progesterone with twins

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jaam4eva, Oct 19, 2011.

1. jaam4eva

jaam4eva Well-Known Member

i'm seeing a lot of stuff on progesterone with twins... what is it supposed to be? should i be taking supplements? mine was 17 at 9 DPO, but that's the only time i've had it checked.

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I never took suplements. I think your number is in the normal range. If it was a concern your doctor would have put you on supplements by now.

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

A lot of people may have been on it because they went through fertility treatments to get pregnant and had issues with their progesterone. If you are concerned you can talk to your dr, they can give you a blood test to check your levels. Otherwise you'll probably be fine :) I was on progesterone supps for my singleton as well as my twins, not because I was having twins, but because I had progesterone issues.

4. SC

SC Well-Known Member

We did IVF for our boys. I was automatically placed on IM progesterone before we even conceived and was taken off of it, after several rounds of b/w, around 8 weeks. An IVF pregnancy is hormonally different than a spontaneous pregnancy and they like to make sure there is an adequate amount of progesterone present. I believe this is protocol in IVF.

With this spontaneous pregnancy, my number came back low (8) when originally tested at around 4-5 weeks. I believe it should be closer to 20 (or higher). I was placed on suppositories until 12 weeks when the established placenta takes over progesterone production and it was no longer needed.

There is also evidence to support that long-term progesterone use (up to 37 weeks) can stave off preterm labor. I was sent to a high risk doc to discuss this as an option because I delivered my boys very prematurely. In the end, it was decided that I should not be on progesterone as it is only indicated in singleton pregnancies where the mother has had a previous premature singleton birth (my premature birth was completely related to TTTS). It is not recommended in multiple gestations.

So, there are many uses for and reasons for progesterone. If your doctor is comfortable with your number and you have no previous indications for using it, you should be just fine.