Question about all the recalled toys

Discussion in 'General' started by Kimmaker, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Kimmaker

Kimmaker Well-Known Member

Okay since i've only had a couple of toys that have been recalled i have a question.

How does the lead affect people? If my children don't put it in their mouth is it okay to keep. My kids are older and not putting things in their mouth anymore.

I know stupid question...

2. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kimmaker @ Oct 5 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]437152[/snapback]
    I know stupid question...

Not stupid at all.
    Too much lead can cause serious damage to the brain, kidneys, nervous system, and red blood cells.
    You have the greatest risk, even with short term exposure, if you are a young child, or you are pregnant.
    I forgot to add that it can be inhaled as well.

3. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

Lead is toxic. Bad stuff. QUOTE
    Children under the age of six—and fetuses—are those at greatest risk of the health effects associated with exposure to lead. They are particularly vulnerable because at that age, their brain and central nervous system are still forming. Lead is a powerful neurotoxin that interferes with the development of these systems as well as the kidney and blood-forming organs.

The risk of keeping the toys around is if the lead paint flakes or rubs off. If inhaled as dust, the lead is absorbed very quickly. Or if the paint dust gets on their fingers and then in to their mouths. Honestly, just get rid of the toys. It's not worth the risk. Unless it's some heirloom toy -- in which case, just put it away or high on a shelf.

4. Kimmaker

Kimmaker Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the information.