Promoting Music...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by debbie_long83, May 31, 2011.

1. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Both of my girls love music. Hannah especially. They love to sing, make up their own songs, or change the words to ones they know. Hannah is especially good at changing the words to a song. For instance, she will sing "twinkle twinkle little star" correctly, then change the words to "purple star" and just repeat that but in the same tune. (purple purple purple star, purple purple purple star..." or she will just sing "la la" to the tune of any number of songs. I don't know if this is something all kids her age do? Does that even make sense? lol.

Anyways, I want to keep their interest up. They have several percussion type instruments and a little play keyboard. We also listen to music a good bit. They enjoy shows like The Fresh Beat Band and Jack's Big Music Show, etc. Hannah is not able to do incredibly active things like dance or ball because of her CP, so I feel music/art would be a great outlet for her creativity.

I was in band in high school/college and play the flute, but that's it. I can't sing, play the piano, or anything like that. How young can you start piano lessons? I think Hannah would really enjoy that. Sorry for rambling...

2. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Suzuki method for various instruments starts at about 3, from what I understand. Most other music teachers I know prefer a child to be reading well before starting to play. I have a friend who also teaches Kinder Music classes, which is designed specifically for toddlers in a group setting. I don't know much more about that, but I know they have those all over the country.

But mostly, I'd find activities to help her continue to enjoy music. Maybe get some small instruments that she can just play and experiment with for now, like a lap harp, tambourine, harmonica, recorder, etc? My oldest 3 all take piano lessons, and I plan to have the other kids start in a couple of years. Sage started when she was 5, but she was a strong reader by then. Trey was about 6 1/2 and could have stood to wait at least another year, that first time didn't do much for him other than stress him out. Finding a teacher who was a better fit for him really helped, too. Adam was close to 7 and it was a pretty good fit. I've read a lot about how children's music studies, piano especially, really help develop the brain. And now that Sage is becoming quite good, it's so much fun for her. She finds real joy in it, and it's heavenly to have music filling our home. The boys aren't quite there yet, but liking it more and more.

3. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Piano depends on the method used. I would get out your local phone book and look up music lessons. Read the ads there and then start calling. In addition to kindermusik there is a program called early notes that different music school can pick up and give. Its kind of a all around try out for future music lesson.
    There is no way for us to know what's available in your area and it doesn't hurt to call and talk to people. Most places should also let you come and observe or have a trial class for free or cheap.

(My girls have been in music classes since 3 mostly because music is not a part of public primary education here.)

4. debbie_long83

Thanks ladies. She has a recorder, tambourine, moraccas, small drum, and a play keyboard (it's a very small disney princess one). We live in a pretty small area so I'll have to check into what is offered here, but I don't think there's much.

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I really like the Music Together CD's - we did the classes which were great but love the CD's. They have a great variety of music, great to dance to, it is not annoying for adults, and has more complex composition then the majority of kids music. You can but them from their website.

6. debbie_long83

There is a kindermusic class not far from here, but it's a bit more than we can pay right now...

Thanks Nancy, I will check into those cd's as well.

7. carlylafont

carlylafont Well-Known Member

I always have music on. I use the music on demand on our cable and leave the speakers on with the TV off. They have classified music from Jazz, reagae, 70's, kids, pop, etc... I am a dance person, so many times through out the day, we play what they call dance music ('70's- still clean-not like todays music, and funny I used to crave it when I was pregnant with them).. and we bop and twril around the house. My girls also have musical instruments and they love to listen to their dad play guitar. My girls are only 2 years old (almost 26months), so getting them focused on playing music seems to be just play and nothing serious. I encourage them to play with their music toys more than their others (but I don't have to do much of the encourage part, they love their drum and tamborines and keyboards). Even in the car, we sing and dance....

8. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

HAve you looked into your local Music Conservatory?? Ours offers classes for 3+.

They also had scholarships (we got one last year) so we paid 1/2. It was fabulous since we had access to the Arts program materials and had a really fun teacher!!

Kindermusic was way too $$ for us.

I love music--- I got my girls a microphone (kid), small instraments, and expose them to lots of types of music!! So far that is good for now. They LOVE to sing, dance!!

We also got some cute books in individual instraments at the library. OFten in the summer, we attend free concerts in the park (often polka, ragband, or classical).

9. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I'm an elementary music teacher. I'm glad to hear you want to encourage music for your children. Do you belong to a church? If so, get your girls involved in the preschool classes/choir. Kindermusik is great, but I agree that it is very costly. Musikgarten is also reputable. I do not recommend piano lessons for children under 3rd grade because they usually don't have the hand size or motor skills necessary yet. At the earliest, I would start in 2nd grade, but only if the child is EXTREMELY motivated. One of the easiest things you can do for your child to strengthen music skills is to say nursery rhymes. It really helps with beat competency. I'm amazed at the kindergartners who don't know any nursery rhymes. It's very sad. Expose your children to lots of different kinds of music: children's songs, folk songs, classical, world music, etc. The TV shows you listed are good. My kids also love Jack's Music Show (and also Laurie Berkner who does much of the music). Little Einsteins is also a good one for preschool kids. I believe episodes are available on iTunes if you don't get the Disney channels. John Feierabend (well-known for early childhood music education) has a DVD available of a series he did for PBS called Lomax the Music Hound. He also has some CDs with high-quality singing and songs. Old Joe Clark and Had A Little Rooster are two I can think of off the top of my head.

Westmusic.com is a good source for books, CDs, and instruments. Search their early childhood resources. I bought a ton of instruments for my girls preschool there. Lynn Kleiner instruments are sort of expensive, but VERY high quality.

A quick, easy activity: Do you have egg shakers? There is a Laurie Berkner song called I Know a Chicken that my kinders LOVE. Have them keep a steady beat during the verses. They can sing the echo. Then follow the directions in the song for the other egg parts.

1 person likes this.
  10. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I have also had some great luck finding interesting music on itunes and downloading. There are a set of songs to do with bean bags that the girls love. I looked it up after I went to story time at the library and they did this. They have you do different things like put the bean bag on your elbow, ankle, head, etc. Just a thought...I need to spend more time on iTunes...there is tons of stuff. Those music classes are way too expensive here.

11. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

You may want to contact your local Kindermusic - we were offered a scholorship and only had to pay for the materials - a small fraction of total cost. We werent able to keep it up due to conflicting therapy appointment and limited time once my husband went back to work. But always thought it was a really fun program.

12. Suffmann

Suffmann Member

I believe there are different programs and services which help to promote music.

13. Kessedi

Kessedi Well-Known Member

I want to promote my tracks but I know that right now their quality isn't the best. I have a cheap mic for my PC and I need a better instrument to record my music and voice. I managed to find a good one. View more about the best mic for acoustic guitar. Would you pick it?

14. RIKK_P

RIKK_P Member

In my opinion, the best way to promote your music is through Spotify. It's a good platform to start their career and get some money. So I can advise you to check out this website, which will help with the distribution of their music.