Question about fraternals

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ireland37, Dec 3, 2006.

1. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

I am preggo with spontaneous fraternal twins. Can they run on both sides or just the maternal side? I think I incorrectly assumed just maternal. I always assumed that since the mom produces 2 eggs the dad's 'contribution' makes no difference. Just curious!

2. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

I am preggo with spontaneous fraternal twins. Can they run on both sides or just the maternal side? I think I incorrectly assumed just maternal. I always assumed that since the mom produces 2 eggs the dad's 'contribution' makes no difference. Just curious!

3. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

It's indeed the mom that provides the eggs so the dad doesn't have much to do with it. However, the mom can inherit the genetics from her mom and/or dad.

4. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

Twins have nothing to do with the fathers side. Fraternals can be hereditary on the moms side but Identicals have nothing to do with either side

5. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

I am also preggo with spontaneous fraternal twins. [​IMG] I learned basic info about twins from child development classes,(and then researched it online when I found out I was having twins) everything I learned said twins were maternal only.

Up until we found out we were having fraternal I was still wondering if somehow my husband's genetics weren't part of it as there is no family history of twins on either side of my family, and I have no of the other "factors" for increasing my chance conceiving twins other than I am over 30 (I am 31!)but my husband's family does (he and one of his brothers had a fraternal twin who died early on, and he has twin siblings,nieces and cousins)

I think if my twins were identical I would think it did have something to do with DH's genes, but I guess I was just really fertile the month I got pregnant!

6. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Your babies' dad played no role in the double egg drop but your own father's genetics could be a contributing factor.

7. threetobe

threetobe Well-Known Member

My OB told me what others have written, too -- fraternals run down the mother's line only. This is the case with my twins as well.

She also said that identicals are considered "a lightening strike" and completely random although I've come across references to studies that link them to genetics. I tend to believe my OB, though.