Question about Circumcision

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rhc0607, Aug 28, 2009.

1. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

Both of my boys were circumcisized when they were born, but over the past 2 weeks I have noticed that one of them still has a lot of skin around the head of the penis. When changing his diaper, I still have to pulled some skin back to clean it. The head of the penis is visible, but only half way. Anyone else have this problem??

2. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Both of mine are like that. I don't really know if it's a problem or not, but that's how they are. Over time I have had to pull back less skin, so perhaps they grow into their circumcision.

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

Same here. Do be sure to pull it back though at diaper changes, because it can re-adhere. You can put a bit of vaseline there to keep it from happening also.

4. rhc0607

I was just googling it and it said to put vaseline on the penis so it wont re-adhere. I wish the doctor would have told me that this could happen.

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

A lot of boys have that problem at first and grow out of it. A good test is to pull down on the base of the penis and see if that makes the head visible. With our DS, it still did not, and he had a recircumsion done at 10 months. Just talk to your pedi, and he or she will be able to monitor it, tell you if it looks normal, and direct you appropriately. It's not going to hurt him or be a medical issue most likely (he may have some adhesions, but that's fairly normal). They won't do anything until after 6 months because it's general anesthesia if they have a recirc.

6. rhc0607

Thanks for the replys, just wanted to make sure his circumcision wasn't done wrong!

7. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

Same with ours. We have to clean them. I asked one of the hospital doctors about this, and they said... circumcisions are done differently than they used to. They leave a LITTLE bit of the foreskin. I don't think they used to.

It's normal.

8. bekkiz

bekkiz Well-Known Member

Our urologist said they do this to allow the boys to "grow into" the procedure. I think it's pretty normal, not a problem.

9. lawilliams77

lawilliams77 Well-Known Member

That is actually normal. No two circs are the same. It probably will change as he grows, but will never be a problem for him.

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They also have more fat pads down there than they will as boys/men, it's a ring of fat under the skin that causes it to look like that. As others said, it's normal, just make sure you pull down and clean around the head gently :)