Pumping to store up for return to work...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Mom2VLS, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I've gotten a late start on pumping for my return to work (in a week!) and I'm running into a problem. Every time I pump one or both of the girls gets hungry soon after I finish and I end up in a multi-hour battle of them nursing constantly because there's nothing left to give them. This happens even though I try to pump as soon as a feeding ends. I may try to tandem feed them before pumping to try to buy an extra 15 to 20 minutes but I don't know that it will help because they never seem to eat as well that way. Any other suggestions?

2. ihavesevensons

ihavesevensons Well-Known Member

Pump for a few minutes just BEFORE you feed them and then feed them from the breast. The babies can work harder than the pump to 'empty' your breasts. I know that this goes against everything that they tell you about pumping, but I swear to you that it works!!!! Breastfeeding is a supply and demand thing, you will be making extra milk in NO TIME!!!!!

:youcandoit:

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Pick set times during the day that you pump & try to pump at those times as regularly as possible. In terms of your twins nursing behavior, it will mimic what happens during a growth spurt (ie frequent feeding) because you essentially need your body to make MORE milk now. Stick with it for a week & things will settle back to normal.

4. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll try both of those. Making milk isn't too much of a problem for me (I actually tend to have an oversupply and will probably run out of freezer space in a month or so) but coordinating the pumping and nursing while still sleep deprived had me stuck.

5. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

I found that pumping after the first feeding of the day gave me the most milk and gave me a decent interval in between feedings. The other option is to pump in the evening after they start dropping a feeding to sleep 4-5 hours.