Progesterone Shots for Singleton

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by weegus, Jan 4, 2012.

1. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Hi ladies! I am wondering if anyone has any experience with progesterone shots. I have had two preterm pregnancies and my doctor mentioned these shots to me. My twins were born big and healthy at 31 weeks and just needed NICU time to grow and learn to eat. My second pregnancy ended at 36 weeks with a healthy, 8 lb baby. I am currently 14 weeks pregnant with another singleton. If I were to decide to get these shots, I get them once a week from week 16-37. As of right now, I am unsure if my insurance will cover it.

I do not doubt that these shots would help keep my baby in longer, but I am unsure if I REALLY need them and I also worry about the long term side effects. Sure, my twins were preemies but that isn't that uncommon for twins (not that I ever want to do the NICU thing again). Technically, my third son was preterm but geez, he was 8 lbs!! My MIL insists that hormone treatment she received for her thyroid gave here breast cancer and my mother is also against it as well... just because I CAN get it doesn't mean I should. My husband is also against it. My gut reaction is also to pass on the shots and trust nature to do its thing, but there is always that "what if" lingering in my mind. I would rather regret getting them and deal with the side effects than not getting them and winding up with a sick little preemie. Anyone have any experience... good, bad, or indifferent? Anyone just have thoughts or advice? Thanks!

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With the boys and my previous FET's before them, I was on progesterone suppositories. I want to say I took those twice a day.

When I did my fet cycle with Annabella, that was with progesterone shots. I got those everyday for at least the first 8-10 weeks.

I didn't do research, as it was just in the protocol and I was looking at getting pregnant. If you are getting them once a week, I don't see how bad that can be. But again-I didn't do the research. It has to be something you are ok with. Have you talked it over in detail with your doctor?

I know of someone on here who had really early twins-before 30 weeks I think. And she is now 37 weeks pregnant with her singleton.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

From what I understand, insurance doesn't cover them and they are expensive. I also read an article that there was a shortage so check with your doctor about that.

Here is an NIH article about the benefits.

http://www.nih.gov/news/health/apr2011/nichd-06.htm

4. sheila185

sheila185 Well-Known Member

I am recieving the shots right now with my twin pregnancy. I get the injection once a week at the doctors office and my insurance DOES cover them. However, I have a cousin who also got the shot but the doctor did not offer them in the office so she had a visiting nurse come to her home and it was NOT covered.

I also did not do any research on the side effect.

Good Luck!

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I had them with Easton. Personally, I would get them if they were recommended by my dr. No doubt.

6. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I had progesterone suppositories with the twins following IVF, and I've had friends who had them to prevent miscarriage. I've never heard of them in the second half of pregnancy though. Maybe starting early and going slightly into the second half, but not starting basically at the half. That said, I would listen to your doctor. Prematurity, even at 35, 36, 37 weeks, CAN cause problems.

7. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

ditto this.

I had twin girls at 31.6 and they do have issues to being premature.

I took a lot of meds to try to get a few more weeks (and did, they almost arrived at 17,21,26, 28, and 30 weeks). Yes, some had side effects (magnesuim sulfate was awful!) but the extra days/weeks were worth it.

I took progestrone due to IVF for weeks 4-16. There is no way if the Dr suggested it (and it was routine protocol) would I not have done it.

8. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

My dr wanted me to have them with the twins, I was having issues with PTL. Insurance didn't cover, so we were unable to do them. I always wonder if it would have helped get me off bed rest and helped me keep them in longer. I would do them in a heartbeat to get my baby to full term.

9. kcprochazka

kcprochazka Well-Known Member

We have never done them and my dr has never suggested them. I did look into them with the boys' pregnancy, but since they aren't shown to help with multiples we never pursued it further. With the cerclage and modified bedrest (no real privileges revoked - just taking it easy and resting as much as possible) my uterus made it to measuring 44+ weeks with the boys, so this time around I'm quite sure that we'll make it to at least 36-37 weeks (am 28+ right now.) I guess a lot depends on why you went into labor too. I have IC, and the cerclage worked well for us.

10. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

Have you ever had your progesterone levels actually tested laster in your pregnancy? It is true that low progesterone can lead to premature birth and/or miscarriage. I have low progesterone. I had my levels continually monitored throughout my pregnancy with Becca. Luckily, my numbers stablized in the middle of my 2nd trimester. I know other women with a history of low progesterone who have started to go into premature labor as soon as they went off/reduced their progesterone supplements. Back on them, the labor/contractions stopped.

Personally, I'd take them if there was a chance I could reduce the chance my child would be born prematurely. I know progesterone shots are more effective, but I wonder if vag. suppositories would be an OK substitute. They are considerably cheaper. You can get them at a compounding pharmacist.

11. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for your advice, I sincerely appreciate it!! I struggled with the decision but ultimately, I decided against the shots and will see how things go. I will keep posted on the outcome.

12. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

UPDATE: At 22 weeks, I have been feeling lots of cramping and belly tightening already so I decided that I DO need the shots (didn't feel it until around 26 weeks with my past pregnancies). I feel very selfish and careless for not getting them sooner. I guess I didn't want to accept that maybe my body has trouble carrying a baby to term on its own. I did have my cervix measured at 20 weeks and it was 4.6 cm so things look good in that department, thankfully. I sincerely value everyone's advice on this website... I definitely should have listened!! Thank you!

13. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

It's not too late! Hope they keep labor off for a loooong time :)

14. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

UPDATE: My little one arrived at 38+5 weeks, 13 days after my last progesterone shot (which are effective for up to 10 days) so we made it to term!! Labor was fairly uneventful but slow to start. I labored most of the day at home until I couldn't take the pain anymore, then headed to the hospital at 4:00 pm. I did the same thing with my first singleton and was 5 cm when I arrived at the hospital. This time, I was only 2.5 cm... I couldn't believe it. How could I be in so much pain (even more so than with any other pregnancies) with contractions 4 minutes apart and only be 2.5 cm?!?!?! They observed me for 60 long and dreadful minutes and I did progress to 3.5 cm so up I went to get my epidural. Everything went smoothly after that... epidural at 7:00 pm, baby at 10:30 pm. I do wonder if the progesterone is why my labor got off to such a slow start. Thanks again to everyone for your support!!

15. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Welcome, Jillian! Let's see a pic, Meghan!

16. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Congrats, Meghan!

17. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations!! :wub:

19. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Hmm... I had to first figure out how to post a picture! Here are two photos of her, one alone and one with her brothers.

Jillian

The whole crew

20. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

She's so cute in the pic by herself! Congrats!