Question about glucose testing

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by RondaJo, Jan 23, 2008.

1. RondaJo

RondaJo Well-Known Member

I get my glucose tested next Wednesday. Which I remember with my previous pregnancies the old office told that I had to wait until 28 weeks for the glucose test...I will only be 22 weeks. Have things changed? That's not what I'm wondering about though. lol With my other pregnancies I *think* I remember having to fast after midnight before going to do this. Is that correct? They didn't tell me anything when I set up the appointment. Thanks.

2. firemedic

firemedic Well-Known Member

I didn't have to fast and was told to do it anytime between 22-24 weeks.

3. 2IrishBlessings

2IrishBlessings Well-Known Member

I thought 26-28 weeks was the "normal" weeks to be tested too. I was tested 4 different times with my twins so I dont remember when I first got tested but I do remember having to fast. I cried as we waited and waited I was so hungry. I would call and ask just to be safe. I hope you pass your test ;)

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I did not have to fast or do anything different than normal. I just had mine done at 26 weeks. I think 28 weeks is what they shoot for though.

5. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

like I said in my other post, they put me in at overweight so I test at 8 weeks, 20 weeks and 28 weeks. I think its a little excessive since they typically only schedule them at 26-28 weeks. Is it possible they have you testing at a higher frequency?

6. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

I am having my test on Monday. I will be 25 weeks on Tuesday. My dr. said with singles they usually do it between 26-28, but with twins they do it around 24 unless you have had sugar in your urine tests. They said for the hour long test they do not have you fast and actually encourage you to eat, just nothing sugary. If you have to have the three hour test then you will have to fast. Good luck on your test.

7. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

I didn't have to fast either...mine was at 26 weeks.

8. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

They told me I HAD to eat before the test. In fact they gave me a paper outlining a VERY high carb diet to follow for 48 hours prior to the test. This was at 24 weeks. I also had one at 12 weeks that I had to fast for.

They tested me twice as I was overweight and high risk. Luckily I breezed through it both times.

I wonder if I will have to have extra testing again this time. My twin pregnancy was uneventful with no real issues.

I still am not sure I am pregnant though. AF is due in 5 more days. we shall see!

9. egoury

egoury Well-Known Member

My dr. told me I would have mine at 28 weeks which is when she had me do it with the twins.

10. BaaRamEwe

BaaRamEwe Well-Known Member

I had mine on Tuesday, I didn't have to fast or anything. I was 26 weeks.

11. New Mom

New Mom Well-Known Member

I was just given a paper at my docs today explaining my test. I am taking it next month and I will be 30 weeks.

It says to not eat or drink anything but water for 1 hour prior to drinking the beverage. Try to avoid junk food the morning of the test. You may not eat or drink anything but water from the time you drink the beverage until your blood is drawn.

Drink the bottle within 10 minutes.

THey gave me the bottle to take home so I could drink it before I came in for the appointment.

Hope that helps.