Projectile vomit

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by janicecris, Apr 8, 2010.

1. janicecris

janicecris Active Member

Help... I am very frustrated with my DD... She had major spit up issues before but we were able to resolve it with adding Enfamil AR to her formula. That had been redolved but then in about a week and a half ago, she started projectile vommiting while feeding. Not all the time but at least once a day sometimes twice. Called my pedia but he was not too concerned about it because it does not happen all the time. I notice it happens more during the night but it can still happen in the morning from time to time. I just notice that when she eats a little fast there goes the formula. I tried slowing her down letting her rest in between feedings, tried different positions but she will sneak one on me... Its so frustrating! Anybody had this issue? Any suggestions? Just a little info, she is the smaller twin @ 4.6 lbs at birth. She was 8.12 lbs upon her last checkup on their 2nd month.

2. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

I don't have much advice but my one twin did this too, started around 6 weeks and by about 10 weeks it was done. I am not sure what caused it but I know she would guzzle her bottle and then throw it up.

3. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

If it is just occasional, she is still gaining weight and she does not appear to be in pain, then I wouldn't worry about it. We have had this same issue when they drink too much in one sitting. So if they give me cues that they are done, then I don't try to give them any more. No "c'mon just one more bite" type of thing here!

4. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

My son started doing this around 3 weeks old, he'd get this odd look on his face and projectile vomit out his mouth and nose, then he'd look at me all freaked out and made gasping sounds. It was terrifying! It seemed to happen mostly at night at first and then it started happening during the day sometimes too, he started spitting up a lot more often but not necessarily after every feeding. It was very frustrating and worrisome. He's almost 3 months old now and the spitting up has slowed way day for the most part, I'd say he spits up a large amount maybe once a week. I'm pretty sure the reason for his spitting up in the beginning was oversupply (I'm BF) because he gag and choke at the breast often. Now when he spits up it's usually after he is being fussy and latching and unlatching at the breast which I think causes him to get an air bubble trapped that brings it all back up. In the beginning I was very worried about it, so much so that I couldn't sleep, but my pedi insisted it was fine as long as he continued to gain well.