Question about Bottles and Mixing Formula

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by hope26, Jan 26, 2007.

1. hope26

hope26 Well-Known Member

I was wondering what container you all use to mix your formula? Also, what kind of bottles do you use? My babies' chronological age is 9 weeks, but corrected age is about 2 weeks. I have been using the Gerber 4 oz bottles since they are cheap (and I can buy a ton of them) and simple like the ones in the NICU, and I've been mixing and storing the formula in Gerber 8 oz bottles.

2. hope26

hope26 Well-Known Member

I was wondering what container you all use to mix your formula? Also, what kind of bottles do you use? My babies' chronological age is 9 weeks, but corrected age is about 2 weeks. I have been using the Gerber 4 oz bottles since they are cheap (and I can buy a ton of them) and simple like the ones in the NICU, and I've been mixing and storing the formula in Gerber 8 oz bottles.

3. TeeandGee

TeeandGee Well-Known Member

You are doing exactly what I have been doing for the past 3 months. I also use the exact same bottles. I am sure there is a better way but it has worked for us so far!

I know some people mix a large batch and put it in the fridge in a pitcher or something and then pour from there as needed.

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I use my Pampered Chef Quick stir pitcher to make a batch of formula. I make enough for the whole day. I also use the gerber bottles and nipples. When mine first came home from the NICU I used the slow flow, now we use fast flow, plus we add cereal to each bottle for reflux.

5. HH996

HH996 Well-Known Member

I also use the PC Quick Stir pitcher (family size)....make life soooo much easier. I just make the whole can each day or so. We use either the avent or soothie bottles. However, the twins are getting better with their podee bottles (and hands-free life saver!).
    HH

6. stepmom35

stepmom35 Active Member

I use Dr. Brown...expensive, but worth it. I also mix in the blender and put pitcher in fridge.

7. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

We use the larger 9oz Gerber bottles with the purple lids. Every night, we make a big batch of formula in the blender and store it in large Rubbermaid plastic jugs in the fridge. Sometimes we pre-pour the bottles, put the caps on and store those in the fridge. This way, we are only making formula once a day. Before feeding, we warm them in the microwave to take the chill off (30 seconds for 9oz - adjust time to amount in bottle).

Up until about 2 months, we were making one bottle at a time prior to every feeding. When they started eating more than 6oz, there was not enough room in the bottle to properly shake/mix the formula so we switched to the blender. I wish we had used the blender and storage in the fridge from the beginning! It saves tons of time and we can feed a hungry baby much faster. Also, because the blender does a better job of mixing the formula, we no longer have clogged nipple issues.

8. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

I use the tupperware shaker (it has a thing inside that helps break up the lumpys). Then I pour it into my cheapo gerber bottles. I spent a ton of money looking for "good" bottles, but they only like the cheap ones! [​IMG] I have 6-10 bottles sitting in the fridge, so I can just grab/heat & serve. Now that they are getting bigger - sometimes I just mix up one at a time..but that is what I usually do and did when they were smaller and demand feeding.

9. txtwinmom2b

txtwinmom2b Well-Known Member

I was also going to suggest the PC pitcher. A lot of the ff'ing moms have said that this was great!

When we were using bottles, we would use Avents or the Playtex nursers. Fortunately, my boys weren't picky on what bottles they used.

10. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I bought a plastic container from Walmart and used my small pampered chef whisk and made one batch of formula to fill the bottles for the day, and then another batch to keep in the fridge to fill the bottles again at night. I used Avent 4 oz. bottles at that age (which I had bought because of breastfeeding). Plus, the Avent with #1 nipples seemed to be the only nipple that came out at the right speed for my girls. All other bottles, the nipples either choked them because the milk came out too fast, or irritated them because they couldn't get enough milk.