PTL question for moms with children older than their twins

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by beckstar, Aug 25, 2010.

1. beckstar

beckstar Active Member

i am wondering from you mamas who had children when you became pregnant w/ your twins...was your pregnancy similar to your singleton pregnancies lengthwise? did you experience PTL when you had first carried all your babies to term? i am reading all these stories of babies coming super early and getting a little nervous...two of my babies were fairly 'late' and one of them came pretty much on his due date...

i realize that twin pregnancies are a whole different ball game, but is there any rhyme or reason if you've been pregnant before?

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

My son was born 2 days before his due date. I had absolutely no complications with him. It was a dream pregnancy. Now my twins, arrgh. I went into PTL at 24 weeks, was admitted a total of 5 times for PTL, staying 1-1.5 weeks each time. I was on bedrest until I delivered. I did make it to 37 weeks though, after being told I would be lucky to make it to 28 weeks.

3. Sandy005

Sandy005 Well-Known Member

My previous 3 singleton pregnancies where not complicated at all and went to term give or take a couple days with all three. I also went to term with my twin pregnancy (well 37w6d ). It is so hard to tell what will happen. One of the peri Dr said the fact that I had 3 previous children, my uterus was on familiar grounds and then in the same breath - said - the uterus also decides when it's done and nobody knows when that will happen. Try not to worry, easier said than done I know -- but no reason to say "what if" all the time b/c there are just too many - and not just with pregnancies. Eat, rest, drink plenty of water and if something doesn't feel right don't hesitate to call the Dr, that's what they are there for! Hope you have a uneventful pregnancy!! And TS has great ladies to ask question to and get wonderful advice. Congrats times 2!!

4. Chrijodo

Chrijodo Well-Known Member

DS 1 was born at 40 weeks 3 days by induction
    DS 2 was born at 37 weeks 3 days after a failed external version that needed a c-section do to decelerations
    Twins were born at 34 weeks even after spontaneous rupture of membranes.

5. PinkDiamonds

PinkDiamonds Well-Known Member

My 1st (single pregnancy) lasted till 39w 6d by induction, which we requested for.

This is my 2nd pregnancy and it's been uneventful so far. I am hoping it stays this way for another 6 weeks.

I agree with Sandy that the uterus knows when it's had enough and it's time for the babies to be out. There's really too much to worry about in a twin pregnancy. Try not to think about "what ifs" but rather DO what you can to prevent them instead! That includes a good diet, water, rest and positive emotions!

6. KStorey

KStorey Well-Known Member

I agree. Just put your feet up, drink lots and don't worry too much. My DD was 39wks (induced for pre-e), DS1 a week late, DS2 almost two weeks late and the twins were 37w4days. We induced them cause they were in a good position and I was having signs of pre-e. They were 6lb13oz and 7lb so I'm glad they came then! (DS2 was a 10lb baby and my fear was they would get to that size) Good luck. Enjoy that belly and try not to stress.

7. kumphort

kumphort Well-Known Member

I think that people that have babies early make for better stories, it's "boring" to read about people that had babies at 37 + weeks, and we tend to remember and are told about preemie babies because that makes for better stories, but somewhere on this site is a poll about when people had their babies, and most were born after 36 weeks.

The fact that you had previous full term pregnancies while not a guarantee can only be a positive

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My twin pregnancy was way different than my singleton pregnancy. With my oldest DD I had no PTL at all and she was born at 41w. With my twin pregnancy my cervix shortened at 24w and I had PTL starting then and then my twins were born very early. My OB and peri told me that since my first pregnancy went to full term that would really help me with my twin pregnancy, unfortunately that was not the case for me. :( But it all ended well, my twins are 4.5 and are exactly where they should be and show no signs of being born prematurely. :good:

9. tracilynn

tracilynn Well-Known Member

My first was born at 35 wks due to premature rupture of membranes.

My second came at 38 weeks went into labor.

My twins I made it to my c sec date and was not dilated soft effaced short. Nothing was going on! So my twin pregnancy was prob my least PTL.

10. beckstar

beckstar Active Member

thanks so much, girls. you really kind of get advice from two camps about twin pregnancy...there's the prepare for the worst cuz its going to happen camp and the its all gonna be ok, try to relax camp...haha.

im usually a relaxer! i just dont wanna get caught off guard, i guess...and im already feeling so much more pregnant than usual at this time...so it just has me a little...alarmed.

:) i DO realize the power of positive thought and good communication with the babies and im really focusing on this pregnancy being great/going well...:)

11. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

I had my first DD at 37 weeks. I had the twins at 35 weeks 5 days. The only problem I had with either pregnancy was gestational diabetes.

12. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I carried my first two to their scheduled c-section dates - one at 38+1, the other to 39+3. My OB did not think I would make it to my scheduled c date with the twins - I was 90+% effaced for the last month plus, although only dilated to a 1-2 - but he did say that the best predictor of how long I would last was my past pregnancy "performance." I did make it to my scheduled date at 38+5. Very miserable, but I made it (OB would've delivered earlier, but I wanted a particular birthdate - since I had no complications, he indulged me).

Good luck!!

13. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

My first, dd was 4 days late
    My second, ds was 10 days late
    The twins born at 36w3d. I really think I would have gone 40w with them but my pelvis separated and my doc recommended taking them early and I agreed. No bed rest and lots of Braxton hicks, no PTL. I was just as active with the twins as I was with both my singletons. (Hmmm, maybe that's why my pelvis separated? [​IMG] )

14. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My first was born at 37 weeks (but I had a stomach virus & got dehydrated, which caused labor to begin).
    My second was born at 41 weeks.
    My third I was induced at almost 42 weeks.
    With the twins, I was induced at 37 weeks.

The pregnancies were all easy & uncomplicated, other than the major discomfort that comes toward the end of a twin pregnancy, especially when the babies are big (mine were both over 7 pounds).

15. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My son came a week after his due date and I had to be induced. Once the doc broke my water he came within two hours. I had a very uncomplicated birth with him.

I had more complications with my girls and they came exactly a month early, but they had fantastic weights (both close to 6 lbs.) and no NICU time.

16. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

I do know your odds are better with full term babies already under your belt. I am expecting twins again adn last tiem had PTL at 30 weeks and 6 weeks of bedrest before they came. The dr told me I had only a 25% chance of PTL again. I thought it would be a lot higher than that. Eat lots, drink lots, rest, don't stand if you can sit. You can make it. Go in if you thinkj you might be having contractions, the sooner they dcan stop them the better.

17. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

I had my twins first, but they were born at 36w4d after rupter of membranes, by c-section due to first one being breech. My son, who cam 18 months later, was born at 41 weeks by scheduled c-section, but I was showing signs of labor so either way he would have come that day or the next.

I had zero issues with my son other than low blood sugar upon birth and fluid on the lungs that required a 5 day NICU stay.
    My twins I was on bedrest at 22 weeks for PTL and started dilating at 29 weeks - they made it to the 36w4d and had no NICU stay at all.