Question about Godparents

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by forbiddendonut, Jun 22, 2009.

1. forbiddendonut

forbiddendonut Well-Known Member

Are you going to/do you have the same Godparents for both of your twins, or are you supposed to get two sets? My hubby and I were talking about that this weekend and don't know what the "norm" is in this situation. Thoughts?

2. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Mine don't have Godparents, but I am guessing if they did I would want them to be the same person/couple for both :good:

3. forbiddendonut

forbiddendonut Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's my thought, too!

4. DoneYet?

DoneYet? Well-Known Member

It depends on your religious preference or family tradition. In ours (Greek Ortho) girl babies have one set and boys have another. So the three princes have one set and our princess has a new set, our church ahd to approve of them also. We waited so long for some Pink in our family that her dress was more elaborate than my wedding gown (that we disassembled to make her dress)

I think the Christian view is that multiples get the same set, because if God forbid somethng happes to you they are to step in and raise the babes.

I swear the reason Greek women live so long is the mere fact they dont want the sblis split up (boys/girls)

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine don't have Godparents, but if I did it, I would probably give each twin their own set of Godparents. :pardon:

6. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

We are Catholic, not sure that matters ornot. The twins have the same god parents and Tyler will also have the same god parents as their brothers. My brother and sister are a VERy important part of my life and this is an honor for them. if we have any more children my brother and sister will also be their godparents as well. These days it does not mean what it used to.

7. caba

caba Banned

Godparents don't really mean anything ... in the legal sense. If something were to happen to you and your spouse, they wouldn't by default go to their Godparents. Unless of course the same couple was specified in your will. So you can have whoever you want be Godparents. My twins each have their own set of god parents. One has my sister and her husband. The other has my brother and my SIL. If something were to happen to me and DH, both kids are going to my sister and her husband.

Godparents are supposed to be responsible for the spiritual upbringing of the child. It really has nothing to do with who gets them. We liked using more than one couple so that we could honor several important people in our life.

8. LeeandJenn15

LeeandJenn15 Well-Known Member

We are similar to PP. We used two sets of godparents. In the Catholic view, they are supposed to be responsible for the spiritual upbringing of the child if the parents are lax. I liked the idea of each set being able to focus on praying for and being there for one child. My siblings all had separate godparents - we've never shared.

9. TennesseeMomma

TennesseeMomma Well-Known Member

We chose one set of godparents, but we did think of having two sets...I guess I just liked the idea of their godparents praying for both of them....

10. ihavesevensons

ihavesevensons Well-Known Member

Since we have 8 kids, we ran out of Godparents (we like to use only family members, not friends) by the time that we got to the twins....so they have the same set....if we could have, we would have had different ones.

For the baby that we had after the twins, we used our oldest 2 sons....since we used all of the extended family members already.

11. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

QUOTE(caba @ Jun 23 2009, 07:35 AM) [snapback]1365001[/snapback]
    Godparents are supposed to be responsible for the spiritual upbringing of the child. It really has nothing to do with who gets them. We liked using more than one couple so that we could honor several important people in our life.

I couldn't have said it better. We have three different sets for our kids.

12. RG215

RG215 Well-Known Member

We too are catholic and have more women/girls in the family then boys. Since the godparents are responsible for the spiritual up bringing of the child we have decided to ask my cousin to be the godfather to both, but will have 2 different sisters be the godmothers.

13. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

We are catholic, each boy will have separate set of godparents.