Pump Failing?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by DblStuffOreo, Jan 2, 2013.

1. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

How can you tell if your pump is failing? I have an old Pump N Style - handed down by my sister. It worked with her son 4 years ago and the twins 2 years ago. Now I am using it with my son. After he was first born in July, I used it and it seemed fine; but, now I can never seem to have any meaningful let down. Last night I pumped for 15 minutes and got only 1 Tbsp. I assume I had something in there because I felt full. But, I also felt like I was starting to form a clogged duct - the hard pebble feeling. My son nurses just fine, so there seems to be enough to satisfy him, which is why I think it is the pump. The cups seem to have suction. I did stop pumping for a few months, but I am heaing to work in a few weeks, so I need to get it going again. If the pump isn't failing, could me body be "rejecting" it? So baffled. Thoughts?

2. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

Have you replaced the membranes lately - the small white rubbery discs. I read they can wear out after 3 mos or so.

3. DblStuffOreo

Yep. I have a bad nack for tearing them, and bought a whole pack of replacements. I also have multiple valves because I was notorious for leaving them at home, but taking my pump to work. It was faster to hit the BRU around the corner and re-buy rather than run home.

Good idea, though. Any other thoughts.

4. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Check out this blog post from another twin mom: http://mcmunnbabies.blogspot.com/2012/12/pump-update.html

She had some trouble with her PIS and found a tear in the interior of the system. You might try checking to see if you have a similar issue.

Also, you might try lying it on it's side. My PIS seems to work better when it's lying with the face plate straight up. Don't know why exactly, it just does.

Good luck! I'll think about it more when I pump tonight and let you know if anything else comes to mind.

5. DblStuffOreo

Thanks for the ideas. I pulled the face plate off the pump and everything was intact. I am now coming to the scary conclusion that my supply is the problem, but the pump. So, I am going to start trying to re-establish my supply. Wish me luck!

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When I had the twins, I pumped a lot & never had trouble switching between pumping and breastfeeding. But with Emmett, who's been nearly breastfed exclusively, I don't ever seem to let down for the pump very well. I think our bodies become accustomed to letting down for the baby. All that to say, I expect your supply is fine it's just that your body hasn't become accustomed to the pump yet.

7. DblStuffOreo

I think you may be on to something. I went and rented a hospital pump, just to compare suction. It had moderately better results on the first day. Since I rented it for the month, I kept using it. Each day it gets a bit better. Perhaps pumping is like riding a bike - it takes a few tries before you do it well. So, thanks all for the ideas.

ALL: Sorry all my typos and incoherent sentences above. I am still adjusting to life with 3 under 3, and doing this on the fly!