purple spots on baby's legs...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by heartofdixiemama, Oct 15, 2007.

1. heartofdixiemama

heartofdixiemama Well-Known Member

I took my son to the doctor for the small purple spots on his legs, the first doctor took a look and assured me it wasn't Purpura as I had googled on the net; but she felt she needed to call one of the other docs in the practice in to take a look...he seconded her opinion and they agreed that while they really could put no specific name to the spots (they called it a "benign rash") they wanted me to watch it carefully and if it spreads or is associated with any other symptoms (fever, change in appetite, change in behavior) to come back in.

What is really weird to me is this: I noticed the spots on Saturday and that's the first day I had the boys in their new carrier...it doesn't squeeze their legs or anything; but when I took them to the doctor's office today (in their carrier) I noticed there were more spots, of course that could be due to their lighting--everything looks worse in the doctor's office! I asked the doctor if there could be any correlation, and she said no. What do ya'll think?

I really can't believe there's no name for what he has. WEEEEEIRD.

2. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I don't know if you're talking about spots from poor circulation, or something raised? Emma was always my purple spotted kid, legs, hands...but she eventually grew out of it.

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

How strange! I hope they go away soon!

4. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

As my babies got heavier they started to get sort of purpe spotty legs when we put them in the baby bjorn, especially Evan. I assumed it was a circulation issue. It worried me at first but then I saw it always cleared up within a few minutes of getting out of the bjorn.

5. heartofdixiemama

QUOTE(MichelleL @ Oct 16 2007, 06:52 AM) [snapback]452549[/snapback]
    Hmmm...I don't know if you're talking about spots from poor circulation, or something raised? Emma was always my purple spotted kid, legs, hands...but she eventually grew out of it.

These spots aren't raised; but they're not the ones you see from poor circulation either...it looks like someone took a purple marker and made tiny dots all over the bottom half of his little legs...if you google "purpura" it looks like that, but not as many.

QUOTE(CHJH @ Oct 16 2007, 07:43 AM) [snapback]452611[/snapback]
    As my babies got heavier they started to get sort of purpe spotty legs when we put them in the baby bjorn, especially Evan. I assumed it was a circulation issue. It worried me at first but then I saw it always cleared up within a few minutes of getting out of the bjorn.

I thought the same thing..since I first noticed the spots the first time I put him in the Maximom; but they didn't clear up....I used it at the doctor's office as well 2 days later....but she assured me that had nothing to do with it!? Who knows...He's an otherwise healthy baby though, eating good, he spits up a moderate amount, but he's still gaining weight. And he's happy most of the time. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

6. SilvrHeart

SilvrHeart Well-Known Member

he's definitely not allergic to the carrier? that would be my first thought.

7. DenaP

DenaP Well-Known Member

my little guy has these too. Right now he has them. I asked my ped about it and she just looked blankly at me. I also notice them after I have had him in the carrier. BUT the ones he has right now have been there for a few days...
    I am so worried after looking up Purpura...

8. heartofdixiemama

yeah, the purpura thing scared me as well...but on a positive side, it did say that purpura usually clears up on its own after a while, with no medical intervention...and if not they can prescribe prednisone...

it's weird though....i don't understand the correlation between the carriers and the spots...the only thing i could speculate about that was that they might be broken blood vessels; but the carrier has padded drawstring legs, and the doc said it wasn't broken blood vessels....

my son has had these since saturday...we saw the doc on monday, she said don't worry unless they get worse, so i am just watching him....

..DenaP, did your pedi DO anything about them, besides act like you had a problem! jeeeez...did she even give you some sort of explanation? i've only come up with purpura; but they ruled that out, i'd just love to know what is up with the spots!!

9. DenaP

DenaP Well-Known Member

nothing but a blank stare. I emailed her yesterday to since he has them again and I have yet to hear from her. I'll keep you posted!
    Dena

10. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I would try washing the carriers just in case there is a chemical on them from the manufacturing process that could be the cause.