a bowel movement its normal so I'm not sure, he passes a lot of gas prior though.

I'm not switching formula we're on Nutramigen and probably will stay on it till they're off of formula, we had all sorts of tummy issues before the nutramigen.

I was just curious about the probiotics and if anyone had used them. I personally use them for myself and notice a major difference but didn't know if the baby ones would help my little man.

5. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I think they help but they work in such a way, it is hard to know for sure if it is definitely the probiotics and not just time. ;)

6. AKilburn

Yeah you're right. I'll talk to the doc Tuesday and see what she has to say.

7. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

If your doc gives you the green light, look for Culturelle Kids. It comes in these little single serve packets that you can mix or sprinkle with anything cold/cool. We use them all the time here.

8. Nanny88

Nanny88 Well-Known Member

At CVS and Wallgreens they sell these little packages of of pro-b for kids(Culturelle Kids). I used one in the morning bottle and one in the evening bottle and it help a ton. They were about 6 month when they got it for the first time. Do not mix it with a hot bottle or you can kill it.

9. wvtwinmama

wvtwinmama Well-Known Member

My little girl had the same problems and we tried probiotics with her. Honestly, I'm not sure they ever really made a difference, and I think she just sort of outgrew her intestinal issues. I hope they help your son, though!